If you're affected by fuel overflow, please read. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > If you're affected by fuel overflow, please read.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you're affected by fuel overflow, please read.

Can't do a search but didn't see a sticky on it. Quite a few people have had this problem and I would like you to reach out to Jeep if you have. This is what I have written to them. Excuse any repetitive parts and I am not asking for a proof read. I am on medications that really mess with my thought process and slow me down a bunch. That's besides the point. Just asking you contact Jeep with your issue, especially if you're out of the extended warranty plan. Again, though pump fires don't happen often, they do happen and this will greatly increase that risk. My lawyer would love to take over this one he said. I've also not had to pay a dime to my lawyer because he usually wins for me! (Please don't take me as the type that sues as that is not the case. Cases are usually against me due to the lying of others, yet we've won every time.) Again, there I go on an unrelated subject... Meds...

Here is my message to Jeep.

Quote:
To whom it may concern,

I recently bought a 2009 Jeep Wrangler from a used car lot. Upon filling the gas tank for the first time, I got a surprise overflow of about 1/4 gallon of fuel down the side of my vehicle. I attributed it to maybe the pump. Until I tried to fill up at multiple other gas stations and got the same result 4 times.

My vehicle as well as MANY others are NOT covered under the extended warranty for this issue, yet still have the problem. Is there any plan for Jeep to cover those with this issue even though we don't fall within the manufacture dates? If not, this is very disappointing.

Why should it be mandatory for gas stations to provide a pump that automatically shuts off once the tank reaches full and is illegal to top off after the automatic shut off, yet Jeep can produce vehicles that seem to "bypass" this and get away with it. Is this now a liability for Jeep customers though Jeep let this happen?

All it takes is a slight electrostatic discharge in the right amount of fuel vapor to start a fire. Has happened thousands of times in the past and I am sure will forever be an issue while there will be gas stations. I know it doesn't happen often and that's due to the safety devices in place at the stations. Being a disabled American Veteran and a father of a 6 year old and a 1 year old, if a fire were to occur with my children in the vehicle due to this overflow, it would be near impossible to get them out in time due to my issues.

Again, I really love Jeep and the vehicles, but when I did some research on this fuel overflow issue, I find it ridiculous that this was an extended warrant and not a recall as well as only covering a small lot of the vehicles effected.

I am asking that Jeep would at least cover any vehicles coming into their shops with this issue, as well as my vehicle. Just because I fall two to three months shy of the cutoff date, I am not covered. I feel this is unacceptable due to the safety hazards it produces.

A response would greatly be appreciated.

Neo1130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

They are fixing this issue now free of charge. Had my 08 done last month. Doesn't overflow now but I have to fill it up real slow so it doesn't cut off every few seconds. Kind of a careful what you wish for situation.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

I stopped by two different dealers and they both told me they couldn't do anything about it. Both have been really good in the past and I completely trust them (for the most part.) You have a 2008 which was part of the extended warranty. My 2009 is a couple months out of the range but still affected by the defect. My brothers 2011 does it and my friends 2010 does it as well, which are supposed to have the "updated part."
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is a pic of the updated part they are installing now. It's a filler tube with a check valve in it. Look under your brother's and your friend's Jeeps to see if they have this installed. (I'll guess they don't)

