How to stiffen up the steering? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How to stiffen up the steering?

JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 12-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #31
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
Crap, that sucks

Can anyone point me out to maybe a cheaper but good quality control arm. I dont want to buy crap but I dont want to break the bank either.
People sell adj CAs here all the time when they upgrade or part out. Can still find decent ones.

Unread 12-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #32
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
People sell adj CAs here all the time when they upgrade or part out. Can still find decent ones.
Yea but being this is a JK I dont know how lucky I would be on that.
I will look though
irishluck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #33
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Why don't you get a set of AEV drop brackets, they allow adjustment for 2.5,3.5, and 4.5" of lift. You won't break the bank at $100

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #34
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Why don't you get a set of AEV drop brackets, they allow adjustment for 2.5,3.5, and 4.5" of lift. You won't break the bank at $100
I did look at them, are those brackets going to hold up though? Are they a pretty good solid bracket? and will those hold up for mild off road?

Just want to get the best bang for my buck.
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #35
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
This is a good idea also. They don't sit terribly low, but they do hand down slightly. Id bet it dont affect your mild offroading at all.
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
This is a good idea also. They don't sit terribly low, but they do hand down slightly. Id bet it dont affect your mild offroading at all.
Yea, someone else mentioned them in this thread as well on the first page. I just want to make sure its worth buy those or if its work just saving up a little bit until I can afford adjustable lowers?
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Brianjw, Theboss, Maertz

Thanks for the advice on those brackets. I went ahead and bought those AEV Brackets through the rep here on the forum.
Going to give those a try and save up eventually for adjustable control arms.

After I get those installed, I can then get the caster set up properly and play with the tire pressure more from there to have that set up correctly.
Even with this mod though, I will still have to get adjustable control arms though to move the axle back over, correct?

Brianjw

Can you tell me whats up with that bolt kit you mentioned? Why do I need to change those bolts out? Just stronger bolts?
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #38
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Brianjw, Theboss, Maertz

Thanks for the advice on those brackets. I went ahead and bought those AEV Brackets through the rep here on the forum.
Going to give those a try and save up eventually for adjustable control arms.

After I get those installed, I can then get the caster set up properly and play with the tire pressure more from there to have that set up correctly.
Even with this mod though, I will still have to get adjustable control arms though to move the axle back over, correct?

Brianjw

Can you tell me whats up with that bolt kit you mentioned? Why do I need to change those bolts out? Just stronger bolts?
To move the axle back over as in centered side to side you would need a track bar. Adjustable arms would center the wheels/axle in the wheel well which isnt normally a drastic problem. As for the bolt kit i didnt look back but id bet hes referring to the control arm and track bar bolt upgrade kit.

Last edited by 1222; 12-17-2013 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: No selling of parts allowed in this section. If need be do it through PMs.
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #39
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
To move the axle back over as in centered side to side you would need a track bar. Adjustable arms would center the wheels/axle in the wheel well which isnt normally a drastic problem. As for the bolt kit i didnt look back but id bet hes referring to the control arm and track bar bolt upgrade kit. I sell them for 30 bucks shipped, i highly doubt you'll find them cheaper anywhere.
Ah okay. I just want the casters back to normal so I have my tires straight again. If I can drive it with the axle 1/2" shifted to the right then thats fine for now.

Yea he was talking about the Synergy Manufacturing F911 Lower Control Arm Hardware Kit.

Last edited by 1222; 12-17-2013 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: No selling of parts allowed in this section. If need be do it through PMs.
Unread 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #40
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Going to reopen this thread.

I got my AEV correction brackets and installed them last week. The handling has improved slightly but not much. It still feels like the jeep is all over the place. it pulls hard to the right and I have to keep slight pressure on the steering wheel to the left.

I'm assuming at this point this is caused from the axle being shifted to the right and not centered anymore from the lift.

So adjustable track-bar?
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #41
Lammy

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Going to reopen this thread.

I got my AEV correction brackets and installed them last week. The handling has improved slightly but not much. It still feels like the jeep is all over the place. it pulls hard to the right and I have to keep slight pressure on the steering wheel to the left.

I'm assuming at this point this is caused from the axle being shifted to the right and not centered anymore from the lift.

So adjustable track-bar?
I can't remember what you said before, but make sure the alignment is spot on so you can eliminate that possibility.
Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #42
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well as far as I know it is.

I got the new AEV brackets installed which should have adjusted the camber.
The toe is set properly.

The axle is still slightly to the right.

As far as I'm aware of that's all that really needs adjusted.
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #43
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well as far as I know it is.

I got the new AEV brackets installed which should have adjusted the camber.
The toe is set properly.

The axle is still slightly to the right.

As far as I'm aware of that's all that really needs adjusted.
Aev brackets change caster not camber ud think...
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #44
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

So basically I wasted $100 on brackets to find out that these basically did nothing to help?
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #45
Meep97
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So basically I wasted $100 on brackets to find out that these basically did nothing to help?
You didn't "waste" $100 on the brackets. You should be able to tell at least some difference with them. The brackets also help correct your pinon/ drive shaft angle, helping it last longer. If you're totally unhappy with them, I'm sure you could turn around and sell them pretty easily.

What tires do you have?
Meep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.