How to replace spark plugs on my 07 JK wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How to replace spark plugs on my 07 JK wrangler

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
ccpintl
2007 JK Wrangler 

How to replace spark plugs on my 07 JK wrangler

Bought my first Wrangler 2 weeks ago, just love it. Is there any write-ups for replacing spark plugs on a JK wrangler. I couldn't find any. 3 spark plugs on the driver side is very easy to be located, but the the rest 3 on the passenger side are hiding underneath a cover. Anybody know how to remove that cover to reach the spark plugs. Thanks......

ccpintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I checked my maintenance manual and there was no info in there on removing the panel...at least I could not find it.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just follow the engine wires and you come to the plugs. The passenger side plugs are a bit harder to get to, especially the #1 plug, which is closest to the passenger. You'll need a swivel to get at it.

I did mine last weekend. It took about 10-15 minutes to do the driver's side, and about 30 minutes to do the passenger side. A bit of a pain, but absolutely do-able.

Good luck

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
jehnmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

are everyone's plugs going bad already? I still have my originals in after 61K miles...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Should be able to get at all of them with a swivel attachment. I did when the engine ate water. Just watch your poor knuckles.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
wilywillie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Using a 4" extension and a u-joint ("swivel") with the socket wrench makes some of them easier. The "guides" that the wires run through can be pulled off and pushed back on when you're done. (JK plastic crap)
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

When I hydrolocked my engine, another board member here was able to pull all six plugs with a regular socket wrench and a small extention on the trail. It was rough, but he did it.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
ccpintl
2007 JK Wrangler 

I will give it try tomorrow..... Thanks for the help guys.
ccpintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Rckcrwlr247
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I spent 2 hours changing the spark plugs on my 07 unlimited and finally got to the back sparkplug through the wheel well on the passenger side using my left hand. At first I couldn't get the wire off. When I got the wire off, I went through the top and I used a 3inch extension with a swivel to a 10inch extension and the spark plug came right out. This is almost certainly the worst Jeep design ever. If the battery tray had a removable section (close to the engine)all you would have to do is pull the battery and it would be easy as pie. Good luck guys and gals.
Rckcrwlr247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
JeepK9_79
2010 JK Wrangler 

The plugs on the passenger side at first look seem difficult and reading all the posts did give me any confidence however they are just as easy as the passenger side, it just require a little bit more prep.
First, you will need three medium/large zip ties and a flat head screw driver. Now remove the rubber tube that is connected to the air box that holds the air filter and move it out of the way.
Secondly, there are two other rubber tubes that are held hostage by a piece of plastic, use your screw driver to unlock. Once they are freed zip tie it up and out of the way.
Now, the only thing that should be in your way is the plug wires. So disconnect them all and zip tie them up and out of the way, that is unless you have a little helper. Now the prep is done so go to town.
Seriously, you do not have to go out and buy anything unless you need an excuse to go buy something you don't have.
Tools: 3 inch extension, spark plug socket, ratchet, flat head screw driver, two zip ties, 9 year old daughter(wanted to help). Staring at it the area and stressing out 15 min, Prep 5 minutes. Total time 10-15 mins for the passenger side. I didn't count the time staring at it stressing out. Good luck and I hope this helps!
JeepK9_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I agree with the others, swivel worked best to get them out.
Maybe I dont remember them being to difficult because I did mine shortly after I did my wife's Highlander. Front three 15 minutes, back three took 3+ hours. Back three you cant see next to firewall. Had to take intake manifold and wiper motor panel out to get to them.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I waited until the magic 100k that the manual says to change them at. Mistake, they were probably done at 50K.
Unread 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Holy thread revival batman!!!

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Another good trick - use the spark plug socket that has an external hex on the end - a 5/8 box wrench (or 5/8 shallow socket with swivel) to turn it. That can get you into many a tight place. Its easier to get the socket on it with nothing connected - then wrench or socket to break loose and fingers the rest of the way!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.