Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

66K views 196 replies 63 participants last post by  little_Jeep 
#1 ·
So here's my story. I was out playing around in puddles...really nothing big at all. On my way out I made one final run, a little water splashed on the hook and the engine died. I still have the dealer plates on her and they towed me, after my friends got me out of the water, to the dealership. I've read some of the threads and seen some people say that it was covered by Jeep for the repairs. I have a video of my final death run and it shows I was not exceeding the limits of "the most capable offroad vehicle". She's a stock JK Rubi and can climb anything I point her at...water seems to be an issue. I would love to hear any thoughts on this, what it could be, best wat to prevent it (what is the best snorkel?) and if anyone has had this happen and had it covered by warranty I'd really love to hear from you so I can have a little ammo when I go in to fight them.

#3 ·
I REALLY need a snorkle. I play in the water alot.

#4 ·
If you want the dealership to pay you need to convinve them you were on a paved road instead of offroading and having fun. I would recomend washing your Jeep very well (sepecially the underside) because if they find mud caked everywhere they will think you were offraoding (even if thats not the case) and it will be a lot harder to get it repaired for free.

#6 ·
If you have video proof that you were following the user's manual guidelines for water crossing, and still hydrolocked, you may be able to get it covered, although be ready for a fight. You may need to go through Chrystler's customer assistance line.

I would mention the "trail rated" badge and advertising. Iv gotten radiator fan motors covered after the burnt out when I got them caked with mud. I took it to the dealer with the entire engine bay still solid brown with mud and got it covered.

#8 ·
She's a stock JK Rubi and can climb anything I point her at...water seems to be an issue.
Seems like water + speed is the issue. If water splashes into the air intake, there are holes in the bottom of the air box for it to drain out. However, if you're doing anything to cause the engine to realllllllly breath while water comes in, the faster airflow isn't going to let the water go out the bottom.

I changed my air filter for the first time yesterday and about crapped when I saw lines from where mud had gotten sucked in and drained out the bottom. I'm sure if I was gunning it through the mud, that stuff would have going straight into (and thru) the paper filter.

#10 ·
water may be the thing that kills the engine. but its not really the water's fault. it's the speed people hit it at that gets the water up to their intake.

for my rig, my hydrolock hole is ~44" from the ground (air intake)

during our monsoon season i went out wheelin' in the aftermath of storms, came across quite a few areas where the water was running up to my rock rails (24").

drove right on through, even one that put a couple inches of water into the tub, so about 28" deep.

but slowly and carefully.

adding speed to those crossings though, it would be very easy to dump water straight into that hole and kill the engine.

i do like making a big splash, but after reading one too many 'puddle = hydrolock' stories, i don't worry about the splash.

#12 ·
Man, crazy. On my old TJ, I opened up my filter box after a wheeling trip and dropped a brick when I saw the trail of liquid dirt running past the filter (Aftermarket filter oilable, if it were cotton this never would have happened) down the intake tube, in the throttle body, and past it. I cleaned everything out, but this scenario repeated its self several times before I installed my snorkel. It actually became a joke, my 4.0 gained a reputation as the "mud eater".

#13 ·
Iv had to change out air filters after getting them soaked in mud. Water never got past the cotton filter media. I would stay far, far away from a non cotton filter, simply for cotton's ability to absorb the water.

#14 ·
x2. That is what I was trying to say! Thank you. I have seen many instances where a friend's vehicle shuts down, and we diagnose it to a completely saturated cotton filter. The filter, though completely saturated, allowed no airflow past it (hence the shutdown) and consequently no water flow past it either. It really is amazing to see an airbox with standing dirty water, a saturated cotton filter, and NO moisture on the other side of the filter. This is the main reason I am leaving my stock box alone this time, nothing beats the cotton media.

#15 ·
I must be getting really lucky at times.....sometimes the high tide is so high up on the beach and soo many campers Ive had to cruise through the water at a relatively high speed as to not get sunked into the sand. Water up on the hood and everything. I really need to get a snorkal, think that will be my next project.

