JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   ice/snow + Soft Top (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/ice-snow-soft-top-497286/)

xwejx 12-18-2007 11:01 AM

ice/snow + Soft Top

Hey guys, first time with a wrangler in winter time. The other night we got hit with a pretty bad ice storm and there is going to be more of it to come for sure. I've read some threads about not using your ice scraper on the soft windows, but when it comes to the top what should be done? When i was removing the ice from the top the other day i went inside and pushed up under the roof, in turn cracking the ice so i could remove it by hand. Just want to know if he ice scraper would hurt the soft top or not? Thanks in advance for any advice.

BuzzHog 12-18-2007 11:21 AM

I'd use the brush part to sweep the broken up ice off the top (NOT THE WINDOWS!!!!!)

I'd also be careful to not use enough pressure to puncture the top...

Just use common sense...

wrnglrguy 12-18-2007 01:11 PM

With gas prices what they are, this advise will kind of suck, but you really should just let your Jeep warm up until the ice begins to melt. Another idea would be to get a Wrangler cab cover that you could remove when you are ready to go and put it back on when you are parked for the night. Here's an example....

http://bbjeep2.stores.yahoo.net/vecabco20jew1.html

KrasnayaZnamya 12-18-2007 03:50 PM

Definitely be wary of trying to get ice off the plastic windows with anything other than simple heat...I've had my Jeeps in all kinds of bad weather climates and never had any real issues...just be patient and let it warm up.

Have fun out there!!!

waterboarder 12-18-2007 04:21 PM

I wouldn't use a soft top in ice & snow - seems like it is just asking for trouble.

JrTjK 12-18-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasdog
I wouldn't use a soft top in ice & snow - seems like it is just asking for trouble.

many of us don't have any other option unless we want to shell out $1000+ for a hard top.

to the original question, i wouldn't use an ice scraper on any other part than the windshield. i brush snow off the roof with this nifty tool i bought, but aside from that, i don't want to risk cracking or damaging the top...i let the heater take care of the rest.

KrasnayaZnamya 12-18-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Why? Like anything else, you take care to use it the proper way and you won't have any issues...I personally think it's part of owning a Jeep, plain and simple.

Like others, I don't have dual tops (and don't like the hardtop anyway, but that's just my preference, not against them in any way). So, I have to adapt to the softtop, but it's no big deal at all. Just as I wouldn't go into deep off-roading without proper tires, lift, etc..."seems like it is just asking for trouble."

:2thumbsup:

waterboarder 12-18-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrasnayaZnamya
Why? Like anything else, you take care to use it the proper way and you won't have any issues..

Temps of -40 and colder spell trouble for a lot of things. A hard top seems to help prevent the BS from happening to little ole me.

Quote:

I personally think it's part of owning a Jeep, plain and simple.
That's exactly how I feel about having dual tops.

Quote:

Just as I wouldn't go into deep off-roading without proper tires, lift, etc..."seems like it is just asking for trouble."
Exactly! And in my view, a soft top is not the proper top for certain conditions...

onlyone 12-18-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't have a hardtop. Much easier to pull the softop off when the weather gets nice. I have had softop jeeps for years and have had zero problem with any of them. They warm up fast. No need to even clear the snow/ice off them.

waterboarder 12-18-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyone
I wouldn't have a hardtop. Much easier to pull the softop off when the weather gets nice.

Oh, that's when I put the soft top on (:

I'd be afraid to go anywhere near my soft top trying to clean off ice and snow - it's hard enough trying to get it off the windshield. I also don't want to have to **** around with spending 15 minutes or whatever carefully clearing off ice and snow every time I want to go somewhere.

Quote:

I have had softop jeeps for years and have had zero problem with any of them. They warm up fast. No need to even clear the snow/ice off them.
That's what people say - but I don't see how that soft material doesn't become hard and brittle and tend to crack when the temps get COLD (like, -20 and on below). I've seen SO many soft top Jeeps up here with cracked up windows and tops and such, there was no way I was going to use one for the winters. I'm sure some of those people may not have been careful with their tops, but I'm sure some of them were.

The cab cover seems like a good solution - but taking it off and on every day seems like it would become a drag real fast.

onlyone 12-18-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't have a hardtop. Much easier to pull the softop of when the weather gets nice. I have had softop jeeps for years and have had zero problem with any of them. They warm up fast. No need to even clear the snow/ice off them.

onlyone 12-18-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Oh, that's when I put the soft top on (:

I'd be afraid to go anywhere near my soft top trying to clean off ice and snow - it's hard enough trying to get it off the windshield. I also don't want to have to **** around with spending 15 minutes or whatever carefully clearing off ice and snow every time I want to go somewhere.

That's what people say - but I don't see how that soft material doesn't become hard and brittle and tend to crack when the temps get COLD (like, -20 and on below). I've seen SO many soft top Jeeps up here with cracked up windows and tops and such, there was no way I was going to use one for the winters. I'm sure some of those people may not have been careful with their tops, but I'm sure some of them were.

Here is some really good advice. Don't touch them in the winter until the heater has had time to work. When the jeep warms up, it takes maybe 2 minutes for the windows to clear of ice/snow. Anyone who says the windows just "cracked" is full of it. Something or someone touched it before the heater warmed the cab. The only good thing I can see about a hardtop is being able to clean the back window when the road salt/sand gets on it. Of course I guess i dont need to worry about it since it only gets driven on the weekends. My TJ got driven daily in the crappy weather though. I had a remote start, so my top was always clear when I got in it.

KrasnayaZnamya 12-18-2007 07:27 PM

To each his own, Texasdog...enjoy.

I personally like the softtop and don't mind taking care of it.

waterboarder 12-18-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyone
The only good thing I can see about a hardtop is being able to clean the back window when the road salt/sand gets on it.

Definitely a good thing. I think I use that rear wiper way more than I use the front ones (:

The time now is 09:48 PM.