Ignition Issue or bad key?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ignition Issue or bad key??

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 12-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ignition Issue or bad key??

This has happened three times in the last month. I go out to start a cold Jeep (JK) and the key gets stuck in the forward/starting position where it will just stay and click as if trying to start. Once I turn it back off and re-crank it, its fine. I did notice that the ignition seems a little loose but maybe it is supposed to be that way I don't know. One variable here is that I am using a "Rock" key that I bought from Quadratec and had cut at a local locksmith. I have been using that key for about 3 months though with no problems. Anyone else experienced this or have any thoughts and ideas? I do have an appointment for it on 12/05/07 at the dealer.

Unread 12-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
AJ in Japan
Jeeps and Bikes - Yea!
2007 JK Wrangler 

Manual or automatic?

Mods:

3.5” Skyjacker lift / Currie adjustable control arms (all 8) / Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer /
Poly Performance front and rear track bar relocation kits RHD / Poly Performance high steer kit with drag link flip adapter / 35/12.50/18 BFG Mud Terrain tires on stock painted rims with 1.5” Spidertrax wheel spacers / 5.13 Superior Gears front and rear /gear ratio, tire size and 91 octane performance adjusted with Superchips controller / ARB differential covers / Skid Row front skid plate / Mopar undercarriage skid plates (stock in Japan) / Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers front and rear with rear tire carrier / High Lift Jack mounted on rear bumper (when off roading) / Smittybuilt black D-Rings front and rear / Rampage Products Convertible Side Bar/Rocker Guards / AEV Heat Reduction Hood with AEV Snorkel / 1” over fender extensions / KC running lights on windshield and front bumper / Stubby antenna in black/ Warrior Products Mirror Relocation Brackets when doors are off / Meiwa Ultra Performance Muffler / B & M transmission cooler / Quadratec Ultimate Front Floor Liners / Off Road Heroes Soft Top / Daystar Hood latches and spare tire bump stops / Glass lens headlights with H-4 bulbs (stock in Japan) – headlight and fog bulbs changed to Sylvania Silverstars / Off Road guards for headlights, fog lights and tail lights / MS Plus Navigation System / rear seat removed (1st mod) / and other stuff I can’t remember now

Next: Change the junk Skyjacker Nitro shocks to Bilstein 5100s (on back order now per Dave at Northridge) and change the junk Skyjacker sway bar disconnects to JKS.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcOGjlq3YtGLj

http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?user_id=998

http://rogueownersgroup.com/MemberPage.aspx?id=10

Doing it on the left side in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Japan.

Riding a motorcycle is the only time in my existence when I can completely lose myself only to find myself.

It's not the destination.........

It's the ride!
AJ in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Have you went back to the stock keys? I would do that for a couple days.
0lllllll0¬
.....|―/―――\―\_|__|――ΊŒ---------¬<=##=>
.....― (o)_)-)_)........…(o)_)χ)_(o)_)χ)_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
murray8144
2007 JK Wrangler 

Occasionally, my starter will remain cranking for two or three seconds as opposed to the usual one second to start the jeep.
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
norok2big
2013 JK Wrangler 

here also

We have the issue where you go to turn on the car and the starter seems to continue cranking the car for 2 to 3 seconds. I immediatley turn off the car and then start it again and it's fine. Seems to me there is a bug/defect somewhere that is causing this. Have to find time to take it into the dealer. Our second jeep should be here soon, hope it doesn't have the same issue.
norok2big is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
AJ in Japan
Jeeps and Bikes - Yea!
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norok2big
We have the issue where you go to turn on the car and the starter seems to continue cranking the car for 2 to 3 seconds. I immediatley turn off the car and then start it again and it's fine. Seems to me there is a bug/defect somewhere that is causing this. Have to find time to take it into the dealer. Our second jeep should be here soon, hope it doesn't have the same issue.
GRRRRRR

One more time:

Manual or automatic?

Mods:

3.5” Skyjacker lift / Currie adjustable control arms (all 8) / Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer /
Poly Performance front and rear track bar relocation kits RHD / Poly Performance high steer kit with drag link flip adapter / 35/12.50/18 BFG Mud Terrain tires on stock painted rims with 1.5” Spidertrax wheel spacers / 5.13 Superior Gears front and rear /gear ratio, tire size and 91 octane performance adjusted with Superchips controller / ARB differential covers / Skid Row front skid plate / Mopar undercarriage skid plates (stock in Japan) / Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers front and rear with rear tire carrier / High Lift Jack mounted on rear bumper (when off roading) / Smittybuilt black D-Rings front and rear / Rampage Products Convertible Side Bar/Rocker Guards / AEV Heat Reduction Hood with AEV Snorkel / 1” over fender extensions / KC running lights on windshield and front bumper / Stubby antenna in black/ Warrior Products Mirror Relocation Brackets when doors are off / Meiwa Ultra Performance Muffler / B & M transmission cooler / Quadratec Ultimate Front Floor Liners / Off Road Heroes Soft Top / Daystar Hood latches and spare tire bump stops / Glass lens headlights with H-4 bulbs (stock in Japan) – headlight and fog bulbs changed to Sylvania Silverstars / Off Road guards for headlights, fog lights and tail lights / MS Plus Navigation System / rear seat removed (1st mod) / and other stuff I can’t remember now

Next: Change the junk Skyjacker Nitro shocks to Bilstein 5100s (on back order now per Dave at Northridge) and change the junk Skyjacker sway bar disconnects to JKS.

Riding a motorcycle is the only time in my existence when I can completely lose myself only to find myself.

It's the ride!
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #7
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the exact same issue. It is because the engine starting is all controlled by your computer now. There is a "glitch", and if you turn the key too far, then the starter will turn over but the engine will not actually fire. In previous cars, you had to turn the key all the way and when the car fired up, you released it. This is what I did to "by-pass" the problem........

When you hit the point of the "key turn" where you are about to start the Jeep, simply DO NOT turn the key all the way until it stops. Barely turn it until the starter begins to crank and hold it there until the engine starts. It seems like a pain in the butt, but it really isn't. You get used to doing this. I took mine to the dealer, and of course, they could not duplicate the problem. I figured this little tactic out that I just explained, and it works everytime. I have been doing this since September with no problems. I am just used to it now.
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ in Japan
GRRRRRR

One more time:

Manual or automatic?
Mine is automatic Aj.
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norok2big
Itake mine tomorrow and I will re-post here and let yall know what they tell me. I have already decided that if they tell me they can't dupilacte the problem, that I am going to try the OEM key for awhile. Wrnglrguy's explanation makes sense though.
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
DShizzle
My daughter is SAXON

Every now and then (and always when engine and steering column is cold) after I release the ignition switch the starter continues cranking while engine is running...seems like it would go on indefinately (engine running while starter ingaged)...of course I would immediately turn ignition switch off then it would start normally w/no problem. I figured (over a year ago) that it was new and with some wear the key switch would loosen up and more freely return to the run position allowing the starter to disengage. Like I said...it has been over a year and it still occasionally does it. I have found that when this occurs if I turn the switch to the start position again and release it very quickly the starter will disengage and it continues to run normally. I am not sure if it is the same problem and I did not intend on posting such a lengthy discription and.........(drum roll).........it is an automatic...
possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".
DShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
ghostship
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
I have the exact same issue. It is because the engine starting is all controlled by your computer now. There is a "glitch", and if you turn the key too far, then the starter will turn over but the engine will not actually fire. In previous cars, you had to turn the key all the way and when the car fired up, you released it. This is what I did to "by-pass" the problem........

When you hit the point of the "key turn" where you are about to start the Jeep, simply DO NOT turn the key all the way until it stops. Barely turn it until the starter begins to crank and hold it there until the engine starts. It seems like a pain in the butt, but it really isn't. You get used to doing this. I took mine to the dealer, and of course, they could not duplicate the problem. I figured this little tactic out that I just explained, and it works everytime. I have been doing this since September with no problems. I am just used to it now.
Are you guys aware that the JK is a Drive by Wire vehicle? You do not have to hold the Ignition key in the far-forward position until the engine starts. Just turning the key forward then releasing is all that is required, the Jeep's computer will continue to activate the Starter for as long as it takes for the JK's engine to start.
ghostship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
AJ in Japan
Jeeps and Bikes - Yea!
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostship
Are you guys aware that the JK is a Drive by Wire vehicle? You do not have to hold the Ignition key in the far-forward position until the engine starts. Just turning the key forward then releasing is all that is required, the Jeep's computer will continue to activate the Starter for as long as it takes for the JK's engine to start.
That's why I was asking if manual or automatic. It is my understanding that this "feature" is only on JKs with automatic trannys.

Mods:

It's the ride!
Unread 12-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #13
Slenny
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ in Japan
That's why I was asking if manual or automatic. It is my understanding that this "feature" is only on JKs with automatic trannys.
Mines a manual and it does'nt do what Ghostship was describing.
Slenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostship
I admit to being slightly more than dense in the head, are you saying to turn it until it begins to fire and let it go instead of waiting until it actually starts before you let it go?
Unread 12-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
AJ in Japan
Jeeps and Bikes - Yea!
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico166
I admit to being slightly more than dense in the head, are you saying to turn it until it begins to fire and let it go instead of waiting until it actually starts before you let it go?
Yes, if it's an automatic tranny

Mods:

It's the ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.