I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 03-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #46
bigwrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel0312
I run a CAT 320 at work, I don't even notice the diesel smell anymore.
I love the smell of diesel in the morning.

bigwrm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #47
skellener

I'd love to see higher MPG and the chance to run bio-diesel (smells like french fries) in a Jeep Wrangler.
skellener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #48
Kameel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
And sadly as DC won't be offering the Rubicon in the UK with a diesel I might yet be tempted by a new Land Rover.

Have to see what they drive like.
Strange, as you can order a rubicon 2.8CRD in The Netherlands.
Any special reason? I mean, it seams to me that the Rubicon CRD is the best of both worlds.
Unread 03-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #49
donkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
My 2.5 litre 200Tdi in my Discovery not only produces more torque than a 4.0 Rover V8 but also makes the vehicle faster yet still retains 24-26mpg even running 33" off road tyres and having modified the engine. A V8 on normal road tyres will be getting 14-16mpg.
25 mpg on 33's? Holy crap! That is amazing.

Another vote for more diesel offerings here. DC bean counters - please aprove a diesel engine choice for the JK here in the US. We will pay for it.

And FYI you also have a brand new 260 H.P. V6 with a pretty flat torque curve sitting on your shelf too...
donkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #50
STANSUSKI

I'll take one
2007 Unlimited X base model black,6spd.4.10,front and rear mats.Added deep tint softop windows,30%tint front and15%rear doors.Mopar hitch and 4-way wiring harness.Optional 17" wheels/tires.COMING SOON 2009 RUBICON UNLIMITED PURCHASED 04/17/2009
STANSUSKI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #51
toos

I really wanted a diesel and had been saving for a Grand Cherokee CRD, but the price of the 2007 is simply too much to justify the cost, and they are not available yet anyway.

I test drove a Liberty CRD last year and thought the engine was quite nice. The Liberty was cramped though, and I had heard a lot about problems with the EGR valves failing (costly item) and the crankcase ventilation system (CCV) gradually filling with oil because they did not design a proper filter for it. The lack of ULSD fuel probably was probably an issue too, since the VM engine apparently was really designed to use that fuel.

After driving the JK this year (and losing my JGC to a deer, which forced me to look for a new Jeep), I decided to order a 2007 JK Unlimited and plan on trading for a JK diesel once one has been out for at least a year or two. I'll be very interested in hearing how the 3.0L diesel performs in the new JGC's. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping there will be a decent diesel/tranny combination out in service for the JK by 2010. Biodiesel is the way to go in my opinion, and if the engine is designed right you still should get 200-300k miles out of it, even without the extra sulfur for lubricity (wonder if that is true for the 18 wheeler power plants out there now, going to ULSD? Another thing to watch for re diesel engine reliability/design I guess).

Anyway, I think D-C has a hit with the JK and they will offer a reliable diesel in the US someday (I wonder if the Daimler will still be there, of course). When that happens, I'll be thinking hard about either a trade or getting a second Jeep!
toos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #52
bofer84

Location: lakeland florida/ seneca south carolina/tampa florida
haha, yep, this brought alot of replys. diesel is better then gas in more ways then its worse. less moving parts = better reliability. haha, i hardly ever see a diesel broken down on the road, those engines are made 5xs as strong as gas engines, its not even a comparison. you can ford water, really really deep water with diesel, you cant in a gasser. gas engines run of electricity, you can start a diesel up and then take the battery out, just for an example. as long as its runnin, it aint gonna stop haha. better mileage, more torque, and you can make them alot faster then a gas job.

im pretty sure the reason why we dont have have the deisel option over here is because of our holding tanks in the US. the diesel we use is high in sulfer (which is what you smell on the trail) the sulfer over the years has basically been sunk into the metel holding tanks, at large facilities, gas stations, everywhere they put diesel. Europe netherlands other places use clean diesel, or much cleaner then what we use. So if we were to just swich to the type of diesel that everyone else is using we would have to switch out all of our holding tanks as well....i dont even want to know what that would cost nation wide...to much acording to the us, so right now, thats why you dont see alot of manufactures sending diesels over here, for them to make a motor that can take the amount of sulfer we use in our petrol would be much to costly. so, as you can see were kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. haha...but i would love to see a CRD rubicon, that would be BA
bofer84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #53
donkie

I for one welcome our new diesel overlords

We don't have more diesels because of environmental wackos, politcs and the ignorant people that write the legislation preventing financially viable mass production.
donkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #54
bofer84

Location: lakeland florida/ seneca south carolina/tampa florida
haha in summary, you are absolutely correct
bofer84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.