Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #31
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

"allibaster; Slow and steady just like in this Jeep commercial?"

I know, I know....like I always tell my kids....do as I say, and not as I do.

The commercials are pretty, but the reality is that as long as they throw the "real story" somewhere in the literature, and then tell you that you have to read it....they're 90% covered...

paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #32
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The OP talks about a puddle. Define puddle. How deep and how big?

Try removing the spark plugs and cranking it.
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #33
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ooh, the website has changed again, it now says "Go as slow as possible, but as fast as neccesary"
Wow, that's so incredibly specifically vague, I almost completely kind of really don't understand it.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #34
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

commercials...

every time you spray axe deoderant, do those waves of bra-less women in white tshirts pile into your jeep with you while you take aim at puddles for the wet tshirt contest?

no. (unfortunately not in my world)

and "slow as possible, as fast as necessary."

that's been an adage for a long time. i've been hearing it for years, from quads back in the x90s to mt biking in the x00s and now jeeping in the x10s.

not that its easy for me to abide by, it is prudent advice.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #35
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
All you really need to know is that they advertise water fording capability. Some lawyers can sue them for false advertising. I have seen it happen with a few land rovers and LR upgraded clients to the tricked out model version free of charge. Go to court and they loose.

Jeep.com:
"Hit that riverbed with confidence. Trail Rated® Jeep® 4x4s feature additional electrical and body sealing, along with a high air intake location for optimum water fording capability. Note: Do not attempt water fording unless depth is known to be less than 19 inches."
Your speed has alot to do with fording water,it's common sense which seems like some of you do not have alot of.Sure those big splashes look cool but is it really worth paying for a new engine?

I've been in water to almost my hood line,nice and steady speed of about 5 mph kept the water away from my air inlet.Just got to use common sense.

If you want to play in the water time to actually make a deep water fording kit,expect upwards of $5000+.When properly done you can ford deep water with ease,and if you want to learn how to properly ford deep water join the Marines and become a mechanic or driver and you will get tought the proper way to ford 60" of water in HMMWV,it's kinda fun but you will get wet.
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #36
JkFuriousd
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Ooh, the website has changed again, it now says "Go as slow as possible, but as fast as neccesary"
Wow, that's so incredibly specifically vague, I almost completely kind of really don't understand it.
Sounds like they have gotten their new bosses (Uncle Sam) to help out with warranty speak!
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #37
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Guess I'm not a real Jeeper.

The idea of taking a 30k vehicle (especially if it's your transportation) and trying to tear the damned thing up is...

Well, you get the idea.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #38
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Update

To answer a few questions the water was probably not deeper than 19 inches, I didn't stop to measure after it happened. A 2wd F-150 went through just before I did and had no issues. As far as the dealer, they are sticking with the "It's not our fault" line. Yes, I did take a trail rated vehicle through a reasonable puddle at a reasonable speed, it is my fault for using an off-road vehicle...forgive me...off-road! I went all the way to the general manager showing the video and even they said it should be covered. But water in the engine, no matter what...is apparently a user error. I called my insurance company and without a blink they said they'd take care of me. They asked me to hold onto the video because it seems like something they would go after Jeep for and get me my deductible back. It's only a $100 out of pocket engine so I can't complain too much. Thank god for insurance. JK owners...buy a snorkel...even for splashes. That is going to be my first purchase as soon as I get her back. Any ideas on the "best" snorkel kit?
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #39
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post

The idea of taking a 30k vehicle (especially if it's your transportation) and trying to tear the damned thing up is...
Then why buy a Wrangler...go for comfort with the Cherokee or even dare I say...an H3. That's what it's made for you may as well test the limits.
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #40
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Show me another convertible 4x4 and I will consider it. Seriously folks, ther eare other reasons to own a Jeep than flogging it. If there weren't Jeep would have been out of buisness long ago.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #41
JkFuriousd
2010 JK Wrangler 

I understand that this is an off road vehicle but expecting Chrysler to fix this is like buying a Gallardo and taking it to road Atlanta and blowing the engine expecting Lamborghini to repair it!
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #42
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, Jeep (and other manufacturers) cover their a$s in these commercials by saying "Professional Driver on a closed course. Do not attempt"

I really think that something is fishy here. Either it wasn't "only 19" or you were going way faster than you think/said. The owners manual of my 04 Grand Cherokee says to not go through water higher than 24" which is about the top of the front bumper. I vaguely remember the Wrangler manual says something about 30" (but I might be mistaken)

The way the airbox snorkel is set up on the TJ it doesn't really allow water to simply splash in there unless there is a TON of water. I don't know exactly how the JK is set up but I am sure they have improved the design.

I am guessing that the OP is downplaying the stats in order to try to get the dealership/insurance company to cover the repairs. Or he modified the airbox or put on a cold air intake or something.

Who knows...I imagine the insurance company will pick up the tab since he probably had a loan on it and they force you to take collision on a vehicle with a loan. Expect the rates to go through the roof, you might just want to try to repair it on your own time/money.

oh and post the vin number here so that no one on this thread buys that thing down the road. haha

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #43
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post
To answer a few questions the water was probably not deeper than 19 inches, I didn't stop to measure after it happened. A 2wd F-150 went through just before I did and had no issues. As far as the dealer, they are sticking with the "It's not our fault" line. Yes, I did take a trail rated vehicle through a reasonable puddle at a reasonable speed, it is my fault for using an off-road vehicle...forgive me...off-road! I went all the way to the general manager showing the video and even they said it should be covered. But water in the engine, no matter what...is apparently a user error. I called my insurance company and without a blink they said they'd take care of me. They asked me to hold onto the video because it seems like something they would go after Jeep for and get me my deductible back. It's only a $100 out of pocket engine so I can't complain too much. Thank god for insurance. JK owners...buy a snorkel...even for splashes. That is going to be my first purchase as soon as I get her back. Any ideas on the "best" snorkel kit?
The best at the moment is the AEV (IMHO), although you have to cut your hood. If you want to wait, Rugged Ridge is coming out with a snorkel that replaces one of the side pieces above your hood and under your windshield.

What's the damage to your premium?
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #44
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post
I have heard stories of a vacuum line coming undone and then when Jeep goes into water, vacuum line just sucks as much water as possible into the engine. However, in real World, I would say most damage is caused by people who do not understand the word "Hydro-loc"....Water crossing are high risk and if you don't know what you should do, stay out of water.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #45
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
"allibaster; Slow and steady just like in this Jeep commercial?"

I know, I know....like I always tell my kids....do as I say, and not as I do.

The commercials are pretty, but the reality is that as long as they throw the "real story" somewhere in the literature, and then tell you that you have to read it....they're 90% covered...
Unless of coarse, you happen to be selling, say, cigarettes......
Bottom line, lawyers can be an asset or a liability, depending on how deep your pockets are. It's a game played in a court room. The deepest pockets win.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.