I need an extra key for my 2013 JKU... What are my options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I need an extra key for my 2013 JKU... What are my options?

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

*** UPDATED *** I need an extra key for my 2013 JKU... What are my options?

Ok I have a 2013 JKU Sport (not the base) and I would like to have an extra key made. Both dealers are telling me it will cost 150 to 200 dollars for just one remote key. I think that is just ridiculous, do I have any aftermarket options?

Secondly, is it possible to get a key that will start and open the Jeep that is not a remote key? My old Rav4 had this type of a key and they were considerably cheaper to make. The dealer tells me this type of key is not an option for the sport but it is available on the Sahara and Rubicon. How would I go about acquiring this type of key for my Sport?

Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Jared89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Do a search this question has been covered alot.
Jared89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
Do a search this question has been covered alot.

Muchos Gracias Sherlock...
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes there are aftermarket keys, search will find threads with details of keys other have bought from ebay. You must already have two keys that work to be able to program a third. If you only have one then a dealer must do the programming.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yup, my wife lost her remote sensor key and the dealer needs the JK, the remaining key, and $170 to program a new remote sensor key...sucks, but not much else I can do at this time.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

related question:

if one programs a 3rd key... then loses one of the original 2... can the other original and the 'clone' be used to make another clone or must the 2 keys be the originals?
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
related question:

if one programs a 3rd key... then loses one of the original 2... can the other original and the 'clone' be used to make another clone or must the 2 keys be the originals?
Yes, you just need two keys that it will recognize to program the third. that's why I always get a third.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
related question:

I went back and read the threads on this and it appears you only need two keys with a transponder chip regardless of if they are the originals or a clone/copy.

Now here is what got me worried. According to the dealer I can't use the valet type key with my JKU Sport S. Only the Sahara and Rubicons have those. Both dealers told me I could only get the remote type and not the valet with no key fob. I'm going to buy these from Ebay and keep my fingers crossed hoping the dealer is full of ****.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-CHRYSL...1f6d53&vxp=mtr
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
donny90yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

You'll be good with that, I bought 2 for my 07. Dealer cut and programmed 1 for $65, and cut the other for free. I still haven't programmed the 3rd one but I use it to unlock the door. I'm not too worried about someone stealing it because it wont start the Jeep.
donny90yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
JKPaul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
Ok I have a 2013 JKU Sport (not the base) and I would like to have an extra key made. Both dealers are telling me it will cost 150 to 200 dollars for just one remote key. I think that is just ridiculous, do I have any aftermarket options?

Secondly, is it possible to get a key that will start and open the Jeep that is not a remote key? My old Rav4 had this type of a key and they were considerably cheaper to make. The dealer tells me this type of key is not an option for the sport but it is available on the Sahara and Rubicon. How would I go about acquiring this type of key for my Sport?
With corrections:**

Spare Keys

To all: As soon as you can go to a reputable key shop. Have one key made, no chip or programming, a simple door key only. Have a third ignition key made, assuming you still have 2. Hide the simple non starting made key somewhere in the engine compartment, use a magnet, wire, whatever. Then, hide an ignition key inside the Jeep in a spot where only you can find it, even if you have to work to get at it. Now, the hidden key gets you in, the ignition key gets you going. My cost was $50. Been doing this for years....soon as I get a new Jeep. When I sell my Jeeps I inform the new owner of the hidden keys location and at that point its up to them to do as they please with the keys.
JKPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I went back and read the threads on this and it appears you only need two keys with a transponder chip regardless of if they are the originals or a clone/copy.

Now here is what got me worried. According to the dealer I can't use the valet type key with my JKU Sport S. Only the Sahara and Rubicons have those. Both dealers told me I could only get the remote type and not the valet with no key fob. I'm going to buy these from Ebay and keep my fingers crossed hoping the dealer is full of ****.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-CHRYSL...1f6d53&vxp=mtr
Let me know if this works. I only have a remote key and want to get a plain jane key for my second set. Will the valet key allow me to turn on the jeep and also open the doors by using the key?
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
Let me know if this works. I only have a remote key and want to get a plain jane key for my second set. Will the valet key allow me to turn on the jeep and also open the doors by using the key?

I don't know if what the dealer says is true but I do know some people in the thread are misunderstanding what a valet key is. A valet key opens doors, starts ignition but can't open trunk or glove box, unless Jeep has re-defined what a valet key is.
I can't believe the base model has different lock cylinders than the higher model so I can't see why you couldn't have the feature. It's usually just a difference in how the key is cut that makes it a valet key. But I don't know...

As long as you have any two coded-transponder keys, you can program up to 8 (?) more transponder keys yourself. Whether or not they are cut and whether or not they have the electronic guts needed for power locks, remote start, or alarm.

Note that transponder is a passive system and has nothing to do with the power features of a key fob that has various buttons and a battery, etc.

A blank transponder key cost about $15-20.
A blank transponder key with an empty shell for electronics is about the same.
A blank transponder key with three or four-button electronics runs about $125.

Any key place can cut the blanks to match an original key.

A good locksmith can code a transponder for you if you're down to only one key. Otherwise, you have to go to the dealer. The prices may or may not be much different.

I'll note that for those with automatics, the cost of an oem remote start kit is not much over $200 and comes with two four-button keys. And the original three-button keys would still work (just not for remote starting)
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
Yes. The valet key is just what it says. It will allow someone who is parking your vehicle (valet parking) to open your door and drive the Jeep but not have access to your glove box etc... It's not a regular $1.00 copy from Home Depot, it has a transponder in it to communicate with the Jeep and allow you to start it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I can't believe the base model has different lock cylinders than the higher model so I can't see why you couldn't have the feature. It's usually just a difference in how the key is cut that makes it a valet key. But I don't know...

That's what I thought but the service department asked what type of key I had when I scheduled the apointment. He said the base models with the black key fob heads did not allow a valet key. He said the higher end models have a grey key fob head have a different mechenisim in the vehicle than the base Sport and Sport S. I hope he's wrong. I bought the one off of Ebay for $15 shipped and it includes two uncut transponder keys for a 2013 Jeep Wrangler.
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That's what I thought but the service department asked what type of key I had when I scheduled the apointment. He said the base models with the black key fob heads did not allow a valet key. He said the higher end models have a grey key fob head have a different mechenisim in the vehicle than the base Sport and Sport S. I hope he's wrong. I bought the one off of Ebay for $15 shipped and it includes two uncut transponder keys for a 2013 Jeep Wrangler.
Maybe someone with knowledge of this new feature will chime in....

Let us know how your new key-blanks turn out. Good luck.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
EagleRiverDee
2011 JK Wrangler 

Talk to your car salesman. They have a vested interest in keeping you happy, you may recommend them to a friend. Mine got me a third key (my Jeep came with two) for $70. Still not cheap, but it's a fully functional key. If you just need one that will open the door but doesn't need a chip to start the car, any key maker can do that.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.