Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 11-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #91
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
ok, I watched the video a couple of times. It looks like the first puddle was the culprit (IMO). It looks like you hit it way too fast. So have you or the dealership had a chance to look into it? I would be really surprised if you actually did a large amount of internal damage. Like others mentioned, if it truly was "hydroLOCKED", you wouldn't even be able to try to crank it over. It is possible that you have a wet air filter that is choking out the air flow or that you got some sort of electrical component wet that shorted out. Possibly in or around your coil pack.

So have you heard anything from the dealership? Did you open up your air box to take a look inside?
Without knowing what damage was found, this is hard to say. It only takes a small amount of water to cause a rod, valve, or other internal part to bend. It doesn't need to break to cause the death of an engine. A little water can cause the piston to get ****eyed in the cylinder, causing a scar in the wall. Once this happens, the death of the engine is just a matter of time. Of course, the OP would be happy if his engine isn't damaged.....

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #92
1sportsdoc
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
No,that would be a waste of time and money as I could fix it myself for far less then my $250 deductable.
Way to side step the point!

To the OP ... good luck, friend.
Unread 11-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #93
BLK2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would have never shown that video to the service manager at a Jeep dealership.
BLK2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #94
BaBa_Booey
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK2000TJ View Post
I would have never shown that video to the service manager at a Jeep dealership.
+1000

You hit that puddle waaaaaay to fast.

Sorry bout your luck bro.

But on the bright side...you did successfully test the Jeeps limits!
BaBa_Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #95
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We were discussing this issue on another forum and wonder if the airbox placement on the JK is just enough forward from where the airbox is on a TJ that it causes a problem. Now keep in mind, none of us own a JK, so we are using a photo of the JK engine compartment for the basis of our discussion. Where is the opening in the JK airbox?
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #96
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Where is the opening in the JK airbox?
pretty much right under the passenger hood latch. the stock opening is shaped to match the contour of the hood in that area.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #97
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
pretty much right under the passenger hood latch. the stock opening is shaped to match the contour of the hood in that area.
So in your opinion, does its placement make getting water inside the airbox easier, harder, or about the same as a TJ? Is it possible that water is hitting fan, fan is tossing water onto bottomside of hood then running in the airbox, or do you feel problems are generally caused by other factors?
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #98
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Time for a hemi swap.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #99
Rob_P
2011 JK Wrangler 

Reading this thread I'm thinking I was lucky on the day that my avatar pic was taken!
(and by the way that was at the Jeep Owners playground on the rocks and road tour)
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #100
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was just on Jeep's website again, the promo video that they play when you click on the "capability" link shows several Jeeps throwing the exact same amount of water, if not more, over, and over again...
Might be a little ammo if someone were to screencap it, or link to it.

Not sure how long this link it going to be good, but here it is..

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/trail_rated/

Please explain to me what part of that is as slow as possible, but as fast as neccesary? I call BS.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #101
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i just watched the vid, idk that seems like the jk should be fine, i got a 4cyl yj and i blast through water up to my bumper at easily twice that fast and have never had issues
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #102
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes, but the point is that his JK is not fine and that the dealer is refusing to warrant it.... Maybe they should watch their own promo vids...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #103
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can not believe that your jeep died doing that. It didn't even look close to being too fast to me. I've seen way worse entries, in way deeper water. I agree, the jeep commercials show a bigger splash. Good luck getting it fixed.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #104
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

I was thinking I was not going too fast either. I am dealing with the insurance agency right now and discussing a Hemi swap. I'm also talking to a local shop that can do it to get a price quote. AEV is wanting 23K after I ship it to them. I can't quite justify that. I am going to go to the dealer once more with some of the videos they show and present my case one more time. After that I guess the only thing I can do, besides contact the main offices is to help out other people to avoid this exact thing from happening to them.
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #105
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post
I was thinking I was not going too fast either. I am dealing with the insurance agency right now and discussing a Hemi swap. I'm also talking to a local shop that can do it to get a price quote. AEV is wanting 23K after I ship it to them. I can't quite justify that. I am going to go to the dealer once more with some of the videos they show and present my case one more time. After that I guess the only thing I can do, besides contact the main offices is to help out other people to avoid this exact thing from happening to them.
You could try another dealer too. A second opinion on what's wrong with it is not a bad idea.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.