I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I dread Diesel Jeep Wranglers

I know this post may bring lots of angry replies... but here goes: I really dread the day when Diesels start coming out and end up wheeling with a bunch of Diesel rigs in front of me on a trail.

Have you ever been to a Greyhound Bus terminal where 3 or 4 buses are lined up with their engines running? Choking diesel exhausts used to almost kill me. Cigarettes bad for you? Forget that... diesel exhaust will kill faster.

Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

i must be crazy, but i like the smell

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
jpaddict

How about, "simply wrong".
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
jpaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I think people that smoke, smoke way more than they wheel behind a disel.
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
I know this post may bring lots of angry replies... but here goes: I really dread the day when Diesels start coming out and end up wheeling with a bunch of Diesel rigs in front of me on a trail.
I agree! Plus every diesel I've driven (3 total) dies at the worst possible moment and you can't get them started again. No way would I take a diesel engine vehicle 20 miles into the backcountry. Saw two of them die and hauled out of the boondocks at the tune of over $1,000 last summer.
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Have you ever been to a Greyhound Bus terminal where 3 or 4 buses are lined up with their engines running? Choking diesel exhausts used to almost kill me. Cigarettes bad for you? Forget that... diesel exhaust will kill faster.
I agree 100%. Unless DM comes out with some really good emissions equipment, I will get a V8, whether it's from Jeep or AEV, I will get it.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

how many mercedes diesels, or VW diesels, or even cummins, duramaxs, or power strokes (all stock), do you actually notice the smell when on the road? the jeep diesel will be the same as all of these, if you leave it alone you shouldn't notice a thing out in the open.

Add: how many liberty jeeps with diesels make you sick in traffic?

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Karamba

Quote:
When the diesel is allowed in California, it will be cleaner then the gas engine.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
skellener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Creek
I agree! Plus every diesel I've driven (3 total) dies at the worst possible moment and you can't get them started again. No way would I take a diesel engine vehicle 20 miles into the backcountry. Saw two of them die and hauled out of the boondocks at the tune of over $1,000 last summer.
Aren't most construction vehicles diesels? I thought most military vehicles are diesels? I would think they would be pretty reliable. They go everywhere. No?
skellener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
Jimmy4321
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I worked on scales for a year on hwy .The smell of diesel exhaust gives me an eggyolk headache.
Jimmy4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener
Aren't most construction vehicles diesels? I thought most military vehicles are diesels? I would think they would be pretty reliable. They go everywhere. No?
True, but how many construction, or military, vehicles do you see far, far from civilization with no back up support?
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #12
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemd98
how many mercedes diesels, or VW diesels, or even cummins, duramaxs, or power strokes (all stock), do you actually notice the smell when on the road? the jeep diesel will be the same as all of these, if you leave it alone you shouldn't notice a thing out in the open.

Add: how many liberty jeeps with diesels make you sick in traffic?
All my vehicles (Jeep Wrangler, Audi A4 and Mercedes Benz SLK230) all have a fully functioning AC/Recirculate mode... In city driving, I always use the recirculate mode to block out engine exhausts: Diesel exhaust, old car exhausts. In Alabama it's especially bad due to lack of vehicle inspection... many old cars with bad emissions and exhausst. Can't enjoy the nice weather with window or top down because of bad exhausts. Guess the years of smoking makes me sensitive. Trying to quit as we speak!

I know many Jeepers are looking forward to Diesel, but it costs more than regular unleaded gas, not to mention not every gas station carries Diesel fuel, more gas mechanic than Diesel, etc, etc, so I'll probably stay with gasoline engine.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #13
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

I thought that I remember reading somewhere that the new lineup of diesels will be to the same standards as the Euro diesels, and that they run quite a bit cleaner than the US ones.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #14
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

I drive two diesel cars. A VW Jetta and a VW Passat Wagon. I run Biodiesel in the Jetta and will in the wagon soon. The Jetta gets (on average) 48MPG and the Passat Wagon 39MPG. If you think that gas is cheaper than diesel figure up the milage and see what you come up with. Besides, when your out in the "back country" wheeling and you run out of gas, in a diesel at least you can burn different types of fuel to get you home. Go to the nearest house and get some vegitable oil pour it in and get a little farther. When running Biodiesel the exhaust smell is like french fries cooking. The diesel will give you more tourqe with less horse power at lower RPMs. All military HMMWVs (not a typo) are diesel. It's just the fear of something different that will keep Americans driving gas engines.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #15
DannyBaker

Quote:

I understand your concerns, but they are totally unfounded. The fault in your argument involves what you say yourself - "used to."

The entire prospect of a future diesel JK rests on the fact that these are *not* your grandfather's diesels. As noted before in this thread, they would be cleaner than a gasoline engine, and nothing like what you're used to from buses or 18-wheelers. Just one piece of this equation is that the diesel fuel just now getting to pumping stations has only 3% of the sulfur emissions as past diesel fuel. And that's not even counting advancements in diesel engine technology, which Europeans have been enjoying for years. (BTW, we ***** and moan and predict the apocalypse when our gas prices hit $3 a gallon, when our friends across the pond pay at least $6-$8.)

Better fuel economy, with loads of torque at low RPMs? Personally, I can't wait for a modern diesel - although I actually *am* waiting for a diesel to be available before I buy my own JK.
DannyBaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.