Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on... - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #136
NickSully
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
That's crazy. Some of you have probably seen this, but here's my pre-snorkel water run my buddy caught on his camera:

YouTube - Don't Fear the Jeeper!
Out of curiosity did you have any water or mud in your air-box after that one?

NickSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #137
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

SO did the OP get it fixed?
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #138
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK87 View Post
SO did the OP get it fixed?
Good question... We need some up-to-date information
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #139
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Here we go...so as far as updates go, I called the dealership (as I do every day to bug the hell out of him) to see when it will be repaired. They said the tore it down on Monday, started replacing parts on Tuesday and I'll get an update as to when it will be ready this afternoon.

The video of the jeep going through the pond a few posts back just gets to me...how can my splash equal a dead engine when his is fine? I don't know how that worked but I don't hold any ill feelings, I think it's cool as hell. Yeah, a Jeep isn't a boat but finding out just what it's capable of is so fun.

I've have spent a lot of time trying to find a better engine for it recently, I thought about going the Hemi route but with an install of the engine and new trans I was looking at about 17k...insurance is going to cover about 9k (roughly) so I let that idea pass. While I was talking with Matt at West Texas Off-road (highly recommended for the area BTW) he jumped on the phone to get information on how easily the Hemi install could be done. He called a friend over in California and they'd replaced 5 JK engines in the past month, 2 with Hemi's, all because of the same exact issue.

When the dealer found her they told me she had leather, when she was delivered she had no leather so the dealer may keep her a little bit longer while I drive their truck around the city to put the leather in. I also have headrest dvd players to install and a push button ignition from Stardrive so it may be a week even after I get her back before she hits the streets...and yes...the mud.

I will claim stupidity and ignorance in checking the air intake box for moisture. After seeing videos like the one mentioned above it was the last thing on my mind, it shouldn't be a problem right? Obviously not.
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #140
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTester View Post
Here we go...so as far as updates go, I called the dealership (as I do every day to bug the hell out of him) to see when it will be repaired. They said the tore it down on Monday, started replacing parts on Tuesday and I'll get an update as to when it will be ready this afternoon.

The video of the jeep going through the pond a few posts back just gets to me...how can my splash equal a dead engine when his is fine? I don't know how that worked but I don't hold any ill feelings, I think it's cool as hell. Yeah, a Jeep isn't a boat but finding out just what it's capable of is so fun.

I've have spent a lot of time trying to find a better engine for it recently, I thought about going the Hemi route but with an install of the engine and new trans I was looking at about 17k...insurance is going to cover about 9k (roughly) so I let that idea pass. While I was talking with Matt at West Texas Off-road (highly recommended for the area BTW) he jumped on the phone to get information on how easily the Hemi install could be done. He called a friend over in California and they'd replaced 5 JK engines in the past month, 2 with Hemi's, all because of the same exact issue.

When the dealer found her they told me she had leather, when she was delivered she had no leather so the dealer may keep her a little bit longer while I drive their truck around the city to put the leather in. I also have headrest dvd players to install and a push button ignition from Stardrive so it may be a week even after I get her back before she hits the streets...and yes...the mud.

I will claim stupidity and ignorance in checking the air intake box for moisture. After seeing videos like the one mentioned above it was the last thing on my mind, it shouldn't be a problem right? Obviously not.
Your update confirms that there was internal damage to your engine and that we can assume it was from water indigestion.

I have been reading a lot about the Hydrolock situation as it relates to the JK's and it seems that some people have done some wild water crossing and never had an issue while others have done minor stuff and had major ill effects. I have heard people say that if you drive thru water just right with a JK, the edge? of the uderside of hood will act as a funnel and direct water into the airbox. I have no idea how much truth there is to any of this, but after reading this post and seeing your video, if I was a JK owner, a snorkel would be on my Jeep before I got with in a 1,000 foot of water. BTW, a Hemi isn't going to like water any better than your OEM engine so changing engines isn't going to prevent future problems unless you also change the style and location of the airbox.
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #141
JKTester
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
BTW, a Hemi isn't going to like water any better than your OEM engine so changing engines isn't going to prevent future problems unless you also change the style and location of the airbox.

The Hemi was just going to be for the joy of having a stronger engine.
JKTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #142
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Hemi was just going to be for the joy of having a stronger engine.
I know. I was just saying that a Hydrolocked Hemi isn't going to be any better
than a hydrolocked OEM engine
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #143
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

hey look, you're famous:

Why Did A New Jeep Wrangler Die In Ten Inches Of Water?
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #144
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
Is that necessary to actually write a article about this? And then to have know it alls post their opinions?

You can clearly see he hit the water too hard, too fast. It's not Jeep's fault. And Jeep advertises 19" for liability reasons. You can ford a lot more of water then that, as long as you don't go to fast.. That article is crap.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #145
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Is that necessary to actually write a article about this? And then to have know it alls post their opinions?

You can clearly see he hit the water too hard, too fast. It's not Jeep's fault. And Jeep advertises 19" for liability reasons. You can ford a lot more of water then that, as long as you don't go to fast.. That article is crap.
There are too many other vids, including Jeeps website that show Much more aggressive, and deeper attacks. There pretty much has to be a worst case scenario and that is what happened to JKTester. Some of these guys completely bury the front end and climb out just fine.

I, for one, am getting a snorkel.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #146
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I think it is because Jalopnik hates Chrysler, but I too found the need to post such an article a bit pointless, then you have all the guys who at one point in or another, did something so amazing with an old Saab or F150 thus making the Jeep suck because of one video
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #147
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

All in all that article is a JOKE! Seems like a 5th grader put it together.
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #148
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

If you don't like opinions, keep them to yourself.....
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #149
PVRubicon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just to get the facts straight. What was the Dealers 'Offcial' writeup of the damage to the JK?

Why? Here's a pic of the JK intake (from my JK - I have an AEM system with an Outerwears prefilter):

The water would have to come in, go down the intake tube, then back up and through the filter (while not draining out the holes in the intake). If the OP submerged the JK then 'maybe' but.....somehow I don't thing we're getting the whole story.

Andy
Unread 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #150
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Rescue Green Jeeps are more impervious to damage. Plus the AEV hood uses kinetic sway energy to funnel water into the pre-chamber which then pressurized it and expels it out the vent in the hood. It's the mechanical equivelent of a whale's blowhole.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.