I need an extra key for my 2013 JKU... What are my options? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I need an extra key for my 2013 JKU... What are my options?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
roughandtangle
2013 JK Wrangler 

This thread got me thinking that i need another key in case i lose one so i don't have to go to the dealer and pay that big fee to get a key programmed. I went to ebay and found a flip key for 40 bucks with internal electronics (found it here). It says it works for wranglers. I know I shouldnt trust ebay's list of cars that it fits but I felt a little risky. Hope it works!

Unread 06-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #17
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just went to a local place yesterday called Quik-Keys to get a new key made. I had gotten a valet key for 45$ and this included programming. The key also opens my glove box. It took them about 10min to program. Now that I have 2 keys I can do the programming on my own and order a key with buttons. They wanted 120$ for that key type including programming.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE...

Ok the two transponder blanks from Ebay came in the mail. These...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-CHRYSL...#ht_1603wt_646

I went to Home Depot and had them cut. I then reread this thread and read my 2013 manual page 17 and 18.

Thread here...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/p...er-jk-1156474/

2013 Manual (page 17 & 18) here...

http://www.autodealertools.com/quick...3/Wrangler.pdf

I was able to program one of the two keys but not the other. No matter how many times I tried it just would not work. But I have to say getting the first one to take was a PITA...Those instructions suck and leave a lot for the imagination. First off there is no audible chime as the instructions state. Maybe this has something to do with me disabling the seatbelt chime. Secondly the final programing sequence laid out in step 4 does not occur as stated unless there is something wrong with this second transponder key. Many times I had to disconnect my battery and start over but I was never able to reprogram the second key.
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
roughandtangle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to keep posting in your thread but I thought I would share mine as well. I bought a transponder key from Ebay for $40 that has all electronics (Found it here) and I went to a local locksmith and had it cut for $10. Dealership quoted me $30. I have 2 existing keys and followed the instructions on how to program another and it worked great. Lock, unlock and panic buttons work. Also, now I have a key that doesn't poke me all day long in my pocket.

Summary: For $50 i have a third key that came with internal electronics and I like it better than the key that came with the car.
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mine cost $250, from the dealer. I was at my local Ace Hardware, this past weekend and noticed a sign advertising replacement key/fobs. Jeep was included in their list of manufacturers. Might be worth checking with them (can't be anywhere near dealer prices).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #21
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughandtangle View Post
Sorry to keep posting in your thread but I thought I would share mine as well. I bought a transponder key from Ebay for $40 that has all electronics (Found it here) and I went to a local locksmith and had it cut for $10. Dealership quoted me $30. I have 2 existing keys and followed the instructions on how to program another and it worked great. Lock, unlock and panic buttons work. Also, now I have a key that doesn't poke me all day long in my pocket.

Summary: For $50 i have a third key that came with internal electronics and I like it better than the key that came with the car.

Help me understand, you used the two keys you had to code the transponder chip of the new key. But what did you do the get the electronics for the lock/panic buttons to match the jeep?
(I thought that would require a dealer flash or something)
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have noticed with mine is that with the new buttonless key, when I lock my jeep using the factory button remote and open with the keyless remote, the alarm goes off. Im not sure if this is because of the transponder in the new key or locking with the button
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
roughandtangle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Help me understand, you used the two keys you had to code the transponder chip of the new key. But what did you do the get the electronics for the lock/panic buttons to match the jeep?
(I thought that would require a dealer flash or something)

Jiblet,

I programmed the transponder and that programs the electronics at the same time for the new key. In and out less than 5 minutes to complete.
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
mabar
2011 JK Wrangler 

Good place to get inexpensive, but made in the USA, transponder chip keys here:

Transponder chip keys for Jeeps

They come with programming directions, and there are also programming directions in your owner's manual.

Very easy to self-program, but you must have two working transponder chip keys either original or replacements to self-program

Mabar

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
mabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

To make it clear, for the Sahara/Rubicon, can one use one standard key and the valet key to program a third key?
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughandtangle View Post
Jiblet,

I programmed the transponder and that programs the electronics at the same time for the new key. In and out less than 5 minutes to complete.
thanks! good to know!
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #27
mabar
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
To make it clear, for the Sahara/Rubicon, can one use one standard key and the valet key to program a third key?
If the valet key is a working transponder key, then yes.

ANY two working transponder chip keys are required to program a third key.

Mabar

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
mabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

That's cool that they left this functionality on the wranglers. Somewhere around 2009 they stopped letting you do this on the grandcherokees and commanders.

I was forced to pay the dealer to make one for my commander.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.