Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 11-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #166
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
It makes a difference because if you had water sucked into the engine through the top of the engine, then it would actually lock the pistons up and keep them from moving. i.e. your engine wouldn't be able to try to crank hence the 'lock' portion of hydrolock. It literally locks up the engine.

Dealerships and insurance companies can/will generalized damage in order get paperwork processed.
Engine would only be locked until a hole was punched in a piston, or a connecting rod broke, or the water had time to drain into the pan, etc..

Generalize? Something caused internal damage to the engine. The dealer and the insurance company have the Jeep, they have seen the broken parts, and I would assume they know the signs of water ingestion to look for. JKtester isn't much help in providing information because he is not mechanically inclined and as far as I know, has not personally seen the damaged parts or the signs that led to the conclusion of water ingestion.

little_Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #167
ultimo
2002 WJ 

I have a video that I hope to post up this weekend on the WJ splashing through water
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #168
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
JKTester, when you tried to restart it, did the starter activate and try to turn over the engine?
Yes, the starter would activate but nothing would engage.
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #169
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Engine would only be locked until a hole was punched in a piston, or a connecting rod broke, or the water had time to drain into the pan, etc..

Generalize? Something caused internal damage to the engine. The dealer and the insurance company have the Jeep, they have seen the broken parts, and I would assume they know the signs of water ingestion to look for. JKtester isn't much help in providing information because he is not mechanically inclined and as far as I know, has not personally seen the damaged parts or the signs that led to the conclusion of water ingestion.
You are right in every case, I am not the most mechanically inclined. I do, however, know exactly how an engine works and understand the inner workings well. When I say I'm not mechanically inclined I could not jump under the hood and tell you what was broken unless it was actually something broken, now doing engine work myself...if I had the tools and the time, it wouldn't be a problem. I have not seen the damaged parts but will be bringing them home with me when I pick her up. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. Once I get them home I will be able to tell a little more about what happened. I did not get a clear understanding from my service advisor as he was not the mechanic and he was basically reporting to me what the mechanic reported to him. I will gladly post a list of everything that they replaced as well as pictures of the damaged parts.
Unread 11-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #170
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but this is a story on Jalopnik. They have the video posted, and after watching that, there is no reason why they shouldn't warranty it: Why Did A New Jeep Wrangler Die In Ten Inches Of Water?

Edit: I should also mention that I have splashed through puddles that deep with the water coming up 20 feet above my Jeep. Yes, that was in 2 different TJs, but honestly, it shouldn't matter. I hit them so hard that the Jeep threw us into the seatbelts when we hit the water.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #171
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post
You are right in every case, I am not the most mechanically inclined. I do, however, know exactly how an engine works and understand the inner workings well. When I say I'm not mechanically inclined I could not jump under the hood and tell you what was broken unless it was actually something broken, now doing engine work myself...if I had the tools and the time, it wouldn't be a problem. I have not seen the damaged parts but will be bringing them home with me when I pick her up. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. Once I get them home I will be able to tell a little more about what happened. I did not get a clear understanding from my service advisor as he was not the mechanic and he was basically reporting to me what the mechanic reported to him. I will gladly post a list of everything that they replaced as well as pictures of the damaged parts.
I am sorry that I said you were not mechanically inclined. I hope that I didn't offend you. That was not my desire. Photos of the damaged parts and possibly a copy of the work order and parts that were replaced would provide a lot of information. I just find it odd that people are still debating your engine problems being nothing more than a wet electrical component. We are so far past this point it isn't funny.

