Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 12 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 197 Old 11-25-2010, 06:42 PM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
It makes a difference because if you had water sucked into the engine through the top of the engine, then it would actually lock the pistons up and keep them from moving. i.e. your engine wouldn't be able to try to crank hence the 'lock' portion of hydrolock. It literally locks up the engine.

Dealerships and insurance companies can/will generalized damage in order get paperwork processed.
Engine would only be locked until a hole was punched in a piston, or a connecting rod broke, or the water had time to drain into the pan, etc..

Generalize? Something caused internal damage to the engine. The dealer and the insurance company have the Jeep, they have seen the broken parts, and I would assume they know the signs of water ingestion to look for. JKtester isn't much help in providing information because he is not mechanically inclined and as far as I know, has not personally seen the damaged parts or the signs that led to the conclusion of water ingestion.

little_Jeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #167 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 AM
ultimo
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Asia
Posts: 660
I have a video that I hope to post up this weekend on the WJ splashing through water

Build Thread-- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/ultimos-build-1477712/
ultimo is offline  
post #168 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
JKTester
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lompoc
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
JKTester, when you tried to restart it, did the starter activate and try to turn over the engine?
Yes, the starter would activate but nothing would engage.
JKTester is offline  
post #169 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
JKTester
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lompoc
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Engine would only be locked until a hole was punched in a piston, or a connecting rod broke, or the water had time to drain into the pan, etc..

Generalize? Something caused internal damage to the engine. The dealer and the insurance company have the Jeep, they have seen the broken parts, and I would assume they know the signs of water ingestion to look for. JKtester isn't much help in providing information because he is not mechanically inclined and as far as I know, has not personally seen the damaged parts or the signs that led to the conclusion of water ingestion.
You are right in every case, I am not the most mechanically inclined. I do, however, know exactly how an engine works and understand the inner workings well. When I say I'm not mechanically inclined I could not jump under the hood and tell you what was broken unless it was actually something broken, now doing engine work myself...if I had the tools and the time, it wouldn't be a problem. I have not seen the damaged parts but will be bringing them home with me when I pick her up. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. Once I get them home I will be able to tell a little more about what happened. I did not get a clear understanding from my service advisor as he was not the mechanic and he was basically reporting to me what the mechanic reported to him. I will gladly post a list of everything that they replaced as well as pictures of the damaged parts.
JKTester is offline  
post #170 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 05:35 AM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,314
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but this is a story on Jalopnik. They have the video posted, and after watching that, there is no reason why they shouldn't warranty it: Why Did A New Jeep Wrangler Die In Ten Inches Of Water?

Edit: I should also mention that I have splashed through puddles that deep with the water coming up 20 feet above my Jeep. Yes, that was in 2 different TJs, but honestly, it shouldn't matter. I hit them so hard that the Jeep threw us into the seatbelts when we hit the water.

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JFI Member #7:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline  
post #171 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 09:27 AM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post
You are right in every case, I am not the most mechanically inclined. I do, however, know exactly how an engine works and understand the inner workings well. When I say I'm not mechanically inclined I could not jump under the hood and tell you what was broken unless it was actually something broken, now doing engine work myself...if I had the tools and the time, it wouldn't be a problem. I have not seen the damaged parts but will be bringing them home with me when I pick her up. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. Once I get them home I will be able to tell a little more about what happened. I did not get a clear understanding from my service advisor as he was not the mechanic and he was basically reporting to me what the mechanic reported to him. I will gladly post a list of everything that they replaced as well as pictures of the damaged parts.
I am sorry that I said you were not mechanically inclined. I hope that I didn't offend you. That was not my desire. Photos of the damaged parts and possibly a copy of the work order and parts that were replaced would provide a lot of information. I just find it odd that people are still debating your engine problems being nothing more than a wet electrical component. We are so far past this point it isn't funny.

Posting stories about I did this or that in my CJ, YJ,TJ,XJ, or whatever non JK there is, isn't a help. It seems that JK's have a real issue with water ingestion. Is it cause by inexperienced driver?, or is there an issue with the design or location of the airbox?, or maybe a vacuum line disconnected that sucks water into the engine? Maybe it's a combination of these issues. Yet, there are Jeepers who have been in far deeper water than JKtester did and they didn't have any water ingestion in their engine. Whatever is causing the issue, a snorkel appears to be a wise investment if you own a JK.
little_Jeep is offline  
post #172 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Washi
Rockbiter
 
Washi's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Derby
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
...or maybe a vacuum line disconnected that sucks water into the engine?
...Whatever is causing the issue, a snorkel appears to be a wise investment if you own a JK.
Unless it's a vacuum line, in which case we are all still screwed.
Washi is offline  
post #173 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 10:50 AM
ncb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Your mom's house
Posts: 4,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
Unless it's a vacuum line, in which case we are all still screwed.
Normally an open vacuum line will give you issues such as rough idle.
ncb is offline  
post #174 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 AM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,314
If it is a vacuum line, you should be able to extend it with that clear water hose that is used fro hooking up the ice machine on refrigerators.

