I threw away my key… - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I threw away my key…

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I threw away my key…

Well, here’s another “I lost something down my dash” gripe. I was out off-roading with my sister and niece and just before we hit the road to go home I stopped to air back up. I took my key out of the ignition as I always do before exiting the Jeep except this time was a bit different. Instead of holding onto the key, stupid *** me tossed it on top of the dash against the windshield. As soon as it made contact with the windshield I new I was screwed. Down it went never to be seen again.
Luckily I had my spare hidden on my Jeep and was able to use it. Good thing too as we were a couple of hours away from home in the middle of no where and it was late at night.

It's not the first thing I’ve lost down there. I don't remember what the other thing was now cause it was long ago but considering what a new spare would cost me I think I might try removing the dash. Anyone have an easy way of doing it before I tear into it?

Unread 07-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

depends on where you lost it, the center is the hardest to get to. I had to dig for my lighter once but it was on the drivers side of the center dash. Just had to pull a couple of panels under the steering wheel and I found it wedged in some brackets. The pasenger side isnt bad either, just pull the glove compartment out and get a flashlight to hunt around in there. GL with the center part, lots of crap to have to pull to get under there, magnet stick might help along with a little flashlight...
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
2jk1cjtj
2008 JK Wrangler 

Best thing is to let the winshield down to get a good look down there while you try to fish things out.
2jk1cjtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Ajaxxx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like a good mod would be to use some mesh to cover the dash vents to prevent large items from disappearing... I may need to prototype some mesh this weekend!

IowaAndy
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Foam pipe insulation does the trick. Costs about a buck and fits right in and fills the gap.
1995 Wrangler

White Jeep Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxxx View Post
Sounds like a good mod would be to use some mesh to cover the dash vents to prevent large items from disappearing... I may need to prototype some mesh this weekend!

IowaAndy

Its not so much the vents as the huge gap (I believe it is to allow the windshield to fold but IDK)

folks have put foam pipe insulation tubes (the split foam tubes for copper heating pipes) into the gap between the dash and windshield.

this stuff:
Pipe Insulation, Semi-Slit, 2 In, 6 Ft - Pipe Insulation - Pipe and Tubing - HVACR : Grainger Industrial Supply
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
thegreatself

Does the pipe insulation block any airflow, either for defrost, or the intake for recirculate?
thegreatself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

All you need to do is lose the other key and that will preven getting locked in. Can't get locked in if you can't get in!
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Polkchop
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
All you need to do is lose the other key and that will preven getting locked in. Can't get locked in if you can't get in!
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I can't help you with the R & R of your dash
But you can help others by doing a little write-up (with pic's) on the process so we can add it to the new F.A.Q.
While you're trying to find your key.
Good luck with your "Treasure Hunt"

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

It's crazy and poor design to have a gap that wide, where eventually things are bound to fall into like keys, pens, credit cards, cigarette lighters, etc. I've had a couple of close calls and keep telling myself to fill the gap. I also wonder if there is any HVAC purpose to having the gap open? If a cigarette lighter falls in there it could possibly be a safety problem if it overheats from the defroster. I think this is worthy of a recall and Chrysler should come up with a filler piece to fix it. If anything falls in there, if should be fished out by the dealer as warranty work.
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply’s guys. All of them are great ideas. I especially like the one about the foam insulation. I remember awhile back about someone on here suggesting that before. Can’t recall who said it but I was going to give it a try. Too much time went by and I forgot all about it.
About the write-up; I’ll give it a shot and see how things go. If it seams like it would be worthy I’ll do one. I’m kinda hoping it won’t be because hopefully my key will just fall out somehow. I’ll give it a shot though.
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatself View Post
Does the pipe insulation block any airflow, either for defrost, or the intake for recirculate?
That’s a good question. I’ll definitely check before I totally block the gap.
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I laughed so hard at this post, I almost fell out of my chair! Good one, McKBrew!

You were beggin for this one 1222!
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
You were beggin for this one 1222!
I know. It’s kinda embarrassing doing stuff like that but at the same time I like to keep the forum members amused, at my expense I guess. Anyhow, it just might help keep newbies from some unnecessary grief.

I’m still kinda laughing at myself and at the same time wondering what the hell was I thinking when I tossed the key up there in the first place.

Tags
dash , dash board problem , gap , hole to nowhere , JK Wrangler , space , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.