Sorry to hear about your new jeep, I would give the dealership a try first....Ive made huge splashes in my sisters tacoma without a hitch, thats one thing I dont like about these jeeps.

#16 ·
This is so strange. I am sorry to hear about your JK, but am alarmed to hear that this may be a problem with the JK. I have splashed around in it a few times, and have discovered SOME water and dirt in the airbox, but hardly anything (liquid wise) on the filter and nothing past it. I just pull the box and clean it in the sink each time and replace the cotton filter. I usually keep one with me in case it gets soaked. Are you sure that it Hydrolocked? It wasn't just a soaked filter? If the cotton filter becomes saturated, it will completely block airflow to the engine, killing it and preventing it from starting.

#23 ·
All you really need to know is that they advertise water fording capability. Some lawyers can sue them for false advertising. I have seen it happen with a few land rovers and LR upgraded clients to the tricked out model version free of charge. Go to court and they loose.

Jeep.com:
"Hit that riverbed with confidence. Trail Rated® Jeep® 4x4s feature additional electrical and body sealing, along with a high air intake location for optimum water fording capability. Note: Do not attempt water fording unless depth is known to be less than 19 inches."

#35 ·
Your speed has alot to do with fording water,it's common sense which seems like some of you do not have alot of.Sure those big splashes look cool but is it really worth paying for a new engine?

I've been in water to almost my hood line,nice and steady speed of about 5 mph kept the water away from my air inlet.Just got to use common sense.

If you want to play in the water time to actually make a deep water fording kit,expect upwards of $5000+.When properly done you can ford deep water with ease,and if you want to learn how to properly ford deep water join the Marines and become a mechanic or driver and you will get tought the proper way to ford 60" of water in HMMWV,it's kinda fun but you will get wet.

#26 ·
Have fun with that.

The warranty section of your owners manual reads they will cover repairs to covered parts due to "defects in materials or worksmanship".

Getting water in your engine from an outside source is not a defect in materials or worksmanship.

Have fun buying a new engine.

The only ways a hydrolocked engine would be covered by warranty is if you had a intake or head gasket leak coolant into the cylinders, or a head or block crack allowing coolant into the cylinders thus allowing the engine to hydrolock. This would be a defect in materials or worksmanship.

#27 ·
I doubt it will be covered under warranty. Mine sure wasn't and I was only in maybe 12" of water or so. Wasn't even driving that fast at all either for mine. Just grenaded somehow I really can't explain it. My isurance sure stepped in to help thanks god. just over $9,000 to have it replaced.

#28 ·
That totally Sucks! I think I may be looking for a Snorkel for mine sooner than later.

I would not post that video until you have this settled. Even then... Service advisors and insurance adjusters watch You-Tube as well.

First shot is take it to the dealer be cool about it and just explain that you were crossing shallow water at a prudent speed, figure 10 mph tops and it just died suddenly. Just don't be too shocked if they tell you to file a claim with your insurance.

The problem is that time is one their side. Unless you are prepared to have the Jeep fixed out of your own pocket then file a claim first against Jeep & second against your insurance, Option 2 park it in the driveway for months while you argue your case.

Best bet is to go in tomorrow and plead your case but be prepared to call insurance and file it as damages just like any other accident.

Personally I would omit the details of how it happened... hit a puddle on a dirt road and it died, end of story.

#31 ·
"allibaster; Slow and steady just like in this Jeep commercial?"

I know, I know....like I always tell my kids....do as I say, and not as I do.

The commercials are pretty, but the reality is that as long as they throw the "real story" somewhere in the literature, and then tell you that you have to read it....they're 90% covered...

#45 ·
Unless of coarse, you happen to be selling, say, cigarettes......
Bottom line, lawyers can be an asset or a liability, depending on how deep your pockets are. It's a game played in a court room. The deepest pockets win.

#33 ·
Ooh, the website has changed again, it now says "Go as slow as possible, but as fast as neccesary"
Wow, that's so incredibly specifically vague, I almost completely kind of really don't understand it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.