how to use hill descent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > how to use hill descent

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

how to use hill descent

not in user guide , how do you use it and when?

kade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
rubiwannabe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i believe for off road use.....when activated it decreases the need for use of brakes while descendind a downward slope......sorta like a engine or trans brake
rubiwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
GunDude
2011 JK Wrangler 

I believe you have to in 4lo and push the button on an 8% grade or steeper. I believe it uses the antilock brakes to slow crawl you down.
GunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

In a rubicon just put out in 4lo and first gear. Lol. It'll just about bring you to a stop even on pretty steep hills.

2005 WK Limited 4.7, QTII, Midnight blue pearlcoat. (Hers)
08Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDude View Post
I believe you have to in 4lo and push the button on an 8% grade or steeper. I believe it uses the antilock brakes to slow crawl you down.
so you have to be in 4lo ?

y is this not in the manual!!!!!!
kade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Karl
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hill Descent Control IS in the Owner's Manual (the one that is on the DVD, not in the User's Guide which is provided in print form at purchase). Here is what it says:

- - - - - - - - - -

Hill Descent Control (HDC) – If Equipped

HDC is only intended for low speed off-road driving. HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills in off-road driving conditions by applying the brakes when necessary.

The symbol indicates the status of the Hill Descent Control (HDC) feature. The lamp will be on solid when HDC is armed. HDC can only be armed when the transfer case is in the “4WD LOW” position and the vehicle speed is less then 30 mph (48 km/h). If these conditions are not met while attempting to use the HDC feature, the HDC indicator light will flash on/off.

When enabled, HDC senses the terrain and activates when the vehicle is descending a hill. HDC speed may be adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.

Gear Approximate HDC Set Speed
1st 1 mph (1.5 km/h)
2nd 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
DRIVE 7.5 mph (12 km/h)
REVERSE 1 mph (1.5 km/h)

However, the driver can override HDC operation by applying the brake to slow the vehicle down below the HDC control speed. If more speed is desired during HDC control, the accelerator pedal will increase vehicle speed in the usual manner. When either the brake or the accelerator is released, HDC will control the vehicle at the original set speed.

Enabling HDC

Shift the transfer case into 4WD LOW range. Refer to “Four-Wheel Drive Operation” in “Starting and Operating” for further information.
Press the “Hill Descent” button. The “Hill Descent Control Indicator Light” in the instrument cluster will turn on solid.
Note: If the transfer case is not in 4WD LOW range, the “Hill Descent Control Indicator Light” will flash for five seconds and HDC will not be enabled.

Disabling HDC

Press the “Hill Descent” button or shift the transfer case out of 4WD LOW range. The “Hill Descent Control Indicator” light in the instrument cluster will turn off.

Last edited by Karl; 12-31-2011 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Correction
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hate to bring this back up but one question about operation during HD, when its engaged, going downhill, and going slowly, if I apply slightly more braking, I get the feel of the antiskid working through the brake pedal, and the sound of anti skid like a rumble sound, is this normal?
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I believe that's normal my compass when using hill descent control and adding any braking makes that weird abs sound.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
jenniferjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Does the Rubicon come with the HDC or is it an option?
jenniferjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

All newer Wranglers have this feature. BTW, did you know that when your HDC is working, your two normal brake lights come on but not your high mounted brake light. Just a little worthless trivia...

Dan
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRenegade View Post
All newer Wranglers have this feature. BTW, did you know that when your HDC is working, your two normal brake lights come on but not your high mounted brake light. Just a little worthless trivia...

Dan
I have a 2013 sport and I'm pretty sure I don't have this feature. The only button I have is the esc button. Am I missing the location of the button?
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin321 View Post

I have a 2013 sport and I'm pretty sure I don't have this feature. The only button I have is the esc button. Am I missing the location of the button?
I can't see your profile, but I'm guessing you have a stick. No extra feature required!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
I can't see your profile, but I'm guessing you have a stick. No extra feature required!
Yea its a stick. Guess that explains why I don't have the feature. Thought it was something else I was going to have to enter a konami code to disable
Thanks for the clarification....
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin321 View Post
My 2013 JKU Sport has this feature. It may have to have an automatic transmission to have this feature. On the bill of sale from my dealer this feature is listed as a sub-item of 5-Speed automatic transmission.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRenegade View Post

Dan
With automatic transmissions...no HDC with std transmission

ETA: 4LO and 1st gear...BOOM! HDC engaged!
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.