Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #106
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened to my friends Rubicon. This is what he did. Cleaned everything up then took it to a Jeep dealership after it rained and said he hit a puddle while driving. It ended up going through his car insurance and not the fault of Jeep or any warranty issue. His car insurance paid for a NEW engine without any questions and he only had to pay the deductible.
Is there another Jeep dealership in town?

idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #107
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Checking in with a few different dealers is an excellent idea......Good point......
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #108
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
Same thing happened to my friends Rubicon. This is what he did. Cleaned everything up then took it to a Jeep dealership after it rained and said he hit a puddle while driving. It ended up going through his car insurance and not the fault of Jeep or any warranty issue. His car insurance paid for a NEW engine without any questions and he only had to pay the deductible.
Is there another Jeep dealership in town?
I am lost by this line of thinking. If warranty doesn't cover it, warranty doesn't cover it... Dealer doesn't make the rules. Getting a second opinion on the damage is never a bad idea. However, if you are going to file an insurance claim, you can be fairly confident that the insurance company is not going to pay to replace/rebuild an engine until they know that is what is needed. The REAL question is, do you feel confident with this dealer's ability to correctly fix your Jeep as you are going to have to live with it and this dealer once the repairs are done.
little_Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #109
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Yes, but the point is that his JK is not fine and that the dealer is refusing to warrant it.... Maybe they should watch their own promo vids...

Like I said, I'm watching this discussion on another forum as well. It does seem that I have heard more about Jeepers with hydro locked engines since the JK's have been out than I ever did in the past. The fact than a TJ or YJ owner did this or that, isn't an issue. We are talking about JK's. Why are so many JK's being hydro locked? It could be new inexperienced off-road drivers, it could be the differences in air box location and design, or it could be a combination of issues. One item discussed on the other forum is that the JK engine is not a Jeep engine. It is a mini van engine placed in a Jeep. I don't know much about the JK's. but I know that if I am trail guiding a group, I want to know more about these JK's and the hydro lock issue before doing a water crossing.
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #110
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

wonder if something like this would of prevented this

Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Air Filters & Intake Systems

Just need a material that will let air through but prevent splashes from soaking the intake. Might not be a bad idea to wrap something like this over the intake opening where the water would most likely splash in.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #111
JkFuriousd
2010 JK Wrangler 

Im gonna put a cheesecloth over my intake!
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #112
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post

Just need a material that will let air through but prevent splashes from soaking the intake. Might not be a bad idea to wrap something like this over the intake opening where the water would most likely splash in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JkFuriousd View Post
Im gonna put a cheesecloth over my intake!
Now you guys are thinking....... Here is a question for all JK owners or others who feel that JK's may have a problem with design / location of the airbox.

**IF** this appears to be an airbox design/location issue, is there a cheap / easy modification (short of snorkel) that can be done to make JK less hydro-lock prone?
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #113
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post

This pre filter is designed for a cold air intake system, not the OEM airbox, right? However, it might be able to be modified to fit over the opening of the stock airbox on a JK.

On a TJ, YJ, etc., nothing short of a snorkel beats the factory airbox as far as overall protection of the intake system. However, this maybe old school thinking when it comes to a JK?

Last edited by little_Jeep; 11-18-2010 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Edit; add might be modified to use with stock airbox
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #114
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

So what is the status of this jeep?!? is it at your house or the dealership? have you tried starting it since?
Did you check the fluids, airbox, anything?!

I bet the electronics dried out and it will start.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #115
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post

--snip--

I bet the electronics dried out and it will start.
Even if it does start, it doesn't mean it hasn't received a death blow.
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #116
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Even if it does start, it doesn't mean it hasn't received a death blow.
Oh i agree... I would do my best to check everything out for signs of damage, maybe even drop the pan and see...

at the least, draining the oil will let you know if water actually got in the engine or not, right?

If the inside of the air box is dry and there is no signs of sand/mud remnants, then you have a pretty decent indication that water didn't get in through the intake.

I bet we are just going to find out that this was an electrical issue.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #117
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Like I said, I'm watching this discussion on another forum as well. It does seem that I have heard more about Jeepers with hydro locked engines since the JK's have been out than I ever did in the past. The fact than a TJ or YJ owner did this or that, isn't an issue. We are talking about JK's. Why are so many JK's being hydro locked? It could be new inexperienced off-road drivers, it could be the differences in air box location and design, or it could be a combination of issues. One item discussed on the other forum is that the JK engine is not a Jeep engine. It is a mini van engine placed in a Jeep. I don't know much about the JK's. but I know that if I am trail guiding a group, I want to know more about these JK's and the hydro lock issue before doing a water crossing.
Gotcha, didn't realize that JK's were running different engines....
The air intake does seem to be in an iffy spot, seems to me that if water were to be forced up against the hood, it would actually channel it right to the air intake....
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #118
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
This pre filter is designed for a cold air intake system, not the OEM airbox, right? However, it might be able to be modified to fit over the opening of the stock airbox on a JK.

On a TJ, YJ, etc., nothing short of a snorkel beats the factory airbox as far as overall protection of the intake system. However, this maybe old school thinking when it comes to a JK?
I think the snorkel is really the best solution here, even the CAI sleeve doesn't really solve the problem if it's swamped. It might keep you from destroying your engine though...i"m leaning towards a snorkel, because I think they look cool!!!
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #119
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I am lost by this line of thinking. If warranty doesn't cover it, warranty doesn't cover it... Dealer doesn't make the rules. .
True....................

Right out of the warranty manual for your JK.

Quote:
3.2 Environmental Factors Not Covered

Your warranties donít cover damage caused by
environmental factors such as airborne fallout, bird
droppings, insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt,
ocean spray, acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your
warranties cover damage caused by hailstorms,
windstorms, tornadoes, sandstorms, lightning, floods,
and earthquakes.
Clearly stated.
Unread 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #120
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
True....................

Right out of the warranty manual for your JK.

Clearly stated.
Not really in this case....the dealer does make the rules to a large extent. Jeep does not have a hard fast pass/fail criteria for warranty repairs, just like they don't for mods causing issues. In reality, the dealer can pretty much warranty anything they want. It just depends on how they feel about you, the day, if they argued with the g/f that morning, the phase of the moon etc....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.