Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

If you hydrolocked your engine, I have some questions.

23K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Mariah66 
#1 ·
1) how much did it run you to fix? I know it'll depend on what exactly I broke, and I haven't heard back from Jeep yet. I'm just looking for a worse case senerio.

2) Did you go through insurance? My service guy said I should contact my insurance guy. I don't know what catagory this would fall under if it was my fault for playing in the mud.

#8 ·
I disagree that shutting off the engine and pulling the plugs may have saved the engine. The way I see it, the damage occurs as soon as the water enters the running engine. Things could have been made worse if you try to start it afterward, but the majority of the damage occurs as soon as the water gets into the cylinders.

#9 ·
One the downers with the 3.8L is that they break some serious stuff when you Hydrolock them. Most of the time an entire new engine is required.
The old 4.0L all you needed to do is pull the plugs, crank it over to blow the water out, change the oil, put the plugs back in and you're gone.

Next time you go "puddle" splashing, get a snorkel or at least walk it first.

#10 ·
One the downers with the 3.8L is that they break some serious stuff when you Hydrolock them. Most of the time an entire new engine is required.
The old 4.0L all you needed to do is pull the plugs, crank it over to blow the water out, change the oil, put the plugs back in and you're gone.

Next time you go "puddle" splashing, get a snorkel or at least walk it first.
Not if you're an idiot and test the theory at 4500 rpm:cheers2: Saw it happen to a kid bad day.................

#13 ·
it was right around 1000 bucks to get it fixed, i bent number 5 rod. i didnt even bother to go to the dealer because i knew they wouldnt fix it and i didnt want to screw up my lifetime warrenty. its also fun to call around to parts stores and say you need a rod and piston for a 2010 jeep, i had many oconfused comments on that one. i have since installed a river raider snorkel.

#21 ·
Unfortunately we found some fluid on thbe ground afterwards, so I may have cracked something. I would think if they replaced the engine, the warrantee wouldn't be effected.

I may go the snorkle route myself. I want to see if I put any dents in the hood when I climbed onto it to attatch the recover strap. I may go with an AEV hood and snorkle.

Thanks for your insight.

#44 ·
That sounds right.

Ive seen 3.8's with the trans sell for as low as $600. You just have to scour the right forums and boards.

#17 ·
All I got to say is damn to the bent connecting rod. So are you just getting it fixed since its only a $1000. Where did you end up finding a piston.

#25 ·
i think thats what happened to mine, i had water in the airbox and didnt know it and floored it, i wasnt even near water when it shut off. i opened the throttle body and it looked like a lake inside there. i pulled the plugs ten minutes after but it wouldnt crank because the stater drive was broken

#26 ·
I've got to say it was painful to watch him swerve to avoid that damn deer! We pulled the plugs and squeezed the water out of the aitfilter, but the damage was already done. Hope it turns out better than we think it will.

#28 ·
OP, how deep was the water you were playing in?

#32 ·
Looks like a snorkle is in my future. Rugged Ridge is making a cowl based one that is supposed to come out in the next 6 months or so, and it should be cheaper then the other market options. I would much rather cut the cowl then my hood or fender.

#34 ·
That first one is my fav, see he's got a snorkel...

I love the fact that Jeep can make a commercial like that, yet tell you not to go in water over 24 inches.

#35 ·
I never understand the thrill of speeding through huge puddles and high speed creek crossings. I see vids posted on one of the Colorado clubs I belong to with other members cheering as they scream through a creek. It ****s up trails often resulting in closings, and puts you at a risk for a hydro-locked engine. I've been through water several times up to the rock sliders with out any issues.

#36 ·
Sorry, it was my first time off roading. I was a little to happy with my performance on the trails and obstacles so I went kinda heavy in the mud. Live and learn. I was just a puddle, and I would never do that to a stream or a puddle on a trail because I know the more I throw out, the deeper it would be for the way back. This was a bug puddle in the middle of a lot.

#37 ·
Vin, When dealing with the insurance company,just be honest and tell them you went through crossing too fast and locked it up.If you lie and say you avoided something and went off road,they will sometimes inspect the location to verify your story.If that area of the road was not flooded at the time of your said accident,they will deny you. They use historical weather charts,contact local police to see if the area floods.they can be real pri**s.

They should not deny you because you were off road,just as long as you were not in an organized competition,you will be ok.

How do I know this,I have been a senior claims adjuster for 10 years:D

And whoever said"the insurance company is just looking to deny you" BS. I look for ways to take care of my customers,we do not get points for denying things.

#38 ·
Off topic, but my insurance company quoted me a $350 deductible for a cracked windshield. I can get a new one for $230 myself. Insurance companies suck.

#41 ·
Thanks guys. I've already decided to take responsibility for breaking my rig. I have the cash and it's a lesson learned. I was more interested that the dealer would tell me to contact my insurance company when he knows it's my fault. In either case, I may have a snorkel put on while they replace the engine. Thanks for all the responses.

Oh and my Jeep should be back Tuesday. They want to talk to me about the snorkel when I pay for the engine. hopefully they have the snorkel kit there so I won't need to be without my Jeep for another day or two.

#46 ·
very admirable in taking responsibility for your event BUT,that is what insurance is for. I would hate to see you pay for a motor when you do not have too. Call your insurance company,tell them what happened. Worst case,they say no.If no payment is made,it does not go against you when you renew your policy.

Talk to the adjuster,just tell him you misjudged your speed when you went through the puddle:D

Let me give you a couple of examples of claims paid.

bmw 7 series,client has been living in his home for 10 yrs.he knows how deep the water gets on the corner turn to his house.client goes through deep water,locks the motor( he had just bought the veh and did not know the air intake was that low) paid 17000. Two weeks later,moron does it again. Guess what,17000 later he is on his way.

chevy suburban,client goes through flooded intersection and locks it up.The water was up past the the bottom of the seats.excuse given" Its a Suburban,it can go through anything!!"

#48 ·
very admirable in taking responsibility for your event BUT,that is what insurance is for. I would hate to see you pay for a motor when you do not have too. Call your insurance company,tell them what happened. Worst case,they say no.If no payment is made,it does not go against you when you renew your policy.

Talk to the adjuster,just tell him you misjudged your speed when you went through the puddle:D

Let me give you a couple of examples of claims paid.

bmw 7 series,client has been living in his home for 10 yrs.he knows how deep the water gets on the corner turn to his house.client goes through deep water,locks the motor( he had just bought the veh and did not know the air intake was that low) paid 17000. Two weeks later,moron does it again. Guess what,17000 later he is on his way.

chevy suburban,client goes through flooded intersection and locks it up.The water was up past the the bottom of the seats.excuse given" Its a Suburban,it can go through anything!!"
Well, there's always next time. If I had the time/resourses I probably should have gotten the hemi conversion. I'm sure the price isn't that much higher than what the dealership is quoting me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.