Posting stories about I did this or that in my CJ, YJ,TJ,XJ, or whatever non JK there is, isn't a help. It seems that JK's have a real issue with water ingestion. Is it cause by inexperienced driver?, or is there an issue with the design or location of the airbox?, or maybe a vacuum line disconnected that sucks water into the engine? Maybe it's a combination of these issues. Yet, there are Jeepers who have been in far deeper water than JKtester did and they didn't have any water ingestion in their engine. Whatever is causing the issue, a snorkel appears to be a wise investment if you own a JK.
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #172
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...or maybe a vacuum line disconnected that sucks water into the engine?
...Whatever is causing the issue, a snorkel appears to be a wise investment if you own a JK.
Unless it's a vacuum line, in which case we are all still screwed.
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #173
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
Unless it's a vacuum line, in which case we are all still screwed.
Normally an open vacuum line will give you issues such as rough idle.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #174
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it is a vacuum line, you should be able to extend it with that clear water hose that is used fro hooking up the ice machine on refrigerators.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #175
markw8
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think this can be chalked up to it was not his luckey day. The planets were not aligned.

Mark
markw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #176
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I am sorry that I said you were not mechanically inclined. I hope that I didn't offend you. That was not my desire. Photos of the damaged parts and possibly a copy of the work order and parts that were replaced would provide a lot of information. I just find it odd that people are still debating your engine problems being nothing more than a wet electrical component. We are so far past this point it isn't funny.

Posting stories about I did this or that in my CJ, YJ,TJ,XJ, or whatever non JK there is, isn't a help. It seems that JK's have a real issue with water ingestion. Is it cause by inexperienced driver?, or is there an issue with the design or location of the airbox?, or maybe a vacuum line disconnected that sucks water into the engine? Maybe it's a combination of these issues. Yet, there are Jeepers who have been in far deeper water than JKtester did and they didn't have any water ingestion in their engine. Whatever is causing the issue, a snorkel appears to be a wise investment if you own a JK.
I took no offense at all. No worries. One of my initial thoughts, the .5 seconds that it went through my head, was the potential of it being an electrical issue only to see that everything electrical was still working. While we were stuck out there trying to figure it out we disconnected the battery to see if it would reset anything. It obviously didn't work. In my lack of mechanical skills and not understanding how a starter worked I wondered if possibly the engine just stalled and the started drive snapped making it not turn the engine over. No matter the case it was not anything we could fix while we were out there and I honestly thought that after seeing what I had gone through the dealership would also see that this was an unusual event. If I get nothing more out of this, hopefully my calls to Chrysler and to the management will get them to take a look at the intake to see if there are improvements to be made. Best case scenario they take care of it for me with a "Hey, sorry this happened, we'll cover it this time." But they're covering their butts. In my discussion with the Area Manager he stated that it was an insurance claim because they can't cover water damage. I stated, that this discussion would not even be taking place if I intentionally drove a Seabring into a puddle...but I took their most "capable" offroad vehicle into a puddle it should have handled. That's just my thoughts on it.

I do have to add that so far, Jill (my Jeep) has been unstoppable. I have had her going up some crazy hills and seeing exactly what her capabilities are. When it comes to hills, rocks, or even bush, she has handled it all with easy. Water...not so much.
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #177
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post

--snip--

I do have to add that so far, Jill (my Jeep) has been unstoppable. I have had her going up some crazy hills and seeing exactly what her capabilities are. When it comes to hills, rocks, or even bush, she has handled it all with easy. Water...not so much.
Don't hold this against Jill..... just get her a snorkel, and make sure all the joints in airtube are water tight. Then be gentle with any future water crossings.
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #178
Dave88LX

I saw this on Jalopnik, and I thought that water looked familiar. I used to live in San Angelo, and used to play out at Twin Buttes all the time.

Should have bought a Bronco.

Looks like the water wasn't as deep when you went through it. Either way, there is no reason your "offroad" Jeep should hydrolock after going through that. That is sad.

Same path:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUU7ybrX7K4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpcfkCzvJ2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt6nc2yinI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VpEq6HXnMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5H_SQ13i8

Last edited by Dave88LX; 11-27-2010 at 11:56 AM..
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #179
jmccormick
2012 JK Wrangler 

you would join just to post dave hahahahaahaa
jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #180
Dave88LX

<3 <3 <3

I was so excited when I saw it was at Twin Buttes.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.