Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #61
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZORBILL View Post

If it wasn't an accident than what was it? You could call it stupid I guess but like I said I'm sure it wasn't his intent to trash his engine. Most accidents on the roads are caused when someone does something "stupid". In this case the act of stupidity only damaged his vehicle.
Lack of common sense which is "stupid" in simple terms.

Unread 11-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #62
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

For those that think I'm hiding something or misrepresenting the facts, I am in the process of posting the video to youtube and a link will be provided. You will clearly see that I avoid romping through an area with large ruts, I am clearly not slamming on the gas and that the water really was not that deep. After you see the video I will be happy to hear the few that are up in arms that a Wrangler should not be used for this purpose tell me they would not attempt the same thing. At that point they should delete their forum accounts because they have soccer-mom-mobiles...not Jeeps. No offense meant to anyone expect those that are too afraid to have a little fun in their toy. If you want a vehicle get a hybrid...I have a toy that also gets me to work.
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #63
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

For all to see....Drum Roll...here's the video...

YouTube - P1030034
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #64
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Way to fast on entry and again into the deeper portion. When the nose is pointed down is not when you want to be going fast. Once youre in deep though, you can gas it a bit to make it through.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #65
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've gone WAY deeper and 2x as fast... That doesn't look like it was more than 5"-10" deep. It also doesn't appear that much if any water at all was passing over the right side of the hood.

I am starting to wonder if you filled the air-box up with water in your previous 4-5 passes and that run just tipped it over the edge.

When I was washing the mud out of my air box last month I realized that once it fills up with water it takes a good minute+ to drain out.

I can see how a few good passes could fill up your air box to the top with water then you are only one good bounce away from gulping a 1/2 gallon of water down the intake. At least thats my best guess as to what happened.
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #66
TJeeper

When the manual says don't go in water above the hubs, that means no splashing. What happened is the water splashed on the inside of the hood, moved to the intake and filled up the airbox, saturating the filter, water in the intake. I've been through water five times as deep as that crossing in my TJ. The trick is not to splash it into the intake.
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #67
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

So, this one time in band camp, I went about 35 MPH through 1.5 ft of raging flood water. It was so deep and fast (that's what she said) that it actually broke the front clip on my fender, basically ripping the front of the fender off. I'm really surprised this engine ingested water.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #68
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

wow, I cant believe you actually swamped the intake with that little run.....Looks like there is hardly any water even splashing near the intake. I have also been through water much faster then that and deeper.

One question... I heard you try to start the jeep afterwards and it sounded like the starter was still able to spin the crank.....With a hydrolocked engine I would assume that the engine would lock up completely...right?
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #69
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
With a hydrolocked engine I would assume that the engine would lock up completely...right?
I was thinking the same thing but haven't googled "hydro-locked" yet to see what all it entails.
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #70
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
So, this one time in band camp, I went about 35 MPH through 1.5 ft of raging flood water. It was so deep and fast (that's what she said) that it actually broke the front clip on my fender, basically ripping the front of the fender off. I'm really surprised this engine ingested water.
Yup, according to this, the engine should be locked up:

Hydrolock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #71
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hydro-Locked is when an engine ingests enough liquid that it seizes up because it is impossible to compress a liquid.

However, if an engine ingests just enough water to damage it (Bent connecting rod) but not completely lock it up... say 2-3 oz in any one cylinder it can do massive damage as it causes an over pressure. Engines are typically 9.5 /1 but with a few ounces of liquid the compression is now 40/1 - 100/1 or higher. So although it didn't Hydro-Lock it will bend connecting rods, damage valves and Head Gaskets.

If you think about how many ounces of water it takes to damage an engine... its not much.

That said it still didn't look like he took much water on that pass & I still think that this was the result of multiple passes.
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #72
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Return View Post
However, if an engine ingests just enough water to damage it (Bent connecting rod) but not completely lock it up... say 2-3 oz in any one cylinder it can do massive damage as it causes an over pressure.
If the engine bent a connecting rod, wouldn't the engine be completely locked up? That takes A LOT of force to bend one of them there things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Return View Post
Engines are typically 9.5 /1.
The Jeep is 9.6:1 from what I've read. I'm not trying to argue or say "you're wrong". Just FYI, I just happen to read it the other day...
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #73
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

When mine hydrolocked there was a large hole in the side of the engine block. From the hydro locking a cylinder and causing the rod to rape and molest the block.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #74
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
If the engine bent a connecting rod, wouldn't the engine be completely locked up? That takes A LOT of force to bend one of them there things.

The Jeep is 9.6:1 from what I've read. I'm not trying to argue or say "you're wrong". Just FYI, I just happen to read it the other day...
9.5:1 was just a generalization and a good guess, I guess. No offense taken.

If you bend 1 rod or pin even .025 - .050" it will either knock like hell or just not run But it won't be necessarily be 100% locked up. Its still trashed for sure.

I used to drive and work on a Turbo Charged Baja's, Sand Rails, etc... I've seen just about every possible way to hand grenade a motor.
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #75
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
wow, I cant believe you actually swamped the intake with that little run.....Looks like there is hardly any water even splashing near the intake. I have also been through water much faster then that and deeper.

One question... I heard you try to start the jeep afterwards and it sounded like the starter was still able to spin the crank.....With a hydrolocked engine I would assume that the engine would lock up completely...right?
It's actually very clear that pass was enough to hydrolock the engine. Do you see the constant stream or roostertail of water to the passenger side of the Jeep going as high as the roofline?

Does water only go to the outside of the fenderwell when a tire hits it at speed? No, it spreads in an equal V pattern. Now look again closely at how much water is being thrown outside of the fenderwell. It's pretty safe to assume the same amount of water is being thrown to the inside of the tires directly on the engine, intake, and hood. The hood serves as a good water deflector to redirect the water directly into the air intake horn.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.