Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 11-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #76
TJandMe
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Wow, that's so incredibly specifically vague, I almost completely kind of really don't understand it.
Thanks for the new signature!!

TJandMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #77
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm. Man, this just really sucks! I just can't beleive that this HYDROLOCKED it though!? I, like many others have said, have done the same and more in my TJ and JK. Are you sure that it's destroyed? It's not something simple as a clogged air filter, or wet ignition? I have seen both of those stop a vehicle the same way and prevent it from starting untill the filter is changed or the electrics have a chance to dry out. Where did you find out that the engine is destroyed? Is the block cracked? Thrown rod? Horrible self eating noises when trying to crank? Does it even try to crank now? I just can't fathom this, at all. I would hazzard that on a run like that, repeatedly, that it is something electric. Have you had the vehicle the whole time, or have not seen it since it happened?

I guess I am not trying to QUESTION you, as much as I am asking questions out of my own disbelief! Sorry to see and hear that man.

On a side note, and as a good example (unfortunately), if you are ever in a situation like this, and your engine dies. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESTART IT!!!! Safety situations not withstanding of course. You are better off being towed out and to start diagnosing the issue first. It could be as simple as pulling the plugs, blowing out water, re-installing and fluid changes. Sorry to see this though.
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #78
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

You can definitely tell by the speed that you'd be kicking up a ****load of water into the engine bay.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #79
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown303 View Post
You can definitely tell by the speed that you'd be kicking up a ****load of water into the engine bay.
True, I agree. The thing is, you would have to have one hell of a lucky splashe to hit the small little splash preventer snorkel on the airbox to fill it. Or, it would accumulate over time as mentioned already. But, I can't see it making its way past the filter (if cotton). I have seen a stock cotton filter stop water from passing it (and air when wet) so many time now, I guess I am just convinced of it's ability to protect the engine from water damage. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fool. I know that these things aren't invinceable, or impenetrable. I just can't beleive a run like THAT one, would kill it. I KNOW that it can, I just can't beleive it. You know?
Unread 11-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #80
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Oh I hear you. If you saw the puddle I went through that blew my engine up you'd cry. Less water than his video and so much slower it's depressing.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #81
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJandMe View Post
Thanks for the new signature!!
No problem, you can email me a quarter.... :-)
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:53 AM   #82
JkFuriousd
2010 JK Wrangler 

I know everything is bigger in Texas but in North Carolina thats not considered a puddle!

I have been thru crossings that deep before dozens of times with no problem. I guess it's just one of those things! Sorry your engine is toast
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #83
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

So I see on your profile under future mods you have snorkel
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #84
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

It is a weird thing. It really depends on how one hits a puddle. Some folks blast through puddles a foot deep with no problem but other get locked from a little thing.
The AEV Snorkel is on my to-do list.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #85
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

I to, would like a snorkel. But I also want to retain the stock airbox and filter. I always regretted the day that I stepped from stock to a snorkel on my TJ. I went with Volant because they included an enclosed airbox of their own, I just was never satisfied with the cone filter. I also hated how the darn thing always seemed to be in the way. If I wanted a light bar or a rack, forget it, wouldn't fit anymore. I am trying to come up with my own solution to this problem, but it's tough.
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #86
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

@washi, that is why I am going with the AEV. It mates to the stock air box. There are several high flow air filters that are direct fit for the OEM filter as well. so you can gain air flow without replacing the stock air box.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #87
JkFuriousd
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
I to, would like a snorkel. But I also want to retain the stock airbox and filter. I always regretted the day that I stepped from stock to a snorkel on my TJ. I went with Volant because they included an enclosed airbox of their own, I just was never satisfied with the cone filter. I also hated how the darn thing always seemed to be in the way. If I wanted a light bar or a rack, forget it, wouldn't fit anymore. I am trying to come up with my own solution to this problem, but it's tough.
i have the same problem. I have a Kargomaster Congo Rack and run a snorkel would require some presidential modifications.
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #88
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That video is of a JEEP fail.
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #89
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

ok, I watched the video a couple of times. It looks like the first puddle was the culprit (IMO). It looks like you hit it way too fast. So have you or the dealership had a chance to look into it? I would be really surprised if you actually did a large amount of internal damage. Like others mentioned, if it truly was "hydroLOCKED", you wouldn't even be able to try to crank it over. It is possible that you have a wet air filter that is choking out the air flow or that you got some sort of electrical component wet that shorted out. Possibly in or around your coil pack.

So have you heard anything from the dealership? Did you open up your air box to take a look inside?

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #90
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I don't think it's hydrolocked. I think the electrical and electronics got wet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.