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JFI Member #7:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline  
post #175 of 197 Old 11-26-2010, 12:08 PM
markw8
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: akron
Posts: 16
I think this can be chalked up to it was not his luckey day. The planets were not aligned.

Mark
markw8 is offline  
post #176 of 197 Old 11-27-2010, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
JKTester
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lompoc
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I am sorry that I said you were not mechanically inclined. I hope that I didn't offend you. That was not my desire. Photos of the damaged parts and possibly a copy of the work order and parts that were replaced would provide a lot of information. I just find it odd that people are still debating your engine problems being nothing more than a wet electrical component. We are so far past this point it isn't funny.

Posting stories about I did this or that in my CJ, YJ,TJ,XJ, or whatever non JK there is, isn't a help. It seems that JK's have a real issue with water ingestion. Is it cause by inexperienced driver?, or is there an issue with the design or location of the airbox?, or maybe a vacuum line disconnected that sucks water into the engine? Maybe it's a combination of these issues. Yet, there are Jeepers who have been in far deeper water than JKtester did and they didn't have any water ingestion in their engine. Whatever is causing the issue, a snorkel appears to be a wise investment if you own a JK.
I took no offense at all. No worries. One of my initial thoughts, the .5 seconds that it went through my head, was the potential of it being an electrical issue only to see that everything electrical was still working. While we were stuck out there trying to figure it out we disconnected the battery to see if it would reset anything. It obviously didn't work. In my lack of mechanical skills and not understanding how a starter worked I wondered if possibly the engine just stalled and the started drive snapped making it not turn the engine over. No matter the case it was not anything we could fix while we were out there and I honestly thought that after seeing what I had gone through the dealership would also see that this was an unusual event. If I get nothing more out of this, hopefully my calls to Chrysler and to the management will get them to take a look at the intake to see if there are improvements to be made. Best case scenario they take care of it for me with a "Hey, sorry this happened, we'll cover it this time." But they're covering their butts. In my discussion with the Area Manager he stated that it was an insurance claim because they can't cover water damage. I stated, that this discussion would not even be taking place if I intentionally drove a Seabring into a puddle...but I took their most "capable" offroad vehicle into a puddle it should have handled. That's just my thoughts on it.

I do have to add that so far, Jill (my Jeep) has been unstoppable. I have had her going up some crazy hills and seeing exactly what her capabilities are. When it comes to hills, rocks, or even bush, she has handled it all with easy. Water...not so much.
JKTester is offline  
post #177 of 197 Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 AM
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post

--snip--

I do have to add that so far, Jill (my Jeep) has been unstoppable. I have had her going up some crazy hills and seeing exactly what her capabilities are. When it comes to hills, rocks, or even bush, she has handled it all with easy. Water...not so much.
Don't hold this against Jill..... just get her a snorkel, and make sure all the joints in airtube are water tight. Then be gentle with any future water crossings.
little_Jeep is offline  
post #178 of 197 Old 11-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Dave88LX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2
I saw this on Jalopnik, and I thought that water looked familiar. I used to live in San Angelo, and used to play out at Twin Buttes all the time.

Should have bought a Bronco.

Looks like the water wasn't as deep when you went through it. Either way, there is no reason your "offroad" Jeep should hydrolock after going through that. That is sad.

Same path:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUU7ybrX7K4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpcfkCzvJ2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt6nc2yinI0



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VpEq6HXnMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5H_SQ13i8

Last edited by Dave88LX; 11-27-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Dave88LX is offline  
post #179 of 197 Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 PM
jmccormick
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 132
you would join just to post dave hahahahaahaa

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
2013 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
jmccormick is offline  
post #180 of 197 Old 11-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Dave88LX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 2
<3 <3 <3

I was so excited when I saw it was at Twin Buttes.
Dave88LX is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
If you hydrolocked your engine, I have some questions. Vin JK Wrangler Technical Forum 48 09-05-2010 08:16 PM
Engine Skid Plates? Fred007 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 08-27-2008 11:29 AM
hydrolocked engine... Baller_63 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 16 04-12-2008 04:40 PM
Engine and TC plates jeeperslax TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 08-08-2005 03:56 PM
Hydrolocked....new engine time raZe YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 09-23-2004 11:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome