How unhappy would I be with 3.21 axle ratio? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How unhappy would I be with 3.21 axle ratio?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Reply
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #31
Godholio
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Haven, UT
Posts: 1,839
I'd be raising hell if there were options on the window sticker that weren't actually on the vehicle.

__________________
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
Butterjeep
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadna71 View Post
That's quite judgemental.
I respectfully agree with you. Listen, I didn't say what I said to be liked or to make someone happy. I said it because it is quite disappointing to see somebody buy something they aren't quite prepared for. In my opinion, a regear is just as important as any other mod on a Jeep. If anything, I would say it's more important than wheels, tires, lift, etc. However, how many times do you see someone regear first and then save up for tires? How many times do you see someone slap on bigger tires then suffer with a too tall geared Jeep for weeks, months, even years? In the meantime, how much wear on the clutch, heat buildup in the transmission and sometimes, risk/danger to themselves are they putting on? I live in an area where on ramps are short and speeds are high. Would I even attempt to merge with a 3.21 geared JK spinning 35's? No way, that's irresponsible for me to try and dangerous for everyone.

If you don't have enough money to do it properly, you don't have enough money to do it at all. Again, I repeat myself, would you skimp on other items such as insurance, maintenance or other needed items?

To put it another way, if you lived in a 600 square foot apartment and worked 50 hours a week, would you go get a lab puppy? Again, the answer should be no. If you don't have the resources to do it right, you shouldn't be doing it.
__________________
2012 JK
2014 WK2
Butterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #33
snrusnak
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 31
We have 3.21's on our 2012 wrangler sport (base model as it gets, only options are AC and auto trans). We are happy with it. We are also not off roaders or anything like that. I believe the stock tires are 29", with the 16" wheels. Honestly, this jeep is pretty quick IMO. I'm sure with huge tires it'd be a different story. We just bought some oem 17" wheels and plan to get ~30" maybe 31" tires. Something like what comes stock. I think it will still be fine.
snrusnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #34
bbbradley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterjeep View Post
I said it because it is quite disappointing to see somebody buy something they aren't quite prepared for.
It;s disappointing someone chooses to spend their money as they see fit?
bbbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #35
Butterjeep
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbradley View Post
It;s disappointing someone chooses to spend their money as they see fit?
You have a good point. If someone chooses to put bigger tires on their rig but not update their differential gearing ratio accordingly, I guess that's their option to do so.

I'll still stick with my opinion that this is the irresponsible thing to do.
__________________
2012 JK
2014 WK2

Last edited by Butterjeep; 10-28-2013 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Don't want to start an "internet fight."
Butterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
quadna71
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: , Delaware
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterjeep View Post
I respectfully agree with you. Listen, I didn't say what I said to be liked or to make someone happy. I said it because it is quite disappointing to see somebody buy something they aren't quite prepared for. In my opinion, a regear is just as important as any other mod on a Jeep. If anything, I would say it's more important than wheels, tires, lift, etc. However, how many times do you see someone regear first and then save up for tires? How many times do you see someone slap on bigger tires then suffer with a too tall geared Jeep for weeks, months, even years? In the meantime, how much wear on the clutch, heat buildup in the transmission and sometimes, risk/danger to themselves are they putting on? I live in an area where on ramps are short and speeds are high. Would I even attempt to merge with a 3.21 geared JK spinning 35's? No way, that's irresponsible for me to try and dangerous for everyone.

If you don't have enough money to do it properly, you don't have enough money to do it at all. Again, I repeat myself, would you skimp on other items such as insurance, maintenance or other needed items?

To put it another way, if you lived in a 600 square foot apartment and worked 50 hours a week, would you go get a lab puppy? Again, the answer should be no. If you don't have the resources to do it right, you shouldn't be doing it.
Oh hey, I don't disagree with needing to regear. My '03 was geared/locked as is my wife's '01. And our JKU will be getting gears the day before I put on the lift and tires. If you're gonna do something then you have to do it right. My comment was directed more to your way of implying that if you have enough money for one then you have the money for the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterjeep View Post
If you have money to spend on a JK, a lift, wheels, or tires you have money to regear. If you can't then you can't afford the Jeep. Would you skimp on other "extras" like gasoline, maintenance or insurance?
See what I mean? Like I said - I agree 100% that you have to do one to effectively do another...but would not want to imply that a person must have the means in their pockets to do both.

Peace - Chris (thinks Jeeps are Transformers....'cause there is clearly more than meets the eye)
__________________
2013 JKU Sahara - ours
2001 TJ SE - hers, 2001 XJ Sport - ours

