I need help with the Mopar / RE 2” Lift kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with the Mopar / RE 2” Lift kit

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
JeepDelaware
2009 JK Wrangler 

I need help with the Mopar / RE 2” Lift kit

My Jeep dealer said if I purchase the Mopar 2” lift for my 2009 4 door Rubicon auto and have them install it, it would not adversely affect the other warranties, but this is not what I need help with. I know this kit is expensive, but I have had bad experiences with Delaware Jeep dealers and other Jeeps I’ve owned, so the extra money appears to buy some peace of mind. I do not think I will ever “rock climb” with this Jeep, instead, I will drive it to work every day and have it on the beach on the weekends. My intention for this lift is to beef it up a bit for a winch/bumper and 33 x 12.5” tires, maybe 35’s, but I hear my Jeep will be a dog on the beach with auto, 410, and 35’s?

My questions are:

1.) Will my rear or front axel be shifted left, right, front, or back due to this lift?

2.) If so, what do I need to purchase [if anything] to complete this lift and have everything in its proper place?

3.) If I can’t bring myself to pay $1500 for the lift and $350 for instillation and go with something like the TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost – also what would I need to purchase to complete this lift regarding axel placement etc.?

4.) Regarding the TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost – do you recommend buying the kit with shocks or purchasing the shocks separately? For whatever reason, I’m not keen on extending my own shocks? Your thoughts are appreciated.

5.) If you were to purchase the shocks separately, which ones are best, or would yield the best ride for my application?

Thank you in advance for taking time to answer these questions.

JC

JeepDelaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

I feel sick to my stomach - did you REALLY say $1500 +$350 install for a 2" lift.

...seriously, if that's all you want, go buy any old 2" BB. Helen Keller couldn't f-up a BB. If you stick with 2", you can keep your stock shocks and you need nothing else. They can be had for under $200 and if you're savvy with a couple 18mm and 21mm sockets, a jack and 2 stands, you can do it on your own in a couple hours MAX.

The risk you run with a BB and warranty issues is insanely short. Spending that much coin for peace of mind to keep your warranty is absurd. When you go to 35's the lift will be the least of your worries when it comes to warranty concerns. They'll tie any powertrain issues to your tires more than they will a lift (unless you bust a shaft from too steep of an angle).

To get more technical, you will need adj trac bars or brackets if you venture into the 3"+ range. This will keep your axles from shifting, but most 2.5" lifts are OK w/o. As for shocks... if you are going to wheel your Jeep a lot and you want that extra bit of articulation, get longer shocks. All the big brands you see on here are fine. I run BDS, because the ride is great and the warranty is impeccable. Bottom line is, ANY shocks are better than factory. DC shocks SUCK. If you want to run 33-35's on a beach, you'll be fine with a 2-2.5" BB with shocks - again, if you spend over $600 for a kit something is really wrong.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
JeepDelaware
2009 JK Wrangler 

I hear you

Don't get too sick; I know people who pay $600 for a snorkel and never see water...

Anyway, you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
To get more technical, you will need adj trac bars or brackets if you venture into the 3"+ range.
I saw this write-up in the project-jk forum and he had this minor issue with the Teraflex 2.5 BB:

"Caster is off a bit but not enough to cause any more wandering that what I had off the showroom floor. A new adjustable front track bar and relocation bracket for the rear would be nice to recenter the axle but so far, I haven’t felt the “need” for one."

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

With this lift, do you think I would need a new adjustable front track bar and relocation bracket for the rear?

JC
JeepDelaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDelaware View Post
Don't get too sick; I know people who pay $600 for a snorkel and never see water...
True, but that still doesn't make it right, some people think the money for a snorkel has aesthetic value. A 2" lift is a 2" lift. $600 vs $1800 is INSANE!!

Anyway... a trac bar does nothing for caster angles, that's control arms. On a 2-3" lift, you should not have any caster issues. Some say going to longer rear uppers (adj) will put some ease on the rear drive shaft angle, but for what you're doing, I'd bet you'll never see a problem. If you do, you should get new drive shafts anyway. I'm running 2.5" on a 2dr and I've changed nothing. In fact, my axles really don't look off-center. If you INSIST on doing something about your track bars and you're p!ssing all this money away, I recommend you go with an adjustable bar and not a relo bracket. Lots of relo brackets have been over-stressing the factory mounts to the breaking point - very common on JK's. Thats a tow truck and a welder on your dime no matter what. Breaking those tabs is not so much an issue if you just go with a longer (adj) bar. Also, there have been some brackets that have one of the bottom bolt hole loosed up and you'll get a major death wobble. Lesson - stay away from brackets if you can.

