Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I need expert advise!

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  1222 
#1 ·
So I bought a used 2012 2dr JK, the price was too good to pass up. 10k miles with full accessorys only $20k ;):) anyways the dilemma is it has the 2.21 gears. It's automatic with D30 infront n D44 outback I live in south Florida and I don't plane on wheeling a lot maybe 1s or 2s. What do you guys think of putting 35s on it?

#6 ·
Well just do the 35s if your heart is set on them. You’ll either be content with the 3.21s or not. If you feel you need to re-gear then 4.10s is a great choice or maybe even go with 4.56 if you plan off roading a lot.
:cheers2:
Yea that's what I figured is it expensive to do that job? And what brand should I go with? Like I'm searching around now and I see they got 4.88 and 5.14. The 5.14 is too much so 4.88 seems right according to the gear ratio chart right?

#11 ·
The cost of a regear is mostly labor and if you are thinking lockers now is the time as you need to buy two carriers as well. you could save by just getting open carriers. but to lock it latter is the same labor again plus the 2k for say ARB.

I have a Rubi that year auto with 4:10. It does great. if you are going to regear though I would say 4:56max< I would get these , unless 37" are in the future. If so then 4:88.<on 35"s is over geared. 5:13 if you were going 37+, but on a d30? the pin would snap against 37+ When my jeep grows up it may get 37"s just cost to much to do it right.

just watch your axles. to much right foot and you may be seeing how the warranty holds up and why a d30 on 35"s is pushing it.

#16 ·
chrisjsmith4 said:
4.88 is way overkill on the 2012. I have 4.10 factory and 35's. I have plenty of power going over mtn passes and cruising lowland flats. Thats all you need. Depending on where you live anywhere from 700 to 1000 per axle.
That's one opinion. I've spent the last week in the heat between 5000 and 9000 ft with a 2012 manual trans with 4.10s and 35s and I've been wishing desperately for lower gearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.