2003 TJ Sport - sold, 2000 TJ Sport - sold
1993 XJ Sport - totaled, 1987 XJ Laredo - sold
1987 XJ Chief - sold, 1953 CJ-3B - sold
quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
amps
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: rockford, illinois
Posts: 6
I was pissed off when I found out I had 321s........I pull a harley around on a trailer ....open bed so no wind drag....it worked but going up and down small hills you could tell and I am towing 1500lbs.........So the other side of the coin .. my gas mileage is 22.5 on a 400 mile trip with no towing...thats good 18 mpg towing...and thats good...
I also run electric Brakes on the trailer......If were to do it all over again it would be 373.........
amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
amps
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: rockford, illinois
Posts: 6
What does it cost for the dealer to pt in 373 on a 2013
amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #39
Godholio
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Haven, UT
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterjeep View Post
I respectfully agree with you. Listen, I didn't say what I said to be liked or to make someone happy. I said it because it is quite disappointing to see somebody buy something they aren't quite prepared for. In my opinion, a regear is just as important as any other mod on a Jeep. If anything, I would say it's more important than wheels, tires, lift, etc. However, how many times do you see someone regear first and then save up for tires? How many times do you see someone slap on bigger tires then suffer with a too tall geared Jeep for weeks, months, even years? In the meantime, how much wear on the clutch, heat buildup in the transmission and sometimes, risk/danger to themselves are they putting on? I live in an area where on ramps are short and speeds are high. Would I even attempt to merge with a 3.21 geared JK spinning 35's? No way, that's irresponsible for me to try and dangerous for everyone.

If you don't have enough money to do it properly, you don't have enough money to do it at all. Again, I repeat myself, would you skimp on other items such as insurance, maintenance or other needed items?

To put it another way, if you lived in a 600 square foot apartment and worked 50 hours a week, would you go get a lab puppy? Again, the answer should be no. If you don't have the resources to do it right, you shouldn't be doing it.
You seem to be laboring under the assumption that everyone has the same requirements that you have. IE, they have to drive/wheel under conditions that set the same requirements. That's hardly accurate. Plenty of people buy these things to stick to pavement...I didn't, but that's unfortunately where most of my drive time is spent. However, even in stock form the JK performs well enough to handle plenty of unpaved terrain.

I agree if you can't afford to do it right, don't do it. However, buying a JK without modding isn't the same thing as not doing it right. Trying to equate it to insurance or gas is not cool, nor accurate.
__________________
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #40
Butterjeep
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
You seem to be laboring under the assumption that everyone has the same requirements that you have. IE, they have to drive/wheel under conditions that set the same requirements. That's hardly accurate. Plenty of people buy these things to stick to pavement...I didn't, but that's unfortunately where most of my drive time is spent. However, even in stock form the JK performs well enough to handle plenty of unpaved terrain.

I agree if you can't afford to do it right, don't do it. However, buying a JK without modding isn't the same thing as not doing it right. Trying to equate it to insurance or gas is not cool, nor accurate.
That's fair, I respect your opinion, but I'm sticking with mine.
__________________
2012 JK
2014 WK2
Butterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #41
SLADE
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 26537
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by amps View Post
What does it cost for the dealer to pt in 373 on a 2013

It's about a $150 option.

You can add a "0" if you have to re-gear.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JK
2012 Wrangler JKU
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #42
ssteacher95
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dade City, Florida
Posts: 18
I love these threads, it takes me back to my Challenger forum days. RT owners posted that the 3.6L was so slow you couldn't even merge onto the highway and it didn't have enough get up and go to drive around the city. SRT owners would rip on RT guys for having less than 400hp. I drive a 3.21 manual with stock tires in Florida and have no issues, even did some trails at Richloam- had to drop in 4 lo instead of 4 high, but didn't have any issues. According to some of these posters I don't even have enough power to back my Jeep out of a parking space at the mall and need to regear to 5.83 just to run stock Rubicon tires. Cheers!
ssteacher95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #43
DuckRunner09
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 371
I hate with a fiery passion my stupid 3.21 gears and 33s. If I hit the slightest incline on the highway I have to start down shifting. Unless I hit the hill at 70, I'm not able to stay in 6th gear.

4.88s are in my wish list, just waiting for the funds to build.
__________________
I don't get lost, just temporarily misplace myself
DuckRunner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #44
DuckRunner09
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 371
Ok, on topic question here. What does everyone mean when they say the diff is different for the 3.21 gears? I thought it was the same as the 3.73 diff as it's still a d30. Shouldn't cost any different to regear from 3.21 or 3.73 assuming you're going lower either way, ie I want 4.56 or 4.88 gears anyways which is why I didn't waste my money on 3.73s that where being ditched either way..
__________________
I don't get lost, just temporarily misplace myself
DuckRunner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #45
SLADE
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 26537
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckRunner09 View Post
Ok, on topic question here. What does everyone mean when they say the diff is different for the 3.21 gears? I thought it was the same as the 3.73 diff as it's still a d30. Shouldn't cost any different to regear from 3.21 or 3.73 assuming you're going lower either way, ie I want 4.56 or 4.88 gears anyways which is why I didn't waste my money on 3.73s that where being ditched either way..

The Dana 30 Carrier break is 3.54/3.73.

The JK Dana 44 uses the same carrier for all gear ratios. You'll get a 3.73 and DOWN (numerically lower) carrier for all JK Dana 44 gear ratios.


If you have 3.73 gears, all you need for a re-gear is the gears and a minimum install kit. If you have 3.21's, You'll need a new FRONT carrier, gears, and a master install kit for the front (minimum for the rear).

If your ditching the factory carriers and installing lockers or LSD's anyhow, the price and parts needed will be the same regardless what gear ratio you have factory.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JK
2012 Wrangler JKU
2004 Wrangler TJ on LEAFS
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.