How to reset the PCM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How to reset the PCM

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 06-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
n19948
2008 JK Wrangler 

How to reset the PCM

Does anyone know if this procedure works on the JK?

This very simple procedure will Erase the “Adaptive Memory” stored inside the PCM and allow a new “Adaptive Memory” to be developed.

After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics.

Please perform these steps exactly as they are written, in the order they are written. This will cause the adaptive memory in the PCM to be erased and cause the PCM to go into Fast Learn Mode adaptive mode.

Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground for 30 seconds. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory.
Reconnect the Battery Cable
Turn Ignition Switch to the “On” position but DO NOT start the engine
Turn Headlight “On”
Turn Headlights “Off”
Turn Ignition Key “Off”

The PCM Adaptive memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM.

When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory.

When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the “Adaptive Memory”.

The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.

I found this in the Cherokee form.

Thanks for any help.

n19948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hmm.. I wonder if this really improves anything. I mean I get 21MPG in my Jeep. When I first got it, the engine used to rev up but it stopped. Not sure if it was because when I got it was cold out and it was just warming itself, or what. Oh well Let me know if you try this out!
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

my revs high when my jeep sit for a long while.. and its still 80 degrees out

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
BiGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Sure it does, but it doesn't accomplish anything. Your Jeep will not misteriously run better or have more power. This is usually done to erase codes.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
n19948
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm having trouble with the torque converter lock up on the 2 to 3 shift - it shutters. The dealer replaced the TC at 800 miles and cleared the pcm and it worked great for 300 miles and it started again. They cleared the pcm 2 days ago and it was great for until today. The mechanic said it looks like the memory is learning wrong so I was just thinking about clearing it again myself and seeing what happens.

Everything else is great. I get 22 mpg and all the shift points are good - just a little shutter on the 2 to 3 shift. Just trying to make it perfect.
n19948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
malton
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n19948 View Post
Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground for 30 seconds. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory.
"to ground"...help an idiot out here...to the negative cable/terminal, or...?
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless succession of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."--H L Mencken
malton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Evil_Trolloc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, the ground would be the negative cable, post, all the chassis (just don't hold it to a painted part or a piece of metal fastened to plastic. Best to go right to the negative terminal at the battery
08 rubicon / 2dr / 6spd / 3.5" rockkrawler / 1" BL / 36" TSL's / superior rear axle shafts, JE Reel 1350 rear DS / skidrow oil/trans skid / riddler covers / EVO C gussets / RK truss / custom grill gaurd / CB / Herculiner / home brew sliders / plenty of scratches
Evil_Trolloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
thundercat900
2007 JK Wrangler 

Very wrong and could be very bad for any computer controled vehicle. NEVER remove the positive terminal first and NEVER NEVER install the positive terminal LAST.

You should always remove the negative terminal first and install the negative terminal last to help prevent voltage spikes into the vehicles modules.

I'm not saying that every time you spark the positive terminal back on it will wipe out a ecu....but why take a chance.

But I have used many times resetting the pcm by unhooking the netative terminal and touching it to the positive terminal for at least 10 seconds. This will not short anything out because the battery is open and there will be no current flow thru it.
2007 JK Unlimited
Supercharged 3.8
Unichip dyno tuned
thundercat900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
cerbomark

On Chevy it was just dis connect battery overnight. I would not try what was suggested with the battery terminals unless you are 100% sure of that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.