I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #31
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer
Always reminds me of my high school days in the band traveling to out of town football games. Some crazy times on those buses!
Dude i totally know what you are talking about... it was great being the "hottest" band member my junior and senior year, bus rides were a blast

EDIT: after reading that it kinda' made me sound fruity....

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #32
Ps402

A diesel Jeep would be crappy? Man I would love one. Like Many people said, Diesels are getting better and better every year. My friend is a Diesel Engine Tech (with a Masters) for GM and he says Diesels are the way to go. Better gas milage, cleaner running, more torque. I drove in a test truck that they are getting ready to use and it was quieter than my gas truck. When he punched it at 40 it got up to 70 in about 2 seconds. It was rediculous. Did I mention that this truck was a quad cab- 8 ft bed? Huge. I wish They had Diesel Wranglers. That would be sweet.
and gave me a firm place to stand.[/COLOR]
Psalm 40:2
Ps402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #33
skellener

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xgore
I drive two diesel cars. A VW Jetta and a VW Passat Wagon. I run Biodiesel in the Jetta and will in the wagon soon. The Jetta gets (on average) 48MPG and the Passat Wagon 39MPG. If you think that gas is cheaper than diesel figure up the milage and see what you come up with. Besides, when your out in the "back country" wheeling and you run out of gas, in a diesel at least you can burn different types of fuel to get you home. Go to the nearest house and get some vegitable oil pour it in and get a little farther. When running Biodiesel the exhaust smell is like french fries cooking. The diesel will give you more tourqe with less horse power at lower RPMs. All military HMMWVs (not a typo) are diesel. It's just the fear of something different that will keep Americans driving gas engines.
Absolutely 4xgore!!
skellener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #34
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

let me ask a ? for those who want a diesel jeep. how much a of a difference in wheeling will it really make? im mean my stock 4 to 1 is almost to low in first gear, i can already idle over anything i need to. and my jk goes down the road fine ,im not racing anyone with it or towing anything bigger than a pop-up camper, i mena it can only tow so much fopr its weight.
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #35
2JK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt the difference on the trail would be too noticable. We're talking low power, so other than maybe a TJ-like torquiness, probably not much performance difference. I have had two Ford Powerstroke 4x4's and loved the diesel! Never had any stalling or problems. The diesel JK will probably sell like hotcakes. If you don't like the fumes on the trail, get to the front. Besides the clean air, if someone breaks down, its most likely that they are behind you. If you break down, no one goes anywhere 'til you're fixed. No charge for the advice.

JK
2JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #36
Diesel0312

I run a CAT 320 at work, I don't even notice the diesel smell anymore.
Mods: Windshield mounted Hella FF1000 driving lights, Rugged Ridge front grab handles, CLC rear grab handles, Teraflex 2.5" BB, Quadratec boor handle covers, Bestop spare cover, Custom front bumper, 17X9 Pro Comp 1079's, 305/17/R17 Buckshot Mudders.
In the works: Custom rear bumper.
Diesel0312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:13 AM   #37
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
When the diesel is allowed in California, it will be cleaner then the gas engine.
The emissions for 2007 already calls for exhaust to be cleaner than the air in L.A. So, in reality, the current 2007 approved diesels are air scrubbers.

Rgs, JLH
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 02:01 AM   #38
h20squirter
2012 JK Wrangler 

please please please let me have one. if they weren't $30k from BOR i would be buying one for my JK.
Unread 03-23-2007, 02:20 AM   #39
the_sandman_454
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I may be biased since my tow vehicle features a turbodiesel engine, but I would love a turbodiesel engine installed in a Jeep. In the truck application, it's relatively quiet (can easily hold a conversation at highway speeds), and somewhat refined, as diesels go. The new generations of diesels don't even have much in the way of the familiar old school diesel clatter.

Of course the new regulations have them choked down so much it takes away some of the fun, with particulate traps, and other crap to help take away fuel economy in the name of pacifying the general public about the "downsides" of diesels. I'm not sure in a SWB Jeep where they'll find room for the catalytic converter, particulate trap and all that associated garbage though, but since they can fit them in on small cars, surely they'll be able to figure out a way to do it.

Basically diesels are the engine choice of the future. Embrace them.
the_sandman_454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #40
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
They also get a rather good and relatively cheap public transportation system. I would not mind geeting to work on a train, or a bus, or metro, but there is no such possibility around here.
That's total and utter crap, the public transport here is at best pretty ****e and that's only in London.

It isn't cheap and it isn't good!!!!

As for all you diesel haters you really are being very stereotypical and quite evidently have no idea about diesel engines.

1. They are not smelly or noisey.

MOST 4x4's and many cars sold in the UK are diesels, infact the diesel is so popular here in the Discovery 3 (LR3) that next year the V8 is being discontinued.

2. Diesels are very reliable and is partly why they are the mainstay of most military vehicles. The Defender still uses the 300Tdi unit which was the main production engine in the mid/late 90's for Land Rover. This is because it is reliable and economical.

