Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 11-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #181
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Here's an example of how deep I've been. It was mud, mind you, not water. And my goal was to keep the "wave" of mud out in front of me. I did not race through it. More of a fast crawl, if that makes sense...

And to prove I didn't lock the engine, I've also attached a picture taken about an hour later, with the mud still there.

By the way, I'm not doing it again - took way too long to clean it up.

100b2742.jpg   100_2826.jpg  
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #182
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan View Post
Here's an example of how deep I've been. It was mud, mind you, not water. And my goal was to keep the "wave" of mud out in front of me. I did not race through it. More of a fast crawl, if that makes sense...

And to prove I didn't lock the engine, I've also attached a picture taken about an hour later, with the mud still there.

By the way, I'm not doing it again - took way too long to clean it up.
Notice that your mud line is LOWER than the bottom of your headlights. This is IMPORTANT as the airbox sits just slightly higher than this point.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #183
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Plus if you look at the mud line on the rocker you can tell how deep the mud/water really was...probably about 20 inches.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #184
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
I saw this on Jalopnik, and I thought that water looked familiar. I used to live in San Angelo, and used to play out at Twin Buttes all the time.

Should have bought a Bronco.

Looks like the water wasn't as deep when you went through it. Either way, there is no reason your "offroad" Jeep should hydrolock after going through that. That is sad.

Same path:
It's hard to tell, but none of those videos show any of those vehicles plowing through like he did. Sure, they went fast through shallow water. The nose of the Jeep went down, then he continued to plow through the water which was clearly going all over the place because it was deep!

I wish I had a video of my friends lifted Bronco getting stuck, me pulling them out, then me driving through it stock with no issues

You can have your ugly bronco with it's wanna-be 4x4
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #185
0sevenjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Haha Dave you're everywhere. Corral, rd now here. I can't get away.

I drove through there in my lightning when I lived in San Angelo.
0sevenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #186
goofball
2013 JK Wrangler 

JKtester, maybe I missed it but how many times did you go through that before it died?
comparing your video to the advertisement it should be covered.

good luck.

goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #187
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Check out this video, water up and over the hood of a 4dr JK
YouTube - Deep water pit with JK Rubicon Wrangler

So what is the update with your rig?

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #188
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
Check out this video, water up and over the hood of a 4dr JK

---snip---
That is one lucky, stupid, but still lucky JK owner.
Unread 01-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #189
PVRubicon
2007 JK Wrangler 

So how did this end? What was the 'official' scoop from the Dealer?
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #190
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRubicon View Post
So how did this end? What was the 'official' scoop from the Dealer?
I think the "Official scoop" is, engine was damaged from water injestation and JKtester's automobile insurance (not Jeep Warranty) paid to repair (rebuild the engine) as a flood loss and no one is concerned about exactly how the water got into the engine.
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #191
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sorry for the delay everyone. I ended up going on Christmas vacation and was still dealing with engine issues. So here are the results of this whole thing.

Insurance replaced the whole engine for me for a small $500 fee. It took them a few weeks to finally get back to me and finish all of the repairs. As soon as I picked it up I went about 15 miles and the check engine light came on. I called the dealer and they said that it was probably a computer issue and not to worry about it. So I drove it over the weekend (I had to go out of town) and brought it back on that monday. They took a look at it and I made an appointment for the upcoming Friday. I showed up and they said they couldn't see me so I had to come back the next day. That's exactly what I did. I told them that this was my daily driver and I needed it back by the end of the day. They told me it wouldn't be a problem. So evening comes and I have no calls from them. I finally call them back and (You'll never guess) it won't be ready that day. So...since they're closed Sunday I'm out of a vehicle. The mechanic came in on Sunday to take a closer look to see what the problem was and found that the oil pump had locked up and had basically destroyed the cam shaft. So I get back in touch with my insurance to get me a rental car and tell them that they need to send the adjuster BACK out to see what the heck was going on. That week rolled by. I was told I would have it by Wednesday. Wednesday comes...guess...yeah, no car. I made a meeting with the general manager and informed him of what was going on. After he yelled at everyone for making him and the business look bad I heard from my insurance that they are ordering a whole new engine...yes...2nd new engine and less than 2k miles. So they all work really hard to get everything done after they get yelled at. I was supposed to leave on vacation on that Friday. The GM told them to have it ready by then. So while they installed the new new engine they were also supposed to install the leather that I ordered (It was supposed to come ON the Jeep). The leather installer did not get done until Monday evening. I told them that if it was not done in the morning they could keep it and I would be expecting a call from the GM. I got a call Tuesday morning telling me it was ready and the mechanic was out test driving it as we spoke. I went to pick it up only to find out that not everything from the adjuster had been filed with insurance therefore I could not take the Jeep because they had not been paid. 2 hours on the phone and 4700 out of pocket (Insurance paid me back a few days later) I turned in the rental and headed back to the Jeep. I began driving out of the parking lot and, yep, again you guessed it, the check engine light came on. I didn't even make it around the dealership parking lot and I was pulling back into the service area. After some choice words that I can't say I regret they hooked it up and told me it was going to need a new PCM that would not be available until Thursday. Again, they told me that this was a computer issue and was safe to drive. I was heading to New Mexico and figured if I could just make it there I'd take it to another dealer. I made it, took it to another dealer and they informed me the PCM was fine but the cam shaft sensor needed to be replaced and did it under warrantee.

Bottom line, one puddle, 2 engines and a hell of a lot of pain. It has been in the shop longer than it has been with me since I bought it. It's working well now and life has started to become a little more busy keeping me off the trails and my fear of water is keeping me out of the puddles.
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #192
JkFuriousd
2010 JK Wrangler 

Moral of the story kiddies: Take it easy in the water or buy a snorkel! Glad to hear everything (eventually) worked out!
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #193
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad it is all taken care of. Stay away from that dealer's service department... sounds like crappy work being done. Now it is time to enjoy the Jeep and get a snorkel
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #194
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Glad it is all taken care of. Stay away from that dealer's service department... sounds like crappy work being done. Now it is time to enjoy the Jeep and get a snorkel
My thoughts exactly.....
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #195
Sunburn
2007 JK Wrangler 

it was probably never really hydro-locked in the first place.

When they replaced the short or long block, they usually pull off the old accessories like the oil pump and reinstall them.....

Case Solved.
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.