I'm in Bumper Limbo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I'm in Bumper Limbo

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Chase__Smith

I'm in Bumper Limbo

I have a 2013 Jeep Sahara, and I have been looking at getting a new bumper that has a brush guard. The more research I've done, the more lost and frustrated I've gotten. I was looking at the Rampage Recovery bumper, 1st photo, but it seems like the quality isn't that great. Some say the textured coating rubs off and signs of rust after a year of installation. I also looked at the Fab Four Lifestyle bumper, 2nd photo, and aside front the high price, it doesn't have anywhere to mount my front license plate and not sure if the price really makes it worth it? I like the look of both the Rampage and Fab Four. Has anyone installed an Aries brush guard with their stock bumper? Definitely the cheapest option, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. So I'm really not sure what the best option is. I'd like the simplest to install and the most functional at the end of the day, and obviously the looks play a huge roll in the decision. I felt like I had narrowed my options, but it doesn't seem that way anymore.

Just curious about other people's thoughts on this, their experiences with replacing the stock bumper with a new one, how installation went, good brand recommendations, etc. Thanks for the help!

rpg-86510-c.jpg

unknown.jpeg

Chase__Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I hear your pain. I went through the same thing. Find one I like for this but dont like it for that etc etc repeat ad naseum. Never found one I like for EVERYTHING but settled on the Garvin G2 mid. Lots of room for the accessories. Good weight (aluminum ends and top panel save about 10 lbs). Reuses the factory fogs.
Unread 07-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

are you wanting a full width,mid width or stubby. once yourmind is made up your decision will get a bit easier. I wanted something in between a stubby and full width so I went with a Poison spyder mid width brawler and couldnt be happier.weight w/ the front skid wasnt too bad.uses factory fogs.the install was fairly simple if you've ever used hand tools before. had it coated silver to be different , and it paid off. Looks killer

Last edited by MudDuck99; 07-07-2014 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: in between stubby and full width
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Chase__Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDuck99 View Post
are you wanting a full width,mid width or stubby. once yourmind is made up your decision will get a bit easier. I wanted something in between a stubby and mid width so I went with a Poison spyder mid width brawler and couldnt be happier.weight w/ the front skid wasnt too bad.uses factory fogs.the install was fairly simple if you've ever used hand tools before. had it coated silver to be different , and it paid off. Looks killer

That's a great looking bumper! Couple of questions: Are you happy with the quality and does it seem to weigh the front of your Wrangler down any?
Chase__Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase__Smith View Post
That's a great looking bumper! Couple of questions: Are you happy with the quality and does it seem to weigh the front of your Wrangler down any?
it did but not noticably any more than the factory rake. i installed a teraflex leveling kit about a month later. Im happy with the overall stance
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

these are before the leveling kit

Unread 07-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
ROADDOG516
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^^pics after leveling kit please
2013 JKU Sahara
ROADDOG516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

I gotta throw in my $0.02 here. I bought a JCR Vanguard this Spring and I love it. Retains the factory fogs, plenty of room for a recessed winch, and their quality and customer service are great. No affiliation. Just happy with their product. I did the skid at the same time.
Layth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you ever think that someday you will install flat fenders the go for a stubby. It doesn't look right with flat fenders and a full or mid width bumper...my opinion of course.

I have a Poison spyder front bumper
image-3224706107.jpg

Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
Rmiller31

I went for the jcr dagger. I love it and would buy again.
Rmiller31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Ripped08
2008 JK Wrangler 

Brightwhite, What's with the wrecker
Unread 07-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #12
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped08
Brightwhite, What's with the wrecker
had some rear break issues, so I just put it on a flatbed and taken into the shop. Figured $100 tow was safer than driving on the road and risking something bad happening. It's all good now!
Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #13
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADDOG516 View Post
^^pics after leveling kit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightwhite View Post
If you ever think that someday you will install flat fenders the go for a stubby. It doesn't look right with flat fenders and a full or mid width bumper...my opinion of course.

I have a Poison spyder front bumper

doesnt look as bad as you would think . I plan on running tube flares down the road
Unread 07-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layth View Post
I gotta throw in my $0.02 here. I bought a JCR Vanguard this Spring and I love it. Retains the factory fogs, plenty of room for a recessed winch, and their quality and customer service are great. No affiliation. Just happy with their product. I did the skid at the same time.
That is what I was going to recommend. We do a lot of the JCR Vanguard bumpers. Great quality, great coverage, you can do them with or without the bar, we can do them powder coated, we can add the skid, and all with free shipping!

If we can help with JCR or any other bumper, let us know!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightwhite View Post
I agree - another reason I went with the Garvin - mid for now with full fenders and if (when) I go with flats all I have to change is the end "caps". Of course Garvin doesn't make the short cap that I am aware of - but I have a tig welder that says I can do it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.