3. Power, diesel technology has imporved allowing much more power. My 2.5 litre 200Tdi in my Discovery not only produces more torque than a 4.0 Rover V8 but also makes the vehicle faster yet still retains 24-26mpg even running 33" off road tyres and having modified the engine. A V8 on normal road tyres will be getting 14-16mpg.

If you don't want a diesel - no problem. But don't shun them when you haven't a frigging clue of their benefits and abilities. Even more so if you've never owned one.

EDIT:

BTW - my chioce of engine in the JK would be a diesel. The 3.0 CRD offered here in other DC vehicles would be ideal as even in stock form it produces more HP/torque than the 3.8 V8.

Sadly it's the 2.8 CRD we are getting with 174bhp but it still has more torque than the 3.8 V6 and should be returning 28-32mpg+

Also with a few tweaks it will easily out perform in the 3.8 in the power depeartment.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #41
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JK
I doubt the difference on the trail would be too noticable. We're talking low power, so other than maybe a TJ-like torquiness, probably not much performance difference. I have had two Ford Powerstroke 4x4's and loved the diesel! Never had any stalling or problems. The diesel JK will probably sell like hotcakes. If you don't like the fumes on the trail, get to the front. Besides the clean air, if someone breaks down, its most likely that they are behind you. If you break down, no one goes anywhere 'til you're fixed. No charge for the advice.

JK
Diesel 4x4's are the mainstay here in the UK. The Land Rover Defender has only been available with a diesel for nearly 20 years (one or two limited edition exceptions).

The diesel is also the preferred competition engine for many as well, this is bacause it's very good in water but also how and where it develops it's power. It's ideally suited for off road conditions.

As for towing, well diesels usually do a fine job and retain pretty good MPG. Although towing with a Jeep is not limited byt the engine. What's the JK rated at 2000lb or something. A 2.5 litre diesel Land Rover Defender 90 with an almost identical wheelbase to a TJ of 93" is rated to tow 7700lb from the factory.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
Unread 03-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #42
h20squirter
2012 JK Wrangler 

THREAD HIJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

not sure how blasphemous this is, but all you Brits on here, go talk to Land Rover and tell them to bring the next gen of Defender back to this side of the pond. I want a D90 soft top., diesel.
Unread 03-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #43
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20squirter
THREAD HIJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

not sure how blasphemous this is, but all you Brits on here, go talk to Land Rover and tell them to bring the next gen of Defender back to this side of the pond. I want a D90 soft top., diesel.
Well the new model is out next month here, but it's not really a next gen. Underneith it's still the same as the 90/110 models of the 80's.

It has got a new DOHC 16v 2.4 turbo diesel engine and a 6 speed manual tranny, plus a brand new interior.

There are other changes, suspension has been revised and I suspect the traction control system from the Td5 models has been refreshed.

Don't think you guys will see it though, as to get US type approval would mean a whole re-design. But that would negate the ability of the current setup where there are over 20 or so body variations and many custom built setups.

There has been word of a Defender (in name only) being based on the LR3 platform for the American market, but it really wouldn't be the same type of vehicle.

Quote:
The Land Rover Defender is the longest surviving SUV, and it soldiers on for 2007 with some important enhancements to its interior and powertrain. First off, the Defender still looks the same way it always has, which is to say utilitarian and square. The only exterior change is to the hood, which receives a new profile to fit around the Defender's new 2.4-liter four-cylinder CRD diesel engine. The new motor puts out 120 hp and 265 ft-lbs. of torque, and a new six-speed gearbox with a lower first gear and higher sixth gear improve responsiveness while rock crawling and highway cruising, respectively. The Defender's dash has also been completely redone and features bits and pieces from the LR3, a more powerful HVAC system and an improved stereo system with AUX-IN jacks and high-mounted tweeters. Seats have also been upgraded and for the first time the station wagon model can be ordered with a third row of seating.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/22/2...nder-unveiled/

I really like the JK, but I've been around Land Rovers all my life and I really like thye look of the new Defender. And sadly as DC won't be offering the Rubicon in the UK with a diesel I might yet be tempted by a new Land Rover.

Have to see what they drive like.
Unread 03-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #44
toledotimber

The biggest problem with U.S. diesels has been, traditionally, poor diesel fuel. Up until Oct. 2006, U.S. diesel was allowed 500,000,000 parts per million of sulfur. The E.P.A.'s new standard is 15 ppm. (not 15 million ppm.--just 15 ppm.), and 80% of U.S. diesel must meet that standard right now. By 2010, all U.S. diesel fuel must meet it. I can't wait for a diesel JK.
toledotimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #45
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The low sulphur diesel reduces emissions and allows the next generation of diesel engines to be more fuel efficient. Ford has had a new diesel in development for some time that can take advantage of this technology. Mercedes has the bluetech. I think the biggest obstacle of diesel is the increased cost. I don't mean in terms of buying diesel fuel. I mean the increased cost of the engine. Price out a Ford truck for example with a 5.4L gasoline engine then price out the exact same truck with same options but with a diesel. It's about $5,000 price increase if not more. It's not that bad if you are talking about a high dollar vehicle, but on a vehicle that has been traditionally marketed on the lower end of the mid priced tier, that kind of premium price or higher could be a make or break deal for many.
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.