I need some help pickig a soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I need some help pickig a soft top

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I need some help pickig a soft top

I just bought a 2013 jeep wrangler sport S unlimited. It has the freedom top but I really want a soft top for the summer. My last jeep was an XJ so I have no idea of what I am getting into. What are some good options?

deitzberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Anything by Bestop is going to be good. Since you got the Unlimited, you'll probably see people recommend Off Road Heroes' top as well. To me, it seems like the first question is: do you want a framed top that you fold back, or a frameless that you remove every time? Bestop's Supertop NX has a frame, their Trektop NX and the ORH are frameless. There are others but it seems like the only time they get mentioned is when they're falling apart out of the box or don't fit.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Seen alot of people run the trektop nx, that will be the top I choose when I find someone who wants a hardtop. Right now there are I think 4-5 of them for sale on craigslist being that its summer. I also agree with the previous post, Bestop seems to be the best route. The trektop nx does take some cargo space away, which could be important to you.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a OEM top with frame on LJ and bought a Trek top NX for the JK. I don't like the framed top on the LJ. When folded for an off-road trip it is constantly in the way of getting in the back for tools and stuff. So if I want top down and I'm wheeling with the LJ I take the top off. The Trek can be a safari top and it's way easier to pull off than one with a frame.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The more I think about it, being able to fold it back to drive to work and put it back on kind of makes sense. But I kind of like the look of the binkini top and duster combo. Will the soft tops work from other jks with no issue? I noticed some websites don't list the 2013s.
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Militiaman54
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just picked up a soft top for my 2013 JKUR off of craigslist for 550. It was brand new still in the boxes and it was for a 2011 and it fit like a glove. Out of all the soft tops I've had over the years for Jeeps IMO you can't beat the quality of an OEM top.

I know Bestop makes the OEM tops but I swear my OEM tops have always stood the test of time where the after market tops seem to have a hard time. Maybe its just me but every time I have bought a new Jeep I make sure it comes with a hard top and I pick up a new or like new soft top for cheap.

The Bestop trektop NX is cool and it looks great but I LOVE being able to fold the top back in about 2 minutes time and go about my day. Add a spiderweb shade or something like it to the front and you are set.... great setup.
Militiaman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deitzberg View Post
The more I think about it, being able to fold it back to drive to work and put it back on kind of makes sense. But I kind of like the look of the binkini top and duster combo. Will the soft tops work from other jks with no issue? I noticed some websites don't list the 2013s.
As long as you get the door surrounds and brackets that mount to the roll bar that match the top. They changed them in the last year or so.

06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Militiaman54
2013 JK Wrangler 

Bestop trektop NX which is a framless top.
It looks great. The side and back windows come off to make it a safari top.
It will not fold back so it takes a longer amount of time to take the entire top off.
Some people do not like the fact that the slope (fast back) takes some of your cargo room away. I had a fast back type top on my TJ and you really don't notice the missing room.
You can find it from $600-$700
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tops/Trek...pn=BST56823-35

Bestop Super top NX which is a Frame top and almost an exact copy of the OEM top.
The side and back windows come off... its not quit a safari top with the windows off but its pretty close.
Seeing as this is a frame top it will fold back and rest in the rear of the Jeep. It has velcro straps that you use to keep it from moving around while its in the folded position. After you do it a few times it takes one person about 2 minutes to take it down or put it up.
You can find it from $950-$1100
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tops/Supe...pn=BST54723-35

Or you can get on craigslist and try to find a new or like new OEM top which like I said is almost exactly like the Super top NX for $500-$600

One thing to remember like Filthy-Beast said you need all the hardware to go with the tops. If you get one of the Besttops above they come with everything you need but if you try to find a top on craigslist be sure to get the door surrounds, tail gate bar, and brackets for the roll bar with the top.
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Militiaman54
2013 JK Wrangler 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they changed the back window on the 2011 and up tops, they made them wider for better visibility. So if you do look for an OEM top 2011 and up will fit.
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I went with a craigslist deal on a brand new 2012 soft top in the box. When you have the top folded down all the way is there a nice cover to cover the top and cargo area.
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
08fun
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am getting the new 10A Rubi - doesn't have a soft top - so thinking about the trektop. Is this material the same as the OEM soft top? It looks like there are door frames to install as well. Does the trek top simply strap to the frames? Does that seem flimsy at all? Sorry for all the rookie questions - have an 08 JKU and had the OEM sunrises soft top - so only thing I am used to. Looks like the trek top can do the sunrider too.... I like the idea of the trek top. Agree you may lose a little cargo space - but think it will actually be easier when loading stuff etc with back window out?!
08fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, the trektop includes door frames, any soft top will require door frames. No it does not seem flimsy, your best bet is to watch one of the install videos here, http://www.bestop.com/soft-tops-and-bikinis/trektop-nx

Unread 08-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the trektop NX on my '12 JK. Windows come out (sides and rear) in just a couple of minutes and you can fold the top half back so it's pretty nice. It takes just a few min (I think it takes me about 10 minutes now) to get the two side and rear windows back in and it all buttoned back up. It does take some practice to be quick about it, but it is a nice top.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
robvb525
2012 JK Wrangler 

i have an OEM sunrider softtop that i wont be using, its from my 2012 JKU Sahara. its in great condition. i am in NJ ,if you want it, come pick it up (not sure how far into PA you are). send me a msg if you are interested and we can talk price.
99 XJ Classic 4.0

Last edited by robvb525; 08-08-2013 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: spelling
robvb525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just got the Bestop Supertop NX in twill and I really like it. Very similar to OEM top but also comes with tinted rear windows and it is very quiet for a soft top!
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep wrangler , soft top , sport , unlimited soft top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.