How to stiffen up the steering? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How to stiffen up the steering?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck

And if I dont want to lose clearance I should probably get adjustable lower control arms, correct?
Yes. Someone sells a basic lower control arm that is slightly longer, non adjustable but I'd go for adjustable myself. If you plan to lift more, just be sure you're buying things that will be compatible so you aren't buying things twice. Or if you think you may replace all control arms in the future, decide which ones you want and get those lowers. I just installed metalcloak arms on mine and like them so far, but who knows how long the Duraflex joints will last.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes when people install a lift or spacers they don't loosen the control arm bolts. This can create some odd handling behaviors as the factory control arm bushings don't rotate, so if they aren't loosened during a height change they have preload in the bushings. You should loosen all of the control arm bolts, try to bounce the jeep around a little and retorque them on level ground.

brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Yes. Someone sells a basic lower control arm that is slightly longer, non adjustable but I'd go for adjustable myself. If you plan to lift more, just be sure you're buying things that will be compatible so you aren't buying things twice. Or if you think you may replace all control arms in the future, decide which ones you want and get those lowers. I just installed metalcloak arms on mine and like them so far, but who knows how long the Duraflex joints will last.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes when people install a lift or spacers they don't loosen the control arm bolts. This can create some odd handling behaviors as the factory control arm bushings don't rotate, so if they aren't loosened during a height change they have preload in the bushings. You should loosen all of the control arm bolts, try to bounce the jeep around a little and retorque them on level ground.
I saw a duroflex joint fall apart within 1000 miles...(not offroading)
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
I tried to do the chalk test once but I failed at it.
Take a stick of sidewalk chalk (Children's toy section of Walmart), or regular chalk, scrape the side of the stick across the pavement to rough it up, then rub it across the tire tread back and forth many times. It make take a dozen stokes to get enough chalk on the tread. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy. And worth it to determine your proper tire pressure.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Take a stick of sidewalk chalk (Children's toy section of Walmart), or regular chalk, scrape the side of the stick across the pavement to rough it up, then rub it across the tire tread back and forth many times. It make take a dozen stokes to get enough chalk on the tread. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy. And worth it to determine your proper tire pressure.
tire chalk works alot better...
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
1.correct.

2.thats an interesting analogy lol.
Well come on, we all know when our jeep parts arrive at the door were like little kids again!
irishluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post

I did not know this about the control arm bolts...

So right now, how it sits since I dont have any of those adjustable parts at the moment, is there really anything I can do to adjust the alignment to see if it improves the steering? And I will be doing that control arm bolt re torquing though.

Edit: So does anyone have any adjustable control arms they want to sell for a JK. I just looked and those are out of my budget at the moment! =D
Unread 12-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #22
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

I tried to lower the PSI to 28 and will be doing that tire test today.

Question I did have which I think would be the cause of my problem.
The jeep likes to pull to the left alot.
Which from what I know if from the trackbar. The front axle is 1/2" to the right(passenger) side of the vehicle.

If that isnt it, what would cause it to pull to the left?
Unread 12-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #23
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was wondering if anyone knew how the skyjacker control arms where?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_400_07.htm
Says there good for 2.5"-5" lift

I did the chalk test today at 28psi. The results were that the inner tire is rubbing the ground more than the center and outer tire.

Also im looking at the black diamond trackbar. Ive read some good things about them. Do I need anything else with this to install it?
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
spinlock

Lowering tire pressure and adding heavy stabilizers will just add inertia to the system masking the real problem: insufficient Caster angle. Go with the adjustable control arms which will allow you to tune it as required. Who knows how much Caster that SJ lift will need over time.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone knew how the skyjacker control arms where?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_400_07.htm
Says there good for 2.5"-5" lift

I did the chalk test today at 28psi. The results were that the inner tire is rubbing the ground more than the center and outer tire.

Also im looking at the black diamond trackbar. Ive read some good things about them. Do I need anything else with this to install it?
theyll most likey be fine for you, however i would go adjustable, IMO 2-5" casters will vary enough to the degree one wont work on all...

if the tires are wearing on the inside, you need to let more air out. you want a flat tread.

not sure if he trackbars adjustable (would assume so) if thats the case go for it. There are better quality items than skyjacker and black diamond, but that doesnt mean it wont be fine in your scenario.
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
theyll most likey be fine for you, however i would go adjustable, IMO 2-5" casters will vary enough to the degree one wont work on all...

if the tires are wearing on the inside, you need to let more air out. you want a flat tread.

not sure if he track bars adjustable (would assume so) if that's the case go for it. There are better quality items than skyjacker and black diamond, but that doesn't mean it wont be fine in your scenario.
Ill prolly just save up for adjustable control arms then.
Just cant afford them at the moment.

If the tire is wearing from the inside, shouldn't I be concerned about the caster being out of whack?
I mean how do you start to determine that its the tire PSI vs the caster angle?

The black diamond is adjustable. I thought they were a decent company?
Its made with 1.25" steel.

I also found a Rock Krawler for $179.00 with free shipping. Actually the place is only a few hours from me to be honest. www.4ws.com
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ill prolly just save up for adjustable control arms then.
Just cant afford them at the moment.

If the tire is wearing from the inside, shouldn't I be concerned about the caster being out of whack?
I mean how do you start to determine that its the tire PSI vs the caster angle?

The black diamond is adjustable. I thought they were a decent company?
Its made with 1.25" steel.

I also found a Rock Krawler for $179.00 with free shipping. Actually the place is only a few hours from me to be honest. www.4ws.com

id get the caster fixed then test the psi. i run mine at 20-22 psi on road. the psi will vary on jeep weight and tire load rating and such. Caster is a big benefit to your pinion angles helping your tcase. but it can be a problem with handling if say one side is shorter than the other.
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #28
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
id get the caster fixed then test the psi. i run mine at 20-22 psi on road. the psi will vary on jeep weight and tire load rating and such. Caster is a big benefit to your pinion angles helping your tcase. but it can be a problem with handling if say one side is shorter than the other.
and in order to adjust the caster properly would be with adjustable control arms correct?
Unread 12-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #29
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes sir
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #30
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes sir
Crap, that sucks

Can anyone point me out to maybe a cheaper but good quality control arm. I dont want to buy crap but I dont want to break the bank either.
I understand that obviously these items cost money and I dont want to go cheap.

I dont really do a whole of off roading yet. And even when I do it would be mild.

I think I may have found a front track bar, either going with black diamond that I found for $150 or a rock krawler for $180. Both with free shipping.
But I need control arms too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.