How unhappy would I be with 3.21 axle ratio? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How unhappy would I be with 3.21 axle ratio?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #46
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 3.21 in a 13 automatic. Its made for mileage but it even seems to lug at low rpm just cruising around. I put a bumper/winch/sliders and if you are a mileage watcher you can see a difference. Personally I don't care but I don't fault you if you do. I am planning 35's and a 2.5 lift. I will regear after that. Its not an option for me as I can tell the difference even with stock tires. The 3.6 has lots of torque and horsepower and it will make up for 3.21's to some degree with an automatic. However for me I am going to 4.56. Mine is a 2 dr sport so I know the regear is a little more expensive. No ambition for lockers as Wisconsin doesn't have that many rock climbs for me to do at this point in my driving career. I will have a Rubi in the future (16-17?) and build from there. Its personal preference and driving conditions that will dictate if you will be happy with a 3.21. Its for the daily driver who wants mileage and still can have a little capability but the potential is just that with a 3.21, potential. Good Luck.

CaptainEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #47
Zrider1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I couldn't pass up the deal - I bought the sport even though it has the 3.21 gears. I've decided to go with 33's and no lift for now. I'll wait a couple years to get the 35's, when I have enough $$$ for a both a lift and new gears. Besides the new wheels and tires, I've already got plans for new front and rear bumpers (leaning toward the Aries 15600 and 25600 right now) and a soft top (Trektop NX). I'll also put in a better radio, and I may also get a Procal. Any other recommendations?
jeep-2.jpg  
Zrider1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #48
Denbag
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have 2012 sport automatic with 3.21 gears and I just put on 35x12.5 mtr's. It's liveable, not going to say it's perfect. Driving around town isn't bad at all but once you hit highway speeds I usually keep it in 4th and not overdrive. Lost about 2-3mpg after putting on the 35's
Regear is next on my list, most likely 4.10 or 4.56.
img_1298.jpg  
Denbag is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #49
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

If I were you I would take those side steps off. If you an on doing any off-roading you will probably get them caught on something and rip them off. Especially with no lift on it. Just my 2 cents.
Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #50
bbbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
It's about a $150 option.

You can add a "0" if you have to re-gear.
$295 per Jeep.com Build Your Own. Plus the increased cost of gas.
bbbradley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #51
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbradley View Post
$295 per Jeep.com Build Your Own. Plus the increased cost of gas.
I knew it wasn't much. It's been a couple years since I really looked. It didn't matter when I bought my 2013 because I knew better than to consider anything other than one with 3.73's. I just told them to find me one.

Your mistaken if you think 3.73's will always decrease your fuel economy. The 3.73's could result in BETTER fuel economy. There are other factors to consider.... Typical driving speed, tire size, area (mountains/flatlander), towing /hauling...
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #52
bbbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post

Your mistaken if you think 3.73's will always decrease your fuel economy. The 3.73's could result in BETTER fuel economy. There are other factors to consider.... Typical driving speed, tire size, area (mountains/flatlander), towing /hauling...
Could...or could not.
bbbradley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #53
GonzosWrangler
2013 JK Wrangler 

"I hate with a fiery passion my stupid 3.21 gears and 33s. If I hit the slightest incline on the highway I have to start down shifting. Unless I hit the hill at 70, I'm not able to stay in 6th gear."

Maybe it's me but, I've never had any vehicles in the last 40 years that didn't need to downshift on a hill if the hill was steep or long. Even automatics do, doesn't matter if I had a V8, a 6 or a 4 cylinder in the car, they all downshifted to maintain speed. Some of these automatics downshifted more than once. Why wouldn't you need to downshift a stick shift under the same situation? It's such an easy and simple thing to do.
GonzosWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #54
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well I'm talking about anything above about a 3 grade.. Basically if its not down hill or perfectly flat I can't keep it in 6th.

I do understand going up hill takes more power and down shifting, but it's just a pain going from 60 to 50 to 45 and ending up in 3rd gear trying to get back up to speed on the tiniest hint of elevation increase.
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #55
SamM

My 2013 Jeep Sahara MOAB came with the automatic transmission and 3:21 gears. My Jeep was bought for Overlanding and should work perfectly for what I have planned. No lift, larger tires or re-gearing is needed or will be done. The Jeep gets very good fuel mileage. On a recently trip to Florida, I was getting 20mpg traveling with the traffic, at between 75 and 80. At 65 to 70 it gets about 22 to 23mpg. I couldn't be happier with it. Re-gearing, adding a lift and larger tires would void my extended warranty. Not going to happen.

My only additions have been MOPAR and AEV mud flaps, AEV floor mats, a MOPAR trailer hitch and soon a MOPAR cold air intake. With 300hp and stock sized tires it will run just great with the 3:21 gears. My Jeep does not just see street duty, as I live off-road. Getting to my place is great fun. The Jeep is my daily driver but mild off-road use is something I do all the time. It is more than capable for that, as is. The MOAB does not have a heavy hardtop which helps.

My future additions will be a winch in my a AEV bumper, a rear AEV tire carrier, AEV water tanks and Bilstein shocks. It will also get a Gobi roof rack and I am building a Schutt Industries expedition trailer to carry gear and a RTT.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:07 PM   #56
deaconhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
My 2013 Jeep Sahara MOAB came with the automatic transmission and 3:21 gears. My Jeep was bought for Overlanding and should work perfectly for what I have planned. No lift, larger tires or re-gearing is needed or will be done. The Jeep gets very good fuel mileage. On a recently trip to Florida, I was getting 20mpg traveling with the traffic, at between 75 and 80. At 65 to 70 it gets about 22 to 23mpg. I couldn't be happier with it. Re-gearing, adding a lift and larger tires would void my extended warranty. Not going to happen. My only additions have been MOPAR and AEV mud flaps, AEV floor mats, a MOPAR trailer hitch and soon a MOPAR cold air intake. With 300hp and stock sized tires it will run just great with the 3:21 gears. My Jeep does not just see street duty, as I live off-road. Getting to my place is great fun. The Jeep is my daily driver but mild off-road use is something I do all the time. It is more than capable for that, as is. The MOAB does not have a heavy hardtop which helps. My future additions will be a winch in my a AEV bumper, a rear AEV tire carrier, AEV water tanks and Bilstein shocks. It will also get a Gobi roof rack and I am building a Schutt Industries expedition trailer to carry gear and a RTT. SamM

What is an approximate cost of changing gear ratios
deaconhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #57
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaconhill View Post
What is an approximate cost of changing gear ratios
$1500 +

Welcome to the Club

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #58
deaconhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK
$1500 + Welcome to the Club
Thanks.....

I would be fine for what I'm using it for.... I but slightly larger tire on 245/7516 and a winch on the front. I will be pulling a camper under 1000 lbs. wife and I are just doing some camping, touring on dirt roads, easy two tracking, and silver lake dunes once a year. Mostly for touring.
I thought a different gear ratio would help.

Thanks for your help in advance
deaconhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.