Im lost. Help if you can & Ill shut up. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Im lost. Help if you can & Ill shut up.

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
2thbob
2010 JK Wrangler 

Im lost. Help if you can & Ill shut up.

I just want to do this right. 2010 rubicon. Thought 33" tires would do fine, but that changes gearing to the tall side.( right?) and its already not a overly strong feeling motor, so what If i was going to hire a shop to re gear the differentials and put 35" tires on it. What gears would need to be installed to make it just like factory, or even a touch lower ? If I did that would it need to have the superchip stuff done (computer reprogram shift points?).--not sure if superchip is the right word. This will be my daily driver. No hills & rocks around here, just snow, fields and ditches.

2thbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Their having this very discussion just a few threads down the forum.(here) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/p...-mods-1072554/
The best advice would be to slow down and spend some time here on JeepForum doing some research before making your final decisions.
Welcome to the Club

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My '08 with 3.73 and auto trans is perfectly fine on 33's (285/70R17) with the Superchips Flashpaq.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Sometimes I get amazed at the same old question being asked almost daily. Even if some never do a search it seems like all one would have to do is just scroll down the page a bit and find something about gears.
I hate using the search function here too, but come on for Christ sake.
This is not directed to anyone specific and I’m not trying to be an ***, just saying…
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

With an automatic, the following works well:

4.56 with 33's
5.13 with 35's
5.38 with 37's

Even if you don't regear, you still need to flash the computer when changing tire size. The dealer can only flash to a maximum of 32" tires.

With 32's, you can go with 4.10's or 4.56. Without flashing the computer, your speedometer and odometer will be off.

As for as programmers, people seem to get the best results with superchips flashpaq. The AEV Procal is also popular.
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

why dont you put the tires on first and see what its like. and if you hate it and have money to spend then do it...

but depending on the terrain you drive on daily and your driving habits you may not need it, or need to spend the money
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
4wheelgizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
My '08 with 3.73 and auto trans is perfectly fine on 33's (285/70R17) with the Superchips Flashpaq.
Do you have stock wheels? Any lift or spacers?
4wheelgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This has been discussed at least 8,000,000 times and nothing has changed. The 42rle auto was in TJ's in 05 and 06 so this has been widely discussed since then. For 35's, 5.38 is absolutely ideal with the 42rle. 5.13 will do fine.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Ajaxxx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Sometimes I get amazed at the same old question being asked almost daily. Even if some never do a search it seems like all one would have to do is just scroll down the page a bit and find something about gears.
I hate using the search function here too, but come on for Christ sake.
This is not directed to anyone specific and I’m not trying to be an ***, just saying…
I've decided that most forums need to also have a wiki attached. Once something has been hashed over a few times, and a forum consensus it achieved, that information can be transferred into a short writeup. That way newbies such as myself can hit the 'encyclopedia' and read up on topics without scrolling through the actual conversations that created the consensus. It needs to be structured of course.

I think the repeat posting is going to get worse before better. Mainly because more and more people (myself included) hit the forums with smartphones. Doing searches or scrolling isn't as user friendly on small screens. It's faster at lunch to post your question and wait for email linked replies to pop up on the phone. I've caught myself doing the same thing when travelling on the road. Until we have better apps for forums, its going to be a behavior we all deal with.

Anyway, back to topic...
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelgizmo View Post
Do you have stock wheels? Any lift or spacers?
Stock 17" Rubicon style wheels. No lift, no spacers (yet). The only thing I had to do was place two thin washers on each steering stop to keep the tires from rubbing the hard brake line and swaybar. It ever so barely touches the flares when flexed hard so I'm going to put in a set of 3/4" spacers in the front to keep that from happening, while leveling out the suspension for a better look at the same time.

The 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler that I chose to run is a 32.7x11.50 actual measurements...

In all honesty, the Flashpaq made the increased tire size almost totally unnoticeable since it adjusted the shift points so well. IMO, the issues with the 42RLE auto (super steep OD gear) is going to be a problem no matter what tire size or gearing you're running until you get to 4.56 or lower (numerically higher) diff gears. The flashpaq is what makes it so much more tolerable and comfortable, allowing me to continue enjoying driving the thing until money is saved to properly gear it where the factory should have in the first place.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
4wheelgizmo

Quote:
Stock 17" Rubicon style wheels. No lift, no spacers (yet). The only thing I had to do was place two thin washers on each steering stop to keep the tires from rubbing the hard brake line and swaybar. It ever so barely touches the flares when flexed hard so I'm going to put in a set of 3/4" spacers in the front to keep that from happening, while leveling out the suspension for a better look at the same time.

The 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler that I chose to run is a 32.7x11.50 actual measurements...
Thanks
4wheelgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I'll second this. I have the 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers and the Flashpaq. I don't notice any power difference over stock.

Quote:

In all honesty, the Flashpaq made the increased tire size almost totally unnoticeable since it adjusted the shift points so well. IMO, the issues with the 42RLE auto (super steep OD gear) is going to be a problem no matter what tire size or gearing you're running until you get to 4.56 or lower (numerically higher) diff gears. The flashpaq is what makes it so much more tolerable and comfortable, allowing me to continue enjoying driving the thing until money is saved to properly gear it where the factory should have in the first place.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
RustyStolzz
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just put 35's on my 2010 JK. As I expected huge power loss. I went with 4:88's (6sp) and bought a superchip. After getting used to the new gear ratio I gotta say it was worth the money! I have more power around town and on the freeway then I did stock. My gas milage hasn't recovered at all even with the eco program. I'm hoping I won't regret not adding lockers at the same time but I just didn't have the cash. Hope this helps.
RustyStolzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gears , JK Wrangler , tires , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.