I still say - if you want to run 35's for beach driving, go get a 2.5" BB with shocks. Terraflex is fine. Spending $1800 for some "dealer endorsed" 2" lift is ridiculous. There is nothing special about it.

FYI, dealers aren't obligated to adopt another dealers mess-up on non-factory stuff. God forbid you pay $1800 for that lift and you move... or that dealers closes its doors (lots of those recently), another dealer doesn't care who installed your lift. If you have one, they have every right to send you walking. Chances are most dealers are fine with a BB and they won't care who installed it. I was a service manager for Toyota for 4 years. I'd see lots of vehicles come back to me with problems on TRD stuff installed at other dealers that was garbage. Our advise - go see your original dealer. Sometimes that was a BIG problem, but I had no way to collect, so I had no choice. Any dealer rarely has a way to find recourse on a claim from another dealer's doings.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
kyrubicon
1980 CJ5 

I was looking at getting this lift kit, but the dealer told me they have them on back order for months. Don't know if this is exactly true but it might be worth looking into. I got OME 2" instead.
kyrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You will be pleased with your choice. Where did you get it from? See my sig for parts I used and it is a very good lift with no bump steer or DW.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
kyrubicon
1980 CJ5 

Good to hear. I got the lift from Northridge along with my 9.5ti. They were great peps nice to talk to and do business with, will return in the future. I just got springs and shocks hopefully i don't need much more.
kyrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDelaware View Post
My Jeep dealer said if I purchase the Mopar 2” lift for my 2009 4 door Rubicon auto and have them install it, it would not adversely affect the other warranties...
My comment deals with this statement. It is basically not true. The Mopar lift kit is a "performance" part and these parts do not have the same warranty as other Mopar accessories.

Now your dealer may be promising to give you a "full warranty" on the lift kit with their installation, but this warranty is being given and only supported by your dealer. If you travel someplace else or go to a different dealer, do not be surprised if they will not fix something under warranty. Another dealer might claim the lift kit caused some other problem and not honor warranty work on unrelated failures. You will be left fighting with the dealer. Every dealer is different...

My local dealer is fairly "mod friendly". Their basic rule is a 3" or less lift isn't automatically "bad" (whether they installed the lift or not and they sell a fair number of JKs with lifts on them). In other words if something breaks that obviously isn't effected by lifting the vehicle, they just handle it as warranty work. But if you break an axle with 35's on your Jeep, they probably will not warranty it.

The best bet is to find a good dealer that understands Jeeps and talk to them about adding a lift. Having a good "friendly" relationship with a service writer (or the service manager) is really nice to have when you start modifying your Jeep.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
ArmyMP
2007 JK Wrangler 

Your information

Offical word back form Tera flex on there 2.5 inch left for the JK is. New coil springs will give better ride than Budget Boost. There VRS 9500 shocks will extend farther than stock shock with shock extenders. There shocks will perform better than my rubicon shocks, for better road performance and trail. Most of that i figured they would say, makes them more money. There offical e-mail back to me was they would give me a 10% military discount.
ArmyMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

Mopar® introduces dozens of new aftermarket parts « The Scoop

"Also new, Mopar’s 2-inch lift kit is covered by a Mopar Performance first Limited Lifetime Warranty. Both the 2-inch and 4-inch lift kits by Mopar are currently available for purchase."

Presumably, if Mopar is giving the warranty, as stated, it's not dealer specific? Maybe the warranty is on the Mopar product only, and not on the install, or any ramifications thereof? The entire issue of my unlimited lifetime drivetrain, and B to B warranties, and potentially overlapping Mopar warranty seems vague.
DocJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

Get bricktop to chime, he knows quite a bit.
JkRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

When I called my Jeep dealer to ask if my warranty would be jeopardized by a 2-2.5" lift he said " No because Jeep (Mopar) is selling the same lift, so how could they void the warranty?" That's what he said. He also said you would be crazy to buy the Mopar lift for $1600, but it comes with ALL the extra replacement parts.... Just telling you what he said.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.