Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #151
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

say what ya want about the artical but there are some great comments on it:

"Yer Jeep is a very capable machine, but it ain't Moses."

and

"You haven't lived until you've off roaded a van or a Plymouth Arrow. The Arrow was pretty sweet off road actually."

as I have said before my volare was great off road too.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #152
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRubicon View Post
Just to get the facts straight. What was the Dealers 'Offcial' writeup of the damage to the JK?

Why? Here's a pic of the JK intake (from my JK - I have an AEM system with an Outerwears prefilter):

The water would have to come in, go down the intake tube, then back up and through the filter (while not draining out the holes in the intake). If the OP submerged the JK then 'maybe' but.....somehow I don't thing we're getting the whole story.

Andy
I really wish that there were more to the story...there simply isn't. What you see is what you get. I have not gotten anything on the exact parts being replaced yet because so far my insurance has been taking care of it. I have looked over and over at the design of the intake to try and figure out how in the world it happened and I am completely at a loss.

I have been on the phone all day with the main Chrylser HQ and up the chain so far to the Area Manager for my region. He is looking at the video, at least I emailed it to him, and hopefully Chrysler will be at least bold enough to look into it.
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #153
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

You can pick up a 3.8L and tranny that someone took out of a Wrangler with no miles on it for $500. It sounds like your issue is being handled by insurance, but if anyone else who reads this ends up in the same situation, make sure you look around before you drop the dough on a new one. There are quite a few out there from folks who upgraded to a Hemi.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #154
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yea sure it's a Jeep, but geeze.. he hit the water hard. Not everyone has the same luck, and every Jeep is different. I nearly hydrolocked my engine as well, but luckily I managed to get out... my air filter was completely black.. It's not Jeep's fault for hydrolocking. It can happen to anyone, and any kind of vehicle... The article is pointless =|
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #155
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Just to get the facts straight. What was the Dealers 'Offcial' writeup of the damage to the JK?

Why? Here's a pic of the JK intake (from my JK - I have an AEM system with an Outerwears prefilter):

The water would have to come in, go down the intake tube, then back up and through the filter (while not draining out the holes in the intake). If the OP submerged the JK then 'maybe' but.....somehow I don't thing we're getting the whole story.

Andy
I agree with PVRubicon....something isn't adding up. That water got in the engine some other way than through the small inlet, through the filter and UP the intake hose. The fact that you actually could crank the engine after it stalled means it wasn't hydrolocked.

If water, did get in the engine, it came in through some other hole, vacuum line maybe? Or it simply splashed up onto some electronics and shorted/water logged something like your coilpack.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #156
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
I agree with PVRubicon....something isn't adding up. That water got in the engine some other way than through the small inlet, through the filter and UP the intake hose. The fact that you actually could crank the engine after it stalled means it wasn't hydrolocked.

If water, did get in the engine, it came in through some other hole, vacuum line maybe? Or it simply splashed up onto some electronics and shorted/water logged something like your coilpack.
The engine didn't turn over...I'm not sure exactly what it was but the best way I can explain it is it "whirred". All the electronics were working and it wanted to start but there was nothing catching. Again, I completely agree that something isn't right.
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #157
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post
The engine didn't turn over...I'm not sure exactly what it was but the best way I can explain it is it "whirred". All the electronics were working and it wanted to start but there was nothing catching. Again, I completely agree that something isn't right.
There is internal damage in the engine,,,, from ?? Water ingestion......

Go to Dealer, take pics of damage, or ask for the damaged parts.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #158
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
There is internal damage in the engine,,,, from ?? Water ingestion......

Go to Dealer, take pics of damage, or ask for the damaged parts.
Yes...they are saying from water ingestion. Insurance guy agreed and it is being filed under a flood claim. I will make sure that I get the parts that they take out. I was thinking of that as I was posting the last time...thanks for the tip though.
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #159
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post
Yes...they are saying from water ingestion. Insurance guy agreed and it is being filed under a flood claim. I will make sure that I get the parts that they take out. I was thinking of that as I was posting the last time...thanks for the tip though.
JKtester, I'm on your side... the Jeep died in water, the Dealer says water ingestion, the insurance company agrees, there is internal damage to the engine, yet people are still questioning if there was water that go into the engine. I suspect that even photos of the damaged parts will not stop people from questioning "did water actually get in the engine?"
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #160
PVRubicon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
JKtester, I'm on your side... the Jeep died in water, the Dealer says water ingestion, the insurance company agrees, there is internal damage to the engine, yet people are still questioning if there was water that go into the engine. I suspect that even photos of the damaged parts will not stop people from questioning "did water actually get in the engine?"
I think it's more along the lines of I don't want JKTester ripped off. If Insurance is involved then DCX has already declined the claim and has probably voided the powertrain warranty on the JK. This should be on the RO (especially if the Insurance adjuster agreed). Say the Jeep gets rebuilt, whats to stop this happeneing again?

As a JK owner would I want to know what happened - I have a significant investment in my Jeep and don't want it to evaporate by splashing through puddles. Did water get in via a bad seal (say the PCV system)?
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #161
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Andy
The problem is that the drains in the bottom aren't big enough. Fill that box full of water+ a little mud and see how long it takes to drain out. If it gets full and you turn hard to the left etc. I've been thinking of placing a 1" 1 way valve in the bottom of the air box until I've got the $$$ for an AEV hood and snorkel.
Unread 11-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #162
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
You can pick up a 3.8L and tranny that someone took out of a Wrangler with no miles on it for $500. It sounds like your issue is being handled by insurance, but if anyone else who reads this ends up in the same situation, make sure you look around before you drop the dough on a new one. There are quite a few out there from folks who upgraded to a Hemi.
I wish I could find deals like that around here. I would love to try to shoehorn it into my 4 cyl TJ at that price.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #163
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

JKTester, when you tried to restart it, did the starter activate and try to turn over the engine?
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #164
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepWJ View Post
JKTester, when you tried to restart it, did the starter activate and try to turn over the engine?
What difference does it make? The dealer said there is internal damage from water ingestion, the insurance company agrees to pay $9K because of damage. I can't imagine an insurance company eager to pay $9K for nothing.
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #165
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

It makes a difference because if you had water sucked into the engine through the top of the engine, then it would actually lock the pistons up and keep them from moving. i.e. your engine wouldn't be able to try to crank hence the 'lock' portion of hydrolock. It literally locks up the engine.

Dealerships and insurance companies can/will generalized damage in order get paperwork processed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.