Ideas to get motor warranty work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ideas to get motor warranty work?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
REVOLUTIONary2B

Ideas to get motor warranty work?

My mother-in-law has a 2007 3.8L that has been drinking oil since she bought it used 10-15k miles ago. Now has 70k or 80k miles. It is pumping oil up into the intake manifold through the PCV system. It has taken out the EGR valve and got so gummed up that it started to struggle to accelerate. I switched it to thicker oil, Amsoil, replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body and SEAFOAM sprayed the intake per the instructions (it was soaked in oil in there). THIS ACTUALLY WORKED (consumption seemed to stop and ran great again), but only for about a month. Now it is consuming again. I'm convinced it has excessive blow-by and needs rings. She has an extended warranty that I haven't looked at yet. I'm familiar with the ridiculous requirements of 1 quart per 750-1,000 miles as acceptable consumption, but it is not just a consumption issue! What ideas do you guys have to swing a successful warranty claim?

REVOLUTIONary2B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONary2B View Post
...She has an extended warranty that I haven't looked at yet...
Start by reading it first and go from there.
Unread 10-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
REVOLUTIONary2B

Turns out engine parts are covered by an extended warranty. What exactly do you think I am going to find in the text that will help me? I'm not asking for general help with how to file a claim. I'm asking for ideas on how to approach fixing this outside of meeting the oil consumption spec. Is there a test/spec for blow-by/crankcase pressure? Does the oil causing driveability and emissions failures give me an angle? Can it be treated like a leak?
Unread 10-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

You need to fail one of the test parameters. be it oil usage, compression, leak down test etc. Oil usage you can check, must be if using that much oil. Works out to about 60 gallons of gas you are burning a quart of oil. The other tests you could do as they will charge you to do, unless its Mill coding.

We went through this with our 3.6 in the 2012. to warranty the motor it needed to fail a leak down test. It had Mill coded as well. Result was leakage of two exhaust valves in each of #2 and#6 @ 75% and i think a pass(OK) was like 18% or more. New head was put on. well known issue today effects many 2011-2013. we carry spar heads you just need a case of oil

3.8 oil issue is somewhat well known. more than a few treads on this.
Unread 10-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Often they will change your oil then mark the drain plug to see if you removed it. Then they will ask you to drive it a couple thousand miles. Then they will pull the plug and measure the amount that comes out.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
REVOLUTIONary2B

222Doc, that is the lead I was hoping for.
I'm aware of the many others with 3.8L oil consumption issues, but no one seemed to come up with fixes besides the few that got new engines from Chrysler, and a few guys did good with thicker oil.
Will update once there are test results.
MUCH THANKS!
Unread 10-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure how picky they are but if it turns out to be costly, they may deny it based on you using thicker oil. If anyone thinks that's possible, I would change the oil back to the recommended oil before bringing it in for tests.

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do not think going with heavy oil is a good idea. Just be sure there IS oil.
Unread 10-18-2014, 12:28 AM   #9
REVOLUTIONary2B

5w-20 was in there to start, then topped off with 10w-40 and 5w-30 since. I don't think that is gonna hurt anything. Not that I'm gonna tell them those details.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.