Anyway, it's an easy and inexpensive fix to do it yourself. Some people have made a short video of the issue on their Jeeps that were not covered, and their dealers went good for it.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
I stopped by two different dealers and they both told me they couldn't do anything about it.
Horse****. There's no reason whatsoever why Chrysler shouldn't fix this problem regardless of warranty, recall, or TSB. There's got to be a dealership somewhere that'll help you out, but I'd talk to someone in charge at both dealerships.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Okay, sorry... Bad choice of words on my part. They wouldn't do it as a WARRANTY or recall. I can do it with cash out of pocket, however I had to buy a few things after I bought the Jeep, had it less than a month already. I just don't find it fair to have some get the fix for free while others have to pay...
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
Okay, sorry... Bad choice of words on my part. They wouldn't do it as a WARRANTY or recall. I can do it with cash out of pocket, however I had to buy a few things after I bought the Jeep, had it less than a month already. I just don't find it fair to have some get the fix for free while others have to pay...
Nah, that's what I mean. You shouldn't be ******* a single dime over for Chrysler's inability to properly build a fuel tank. That's a serious safety issue and any excuse on their part to make you cover it is horse****.
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok, guys check this out. I have an 07 and had the issue fixed by the dealer a few years ago. I had to fight to get that covered. Everything has been fine for a few years and all of a sudden the problem is back with every fill up. What the hell???? I know Chrysler is going to give me **** on this they did address it before which idicated that the do have problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?
jarrod318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Who do I sue because my 57 Chevy Pickup doesn't have airbags, seatbelts and spews gas if overfilled? How long is a manufacture responsible for technical shortfalls? If the EPA chabges the way a nozzle shuts off does the manufacturer have to retrofit every single vehicle they ever sold prior to that? Add that "probable" future expense to the units sales price.

Warranties have limits for a reason. The previous owner chose not to address it while it was still warranty-able and YOU BOUGHT HIS OFFTHROWN PROBLEM - which dynamic is common knowledge to every individual who has ever pondered buying new (problem free) or used (some one elses screwups). Used cars say "as is" on the window for a reason... due dilligence is the term for knowing if you are buying a product that can meet your expectations. In this case DD would be to LOOK at the filler. Has it been replaced? Yes = buy with no worries -or- NO = plan expense of repair or walk away from sale.

If you weren't even aware there WAS a problem - then your efforts at due diligence really do lack... its a very well known issue.
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
kik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Here is a pic of the updated part they are installing now. It's a filler tube with a check valve in it. Look under your brother's and your friend's Jeeps to see if they have this installed. (I'll guess they don't)

Anyway, it's an easy and inexpensive fix to do it yourself. Some people have made a short video of the issue on their Jeeps that were not covered, and their dealers went good for it.

This. A few months ago my 10 Rubicon started to slightly spill at times. I mentioned it to the dealer and they replaced the fuel filler tube as stated and they did it as "good will". No charge.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Exactly what is the goal of sending a letter full of conjecture, unsupportable claims and emotional arguments supposed to do? Other than prove you did no research before buying.

Ask your lawyer if claims made on an internet forum will be admissable. You'll probably be surprised.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

My apologies!
Its not too difficult to fix and not every JK spits (my 11 has one time - I now know I cant plug and walk away) - the consistent spitters really ARE a minority (and I even had a 72 Impala that would soak my tennies if not careful) when compared to the total number of vehicles made. I know at least twenty five JK owners - none are problematic so I would have to put it at less than 5% of fleet.

For any future buyers of used JKs - check closely for signs of fuel stains around and under the filler. A spitter is obvious. Then walk away from the sale or plan to fix it yourself. Chrysler only "owes" warranty to original purchaser - or repurchaser if still in the 3/36 base warranty.

After that - caveat emptor.

We really need to be careful of what we wish for when it comes to having "them" take care of us - "they" will eventually step up to the plate and "fix" auto warranty programs for us. think Obamacare for Jeeps. YIKES.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post

For any future buyers of used JKs - check closely for signs of fuel stains around and under the filler. A spitter is obvious. Then walk away from the sale or plan to fix it yourself. Chrysler only "owes" warranty to original purchaser - or repurchaser if still in the 3/36 base warranty.
The warranty extension for the fuel spit-back issue is unlimited time and mileage for the covered vehicles, no reference to who owns the JK.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The warranty extension for the fuel spit-back issue is unlimited time and mileage for the covered vehicles, no reference to who owns the JK.
Ahh so add to buyer's due diligence knowledge of what build dates are in the extension!
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Ahh so add to buyer's due diligence knowledge of what build dates are in the extension!
Service Bulletin
NUMBER: 14-003-12

Fuel Spit Back During Refueling (X32 Warranty Extension Unlimited Time And Mileage)

NOTE: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.8L
engine (sales code EGT) built between March 1, 2007 (MDH0301XX) and
March 31, 2008 (MDH 0331XX).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.