I think my lifters are bad... again... at 2500 miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I think my lifters are bad... again... at 2500 miles

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think my lifters are bad... again... at 2500 miles

Back in early October, I got my Jeep back from the dealership. I had just gotten a new shortblock, headgasket, and lifters. At almost 500 miles, I thought I heard the lifter tick coming back, but played it off as myself hearing things. Now, at 2500 miles, it is ticking like mad on cold starts (Not a filter issue) and backs off a bit, but stays consistent, at all driving temps and conditions.

How in the world do lifters (I think it's lifters) start making a racket in only 2500 miles? Exams are coming up, so I'll be waiting a few weeks before I take it in.

Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Id be pissed if i was you. Look into lemon laws. A new motor already and problems with that new motor? Not cool
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure if a lemon law would even help me if I could claim it. On top of the $2500 in mods I would lose, the Jeep is completely paid for and I doubt any dealer would just trade keys for me and let that be it.
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

when my manifold cracked it sounded alot like ticking at certain speeds. iF it keeps frying your lifters it could be bad cam
cadencedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
akabigjoe
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hows your oil pressure? Is your engine temp running hotter? If your getting alot of valvetrain noise or lifter noise I would look into the oil pump. You shouldn't have lifter noise if these were just replaced.
akabigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't look into anything other than dropping it back off at the dealer.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Yup dont touch it. If you do they can try and void your warranty. Bring it right back to them
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
catang5oh
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine turned out to be an exhaust leak, loud when cold and as it warmed up it got quieter. Busted exhaust loose at header and snugged back up and went away
catang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabigjoe View Post
Hows your oil pressure? Is your engine temp running hotter? If your getting alot of valvetrain noise or lifter noise I would look into the oil pump. You shouldn't have lifter noise if these were just replaced.
I'm not sure I can check oil pressure since we don't have a gauge for it. If there is a way (without buying new tools) let me know. The oil level is right at the max line. The oil pump should be new as well along with the cam. AFAIK, short blocks are pre assembled, and the oil pump is located behind the timing chain.

I'm running dyno oil (for break in) Pennzoil 5w-20 right now. I did notice the noise get louder after I changed the break in oil at 500 miles. The dealer filled it with 5w-30. I don't know if that damaged anything during the break in, but the engine was defiantly quieter with 5w-30. The difference was so bad, I almost dumped the new oil to pour in some 5w-30 I had in the garage, but held off in case I had to warranty something. I'll probably stick to 5w-30 after all this.
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

What oil does the jeep call for? Whatever that is, is the same thing you use every time from day one doesnt matter if it's brand new or not. Todays cars come broken in no need to worry about any of that.
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

The JK calls for 5w-20.
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Id run that from the first to last day then. If it calls for it and you bring it in with 5-30 and they decide to test it, they can void your warranty. Dealers do everything they possibly can to get out of having to warranty anything. They suck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.