Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 8 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 197 Old 11-17-2010, 09:18 PM
idiot magnet
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Noblesville, IN & Mackinaw City, MI
Posts: 704
Same thing happened to my friends Rubicon. This is what he did. Cleaned everything up then took it to a Jeep dealership after it rained and said he hit a puddle while driving. It ended up going through his car insurance and not the fault of Jeep or any warranty issue. His car insurance paid for a NEW engine without any questions and he only had to pay the deductible.
Is there another Jeep dealership in town?

idiot magnet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 04:17 AM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Checking in with a few different dealers is an excellent idea......Good point......
paul84043 is offline  
post #108 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 AM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
Same thing happened to my friends Rubicon. This is what he did. Cleaned everything up then took it to a Jeep dealership after it rained and said he hit a puddle while driving. It ended up going through his car insurance and not the fault of Jeep or any warranty issue. His car insurance paid for a NEW engine without any questions and he only had to pay the deductible.
Is there another Jeep dealership in town?
I am lost by this line of thinking. If warranty doesn't cover it, warranty doesn't cover it... Dealer doesn't make the rules. Getting a second opinion on the damage is never a bad idea. However, if you are going to file an insurance claim, you can be fairly confident that the insurance company is not going to pay to replace/rebuild an engine until they know that is what is needed. The REAL question is, do you feel confident with this dealer's ability to correctly fix your Jeep as you are going to have to live with it and this dealer once the repairs are done.
little_Jeep is offline  
post #109 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 AM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Yes, but the point is that his JK is not fine and that the dealer is refusing to warrant it.... Maybe they should watch their own promo vids...

Like I said, I'm watching this discussion on another forum as well. It does seem that I have heard more about Jeepers with hydro locked engines since the JK's have been out than I ever did in the past. The fact than a TJ or YJ owner did this or that, isn't an issue. We are talking about JK's. Why are so many JK's being hydro locked? It could be new inexperienced off-road drivers, it could be the differences in air box location and design, or it could be a combination of issues. One item discussed on the other forum is that the JK engine is not a Jeep engine. It is a mini van engine placed in a Jeep. I don't know much about the JK's. but I know that if I am trail guiding a group, I want to know more about these JK's and the hydro lock issue before doing a water crossing.
little_Jeep is offline  
post #110 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Warlord2
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 1,952
wonder if something like this would of prevented this

Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Air Filters & Intake Systems

Just need a material that will let air through but prevent splashes from soaking the intake. Might not be a bad idea to wrap something like this over the intake opening where the water would most likely splash in.

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline  
post #111 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 AM
JkFuriousd
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: harmony NC
Posts: 345
Im gonna put a cheesecloth over my intake!

2010 Rubicon 2dr
JkFuriousd is offline  
post #112 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
wonder if something like this would of prevented this

Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Air Filters & Intake Systems

Just need a material that will let air through but prevent splashes from soaking the intake. Might not be a bad idea to wrap something like this over the intake opening where the water would most likely splash in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JkFuriousd View Post
Im gonna put a cheesecloth over my intake!
Now you guys are thinking....... Here is a question for all JK owners or others who feel that JK's may have a problem with design / location of the airbox.

**IF** this appears to be an airbox design/location issue, is there a cheap / easy modification (short of snorkel) that can be done to make JK less hydro-lock prone?
little_Jeep is offline  
post #113 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 AM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
wonder if something like this would of prevented this

Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Air Filters & Intake Systems

Just need a material that will let air through but prevent splashes from soaking the intake. Might not be a bad idea to wrap something like this over the intake opening where the water would most likely splash in.
This pre filter is designed for a cold air intake system, not the OEM airbox, right? However, it might be able to be modified to fit over the opening of the stock airbox on a JK.

On a TJ, YJ, etc., nothing short of a snorkel beats the factory airbox as far as overall protection of the intake system. However, this maybe old school thinking when it comes to a JK?

Last edited by little_Jeep; 11-18-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Edit; add might be modified to use with stock airbox
little_Jeep is offline  
post #114 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 AM
CTJeepWJ
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 601
So what is the status of this jeep?!? is it at your house or the dealership? have you tried starting it since?
Did you check the fluids, airbox, anything?!

I bet the electronics dried out and it will start.

-Ed

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline  
post #115 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 AM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post

--snip--

I bet the electronics dried out and it will start.
Even if it does start, it doesn't mean it hasn't received a death blow.
little_Jeep is offline  
post #116 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 AM
CTJeepWJ
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Even if it does start, it doesn't mean it hasn't received a death blow.
Oh i agree... I would do my best to check everything out for signs of damage, maybe even drop the pan and see...

at the least, draining the oil will let you know if water actually got in the engine or not, right?

If the inside of the air box is dry and there is no signs of sand/mud remnants, then you have a pretty decent indication that water didn't get in through the intake.

I bet we are just going to find out that this was an electrical issue.

-Ed

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline  
post #117 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 AM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Like I said, I'm watching this discussion on another forum as well. It does seem that I have heard more about Jeepers with hydro locked engines since the JK's have been out than I ever did in the past. The fact than a TJ or YJ owner did this or that, isn't an issue. We are talking about JK's. Why are so many JK's being hydro locked? It could be new inexperienced off-road drivers, it could be the differences in air box location and design, or it could be a combination of issues. One item discussed on the other forum is that the JK engine is not a Jeep engine. It is a mini van engine placed in a Jeep. I don't know much about the JK's. but I know that if I am trail guiding a group, I want to know more about these JK's and the hydro lock issue before doing a water crossing.
Gotcha, didn't realize that JK's were running different engines....
The air intake does seem to be in an iffy spot, seems to me that if water were to be forced up against the hood, it would actually channel it right to the air intake....
paul84043 is offline  
post #118 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 AM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
This pre filter is designed for a cold air intake system, not the OEM airbox, right? However, it might be able to be modified to fit over the opening of the stock airbox on a JK.

On a TJ, YJ, etc., nothing short of a snorkel beats the factory airbox as far as overall protection of the intake system. However, this maybe old school thinking when it comes to a JK?
I think the snorkel is really the best solution here, even the CAI sleeve doesn't really solve the problem if it's swamped. It might keep you from destroying your engine though...i"m leaning towards a snorkel, because I think they look cool!!!
paul84043 is offline  
post #119 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I am lost by this line of thinking. If warranty doesn't cover it, warranty doesn't cover it... Dealer doesn't make the rules. .
True....................

Right out of the warranty manual for your JK.

Quote:
3.2 Environmental Factors Not Covered


Your warranties donít cover damage caused by
environmental factors such as airborne fallout, bird
droppings, insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt,
ocean spray, acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your
warranties cover damage caused by hailstorms,
windstorms, tornadoes, sandstorms, lightning, floods,
and earthquakes.
Clearly stated.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #120 of 197 Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
True....................

Right out of the warranty manual for your JK.



Clearly stated.
Not really in this case....the dealer does make the rules to a large extent. Jeep does not have a hard fast pass/fail criteria for warranty repairs, just like they don't for mods causing issues. In reality, the dealer can pretty much warranty anything they want. It just depends on how they feel about you, the day, if they argued with the g/f that morning, the phase of the moon etc....
paul84043 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
If you hydrolocked your engine, I have some questions. Vin JK Wrangler Technical Forum 48 09-05-2010 07:16 PM
Engine Skid Plates? Fred007 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 08-27-2008 10:29 AM
hydrolocked engine... Baller_63 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 16 04-12-2008 03:40 PM
Engine and TC plates jeeperslax TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 08-08-2005 02:56 PM
Hydrolocked....new engine time raZe YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 09-23-2004 10:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome