I have a DW/shimmy issue I am trying to resolve. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I have a DW/shimmy issue I am trying to resolve.

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a DW/shimmy issue I am trying to resolve.

I have the broken tie rod adjusting "sleeve" noted in Planman's thread, I have the shimmy/DW but am not sure that is the spot. I just balanced and rotated the tires. 30psi or so. Lift has 3k miles and re-torqued once. Installed the JKS front trackbar support kit with new hardware. Ball joints should be fine and new.

The tie rod sleeve damage is there but I am not sure that not the cause. Any other causes? The sleeve is holding and the mechanic said he was able to get it set right, but the sleeve is definitely damaged. He was not able to align the vehicle due to the sleeve issue. Maybe retorque?

Original trackbar but I have the JKS support kit with new hardware.

Here is Planman's thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/

If you need extra pics please advise. Vehicle is down right now due to persistent shaking/DW. I am doing the tie rod since I think that is it. I am also concerned the drag link may be needed to be upgraded?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

joeorzechowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think you are starting at the right point to track down your shimmy...let us know. Broken parts, worn parts and proper torque...work through what Planman has laid out...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

I always update, I have a new tie rod going in there- hopefully soon and removing the spacers, adding rear trackbar support kit. Its the tie rod.
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

It also looks to me like you have two BIG shocks as "dampners" on the tie rod--can-em

You only need the little stock dampner provided by jeep--good enough, unless you wanna race your jeep !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Missed that, you are correct a mundo Jimbo.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

The stabilizers probably won't be causing any issues. Not really needed but probably not causing his issue.

If his tie-rod is broken is seems silly to try anything until that is repaired. If the tech couldn't align the vehicle and the tie-rod is broken then that needs to be remedied before moving forward.

You say the BJ's should be fine and new. What does "should be" mean? Either they are new and good, or they aren't new or they aren't good.

How about the trackbar. Drag link, especially the axle end.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

I am ordering the Synergy Chromoly Tie Rod and the Teraflex front flip draglink. The ball joints should be ok, but I may order Synergy ball joints too.

The tie rod and draglink are still stock. The front trackbar is stock, but I have the JKS front trackbar support kit in there with a frame brace. I think its the tie rod: if you look at the rusted coupling/connector there. Its going to be a bit before I can get a build slot at my shop unfortunately.

I am moving the caster up to 5. Many have advised a front flip drag link is needed for my rig.

So the front trackbar should hopefully be good. The BJ's: I think they are stock with 29k. I am not sure; they should not be the issue. I am going with a rear trackbar support brace since the front helped alot and left the back noticeable.

I left both trackbars stock but really wish I had beefed them up before installing the JKS front trackbar support kit. In any event, the stock tie rod is a joke with the 5 inch lift, 37's, spare, plus the new steel bumpers from Body Armor. Thank you for the advice. I took the rig off the road after 2 short dw's at 30mph to a stop. Rebalanced the tires, drove it home and it happened on the way. That is 3 DW's too many. My shop is only a mile away so that is good.
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeorzechowski
I am ordering the Synergy Chromoly Tie Rod and the Teraflex front flip draglink. The ball joints should be ok, but I may order Synergy ball joints too.

The tie rod and draglink are still stock. The front trackbar is stock, but I have the JKS front trackbar support kit in there with a frame brace. I think its the tie rod: if you look at the rusted coupling/connector there. Its going to be a bit before I can get a build slot at my shop unfortunately.

I am moving the caster up to 5. Many have advised a front flip drag link is needed for my rig.

So the front trackbar should hopefully be good. The BJ's: I think they are stock with 29k. I am not sure; they should not be the issue. I am going with a rear trackbar support brace since the front helped alot and left the back noticeable.

I left both trackbars stock but really wish I had beefed them up before installing the JKS front trackbar support kit. In any event, the stock tie rod is a joke with the 5 inch lift, 37's, spare, plus the new steel bumpers from Body Armor. Thank you for the advice. I took the rig off the road after 2 short dw's at 30mph to a stop. Rebalanced the tires, drove it home and it happened on the way. That is 3 DW's too many. My shop is only a mile away so that is good.
Any particular reason your using a mix of teraflex/synergy/JKs in the front?
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

No reason at all. I ordered the tire rod and am starting a new thread on whether I need a flip drag link with a 4 inch lift plus spacer that is .5 to 1 inch. Some here have suggested same, but the dealer sites say it is only for lifts over 4 inches. I am right at that mark. The other option is to go with a non-flip drag link and just buy a real beefed up version of the stock. I also need to know if I should replace the ball joints at 29k, 3k post-build.
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

I show in the 2nd YouTube video how to check the ball joints.

My wife, my son, and I each have JKs.

My wife's stock ball joints lasted about 25k miles.

