I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 11-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #16
mrgibbysworth

This "bad taste" of diesel in the US is exactly why diesel doesn't sell here.

The truth is that modern diesels, with urea injection and particulate filters, are as clean as modern IC gas cars. Think of the advances in IC gas motors over the past 30 years (unleaded fuel, cleaner burning, more hp, more mpg, more reliability). A modern diesel has more torque and thus when properly setup is more efficient than a modern high-rev gas car.

However Cali, NY, VT, and a few other states have a "diesel ban" that currently makes modern diesels, like the MB Bluetec, only 45-state legal. Once they settle the regs regarding the urea injection, we will see more 50-state diesels.

The smelly diesel truck and bus problem is a combination of the vehicles being old and poorly maintained and the high-sulfur diesel fuel we sell. I would like to see more strict regs and/or enforcement for commercial diesels but that's unlikely. You will probably, at some point, be stuck behind a modern diesel on the trail that smells, but it will be because the owner did (or didn't) do something, or something is wrong. For what it's worth, I get stuck behind some gas cars that are smelly because they got shot valves and are burning lots of oil.

Anyway the prejudice against modern diesels is certainly not without cause, but it is mostly based on history and misconception.

Summer gear = CJ soft top/soft doors[/SIZE]
mrgibbysworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #17
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd love to have a deisel engine in my YJ. Sign me up for one of those. Lots of torque at the low RPMs means great wheelability.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #18
casm
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBaker
(BTW, we ***** and moan and predict the apocalypse when our gas prices hit $3 a gallon, when our friends across the pond pay at least $6-$8.)
Something I'd like to mention as an aside to all of this: the reason fuel costs as much as it does in Europe is because it's taxed extremely heavily. IIRC, my parents pay somewhere in the region of EUR1.03/litre, roughly 80% of which is tax. Obviously that figure varies from country to country, but it's still taxed punitively. Fuel prices in the US also more than doubled in the space of about two years, a trend that was not matched in Europe.

Having said that, I think everyone is spot-on with the previous comments. Having driven a couple of the newer generation of diesels, all I can say is that it's a shame we haven't got them sooner, and I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised with what's coming. It'll be hard to overcome the perceptions that most people in the US hold towards diesels, but I'm really optimistic that it'll happen.
casm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #19
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgibbysworth
The smelly diesel truck and bus problem is a combination of the vehicles being old and poorly maintained and the high-sulfur diesel fuel we sell.
Every new diesel truck that rolls off the lot is loud and smelly.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #20
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

Who worries about a jeep being loud and smelly? Oh yeah, soccer moms.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #21
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xgore
Who worries about a jeep being loud and smelly? Oh yeah, soccer moms.
No, the people who like to breathe and also those who prefer to enjoy some nature when they made it out into the mountains.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #22
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBaker
(BTW, we ***** and moan and predict the apocalypse when our gas prices hit $3 a gallon, when our friends across the pond pay at least $6-$8.)
They also get a rather good and relatively cheap public transportation system. I would not mind geeting to work on a train, or a bus, or metro, but there is no such possibility around here.
Unread 11-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #23
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

Lighten up Karamba. Don't take yourself so seriously, a diesel engine in the context that you’re referring to is not that much noisier than a gas engine. A gas burner with a nice set of headers on it is louder than a diesel engine. Refer to my first post on the subject in reference to smelly. You sound like you enjoy nature, why don't you embrace and engine that can actually help the environment? Or do you suggest an electric hybrid Jeep? That would be interesting on the trails. I understand that some people like to buy jeeps because they look cool and are convertible and I cast those into the soccer mom category no matter what gender and they tend to not like Jeeps that are loud and smelly.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #24
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xgore
That would be interesting on the trails. I understand that some people like to buy jeeps because they look cool and are convertible and I cast those into the soccer mom category no matter what gender and they tend to not like Jeeps that are loud and smelly.
I am buying a new JK-U before the next season because it can make it up some old "roads" here in Sierra Nevada. If it can be quite and efficient, that would be even better. And I like the new one for beeing much better in this regard then the TJ. Though some time ago I got rid of TJ because of size, not comforts.

AFAIK urea injection approval is stuck at the EPA level, not CARB - something about not having consumables in the emmission control system. I hope it is resolved soon.

Electric hybrid or fuel cell vehicle should be a better idea then some may think for an off-road vehicle. Maximum torque at 0 rpm and instantaneous throttle control, 2 speed gearbox. If they figure out how to make it lighter and sturdier, I will take an electric drive over a gas/diesel any time.
Unread 11-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #25
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would love to have a diesel in my JK. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for another, we will have them over here.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #26
casm
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
They also get a rather good and relatively cheap public transportation system. I would not mind geeting to work on a train, or a bus, or metro, but there is no such possibility around here.
Depends largely on where you are. If you're outside of a metropolitan area (as most populaces in Europe are), it doesn't matter how good public transport is if you can't use it. And believe me, there are plenty of major European cities with useless public transportation systems...
Unread 11-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #27
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by casm
Depends largely on where you are. If you're outside of a metropolitan area (as most populaces in Europe are), it doesn't matter how good public transport is if you can't use it. And believe me, there are plenty of major European cities with useless public transportation systems...
Oh, I do know a bit about it. Grew up there. But hardly anything compares to how bad California is in this regard - and with huge cars and people commuting for miles and miles... Oh, well.
Unread 11-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #28
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Electric hybrid or fuel cell vehicle should be a better idea then some may think for an off-road vehicle. Maximum torque at 0 rpm and instantaneous throttle control, 2 speed gearbox. If they figure out how to make it lighter and sturdier, I will take an electric drive over a gas/diesel any time.
X2. This technology would definitely benifit a Wrangler. I would certainly buy one if it wasn't too expensive and had decent power on the street.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #29
casm
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Oh, I do know a bit about it. Grew up there.
Same here. Out of curiosity, whereabouts were you? I mainly grew up in Ireland, but have also lived in the UK, France, and Spain, and have been to every EU country at one time or another with a few exceptions.
Unread 11-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #30
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemd98
i must be crazy, but i like the smell
Always reminds me of my high school days in the band traveling to out of town football games. Some crazy times on those buses!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.