I need expert advise! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I need expert advise!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4

4.88 is way overkill on the 2012. I have 4.10 factory and 35's. I have plenty of power going over mtn passes and cruising lowland flats. Thats all you need. Depending on where you live anywhere from 700 to 1000 per axle.
That's one opinion. I've spent the last week in the heat between 5000 and 9000 ft with a 2012 manual trans with 4.10s and 35s and I've been wishing desperately for lower gearing.

brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

My buddy has a JKU with 3.74 gears and runs 35s and he runs perfect on his jeep and its auto and same year as mine. So that is why I am wondering
Jclilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny40 View Post
Looked at gear chart and there seems to be about 170 RPM difference at 70mph between the 4.56 and 4.88. With the 6speed manual trans. I am having the same deliema between 4.56 and 4.88. My 2012 is a daily driver with 35s and I want stock performance and mpg. I do plan on occassional trail riding and mudding with buddies. I was tod 4.56, but they are a little more expensive than 4.88. I have to be cost conservative.
I can only attest to what works with the auto but there a lot of members here that have manuals that can help you.

I personally donít go by gear charts for my final decision. I like to rely on what the vast majority of people are saying to what gears they are running with basically the same setup as mine. You also need to factor in the extra weight youíll be adding to your Jeep like bumpers front and rear, winch, roof rack, under armor, body armor, tire and wheel weight and the list goes on.

As far as something being a bit more expensive donít let that be the deciding factor on which way you go. For the most part, whatever gears you end up installing is something that you will have to live with for as long as you own your Jeep. Be smart and chose wisely.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.