My stock ball joints lasted less than 10k miles.

My son's ball joints didn't last 30k miles.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
I show in the 2nd YouTube video how to check the ball joints.

My wife, my son, and I each have JKs.

My wife's stock ball joints lasted about 25k miles.

My stock ball joints lasted less than 10k miles.

My son's ball joints didn't last 30k miles.
THis^^^^^^

And if you get a Synergy Tie rod you should use the the same drag link system. I run it.

The reason is this if at any time you say break a tre on the drag or a tie rod. it is the SAME part. all ends have the same threads and part#. makes a spar part ezypezy. stock is worthless. plastic inside, toss away.

why run one then go tera on the drag? Unless tera is using Synergy parts.

I think you are WRONG(Dw) and the tie rods though cr@p stock changing one in a system of four.? That malled part is the adjuster sleeve. unless its frozen cant adust toe its not that. or like I said all will be as wore as much as the one you replaced.

I will bet its your ball joints. Lift the Jeep front leave about two inches. Take a big a$$ pry bar and see how tight they are. Mine were like a crack heads teeth at 20K and needed replacing at least 5k ago. DO nOT just toss parts at DW. heck a dealer can do that.
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeorzechowski View Post
No reason at all. I ordered the tire rod and am starting a new thread on whether I need a flip drag link with a 4 inch lift plus spacer that is .5 to 1 inch. Some here have suggested same, but the dealer sites say it is only for lifts over 4 inches. I am right at that mark. The other option is to go with a non-flip drag link and just buy a real beefed up version of the stock. I also need to know if I should replace the ball joints at 29k, 3k post-build.
you need 3" bumps and you MUST raise the track bar axle side front 3 inches. Then you get to DRILL out the knuckle. Now you are ready for a flipped drag. flipping it raises it 3 inches. This raises the roll center of the track bar for a flatter track bar. handles better. But at the cost of 3 inch up. on 35-37 lifted jks on 3+ its nice. I like it way better.

If you change all this at one time, ball joints all tres. It will be so freeking tight out of the box it may not return steer as well as those loooooose stock are out of the box.

Mine took some break on the road. very solid feeling for now........

So Min. 3" lift
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

Thank you. My tie rod comes tomorrow. I am using this site to research the drag link issue. First thing I need to do is make sure the DW stops with the new tie rod. I am pretty sure it will.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

1. I am also going with the full set of Synergy ball joints in a week or two. 28k, 3k post lift.

2. If I have a stock front trackbar with the JKS Front Trackbar + Sector Shaft Reinforcement Kit:

http://jksmfg.com/i-8938548-wrangler...ement-kit.html

...do I still need the 9/16" grade 8 bolts and/or a better front trackbar? That kit appears to put you back into stock bolts in the last section of the installation instructions. I don't know if that kit obviates the need for a new front trackbar all together. That JKS kit really helped. Tonight I was able to wheel the rig 3 miles down the road to my shop, but it was touch and go. Hopefully the new tie rod will be all that is needed. Will update for all since there aren't many posts on DW or shimmy just caused only by a tie rod issue.
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
joeorzechowski

2010 JK Wrangler 

The new Synergy tie rod was just road tested to see if the DW/ harmonic shaking is still there. It looks like it is just masking something else. It looks like that repair just pushed something to the point where the DW could potentially still be there, but is now held in check for the most part by the new tie rod. I had DW about 4 times and pulled right over to minimize any further stressing.

The DW is gone but the steering wheel still shakes, now only a nominal amount, and stops before continued resonation would catch/flow thru to the whole entire front end. The front end seems firmed up, but now its just the little vibrations flowing thru to the steering wheel itself, over bumps, then fortunately stopping.

I am replacing the ball joints this week. I am researching what bad/defective ball joints would feel like or cause to happen to the vehicle. I do not have the mechanical expertise myself to locate the ball joints, lift and test for play or wear as per Planman's (part 2) instructions. I am just assuming they are bad at 29k, 3k post build from stock.

Its like its still there, but the new tire rod, balancing and rotation is masking it and reducing it, but not necessarily resolving it. That is what I continue to analyze: if that is the case.

Still testing over bumps at 40mph or lower. No highways yet. It shouldn't be a stock front trackbar hardware issue. I will post pics of that connection this weekend, with the JKS front trackbar support kit in there. Thank you.

I am doing the Synergy flip drag link but need to make sure it is compatible with my JKS front trackbar and sector shaft kit. JKS said you need to make sure that the trackbar does not hit the pillow block on full stuff. They said its a function of the lift, bumpstops and angle of steering. 222Doc said use 3 inch bumpstops. The trackbar may have been raised 3 inches with the JKS kit but I dont know if that can be raised wit the kit. Any posters who replied "ball joints" here is probably going to be the winner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.