Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How to perform a 6000 mile service.

37K views 76 replies 48 participants last post by  John45 
#1 ·
Disclaimer: I am not a Jeep engineer or certified mechanic.

Things you will need:

-Creeper (optional)
-x2 Jackstands
-Scissor Jack (found in your storage compartment)
-Lug Wrench
-13mm Socket w/extension and ratchet
-Oil filter wrench
-7qt Mobil1 5w-20 Full Synthetic oil
-Fram ToughGuard TG3614 oil filter
-Oil pan
-Funnel
-Oil rag
-Prestone Complete Fuel System Cleaner (Optional)
-Chock block(s)
-x1 JK Wrangler

Tire Rotation: To prevent uneven wear because all of your tires do not wear the same.

Remember to put the Jeep in PARK and chock the front wheels before jacking it up. The lift points are fairly easy to find, pretty much anywhere on the axles does the trick, however the closer you can put it to the wheel the more stable it will be.

Removing the lugs from the wheel will take some force, applying pressure with your foot does the trick for stubborn lugs. Remember to inspect your brake lines for anything fishy after you remove each wheel.

This is the tire rotation diagram:

-----------------

Once you have completed rotating the tires move your oil drip pan under the oil drain plug on your Jeep.

Now take your 13mm socket and begin to loosen the drain plug, make sure the Jeep has been off for a while before doing this otherwise your hand will get scalded by oil.

Remove the plug by hand once it is loose so it doesn't shoot off and get dirty or lost, and let the oil flow.

After about 10 minutes the oil should have slowed to a slow drip, go ahead and reinstall the drain plug. After you have done that, scoot the oil pan under the oil filter area.

Now get up, grab your oil filter wrench, and remove the filter (working from the top gives you more leverage and avoids the chance of you getting splashed with oil).

Once you have removed the filter, let the oil in it drain into the pan and put it in the new filter box.

Now take your finger, get it nice and wet with the used oil in your pan, and run it along the rubber seal on your new filter. This will prevent damage to the filter's seal when installation occurs.

Reinstall the new filter by hand, DO NOT use the oil filter wrench- anymore than hand tight can damage the filter seal! You do NOT want this to happen, trust me, it creates a giant pool of oil when you go to start the Jeep. :nono:

Now open the oil cap, insert your funnel and begin to pour (6 quarts to start).

While you let the oil settle, check your transmission fluid.

Also, if you feel so inclined while waiting, add your fuel system cleaner at this time. Remember, you must have a full tank in order to add the cleaner, if you don't- after the service is complete let your 'test drive' be to a gas station to fill up and add the cleaner.

OK, at this time check the oil level with the dipstick, check it at least twice.

If everything checks out reinstall the oil cap, start the Jeep and let it run for a few minutes, this lets the new oil cycle into the motor. After a few minutes, shut it off and check the oil a few more times, I had to add another 500mL (1/2 quart)- and you may need to as well- this is where the 7th quart comes in handy.

Now for the last step, to turn off the 'CHANGE OIL' message you are getting, follow the following steps:

1- Turn your key to 'ON' (2 clicks forward)
2- Fully depress the gas pedal slowly, 3 times in 10 seconds.
3- Turn the key back to 'OFF' then all the way forward and start it, the message should no longer appear, if it does appear than you're doing it wrong.

-------

After all this is complete, go wheelin'! :2thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Great write up of basic service! I will say though I have never needed more than 6qts of oil and usually put 5.5 qts in then check it.

I've never done as much work on my vehicle as I have with the Jeep. It's awesome to be able to take pride in your own work and to know you can handle these jobs by yourself.

#4 ·
Great Job!

I just bookmarked this thread. Super job on the write up and I agree with the comments about taking pride in doing the job yourself. I'm no wrench, but knowing how easy a basic oil change will be certainly puts my mind (and wallet) at ease.

Thanks again for going through the trouble of documenting this so well. The pics were great and very helpful. :thankyou:

#5 ·
Great post, I just did this service myself last weekend...

If I can make ONE comment though, I'd try to rotate in the spare myself, as long as you have it all up on stands, shouldn't be too much more work...

Go here(Figure G), almost at the bottom of the page for the diagram (tirerack.com).

:thumbsup::thumbsup::cheers2:

#7 ·
Excellent write up -- thanks.

Try Pure One filter instead of FRAM. :)

#10 ·
Nice write up...

I've been using the Fram Tough Guard oil filters on my TJ for years now. I'll just have to memorize the new part # for my JK now.

TG3614, TG3614, TG3614, TG3614, TG3614, ... just committing it to memory. :laugh:

#12 ·
I've been using Frame filter on my 2wd Ranger PU for the last 16 years (PH3600). The engine is still ticking after +250K miles. I think the key is changing the oil and do maintenance on a regular basis.

One thing nice doing oil change on the JK is plenty of clearance underneath the Jeep.

#18 · (Edited)
I do not want to offend anyone as this is a great write up but I have to include some things. The automatic transmission fluid has to be checked with the engine running. I would push that step to after the oil is checked with the engine running and make sure to check that the oil filter gasket came off with the old filter. This will make a mess also!! Otherwise thanks for a great photo step by step tutorial. Good work ZonaJeep:2thumbsup:

#19 ·
#21 ·
Isn't that what it is about. To help someone when something is missed or incorrect. That way everyone will know the correct way to do things if a mistake was made. Thats how you learn things. If you like to do things wrong, be my quest and continue to do so.

#31 ·
Hey good thread but if i could put in my 2 cents. With the car so new theres no real need to use full synthetic oil. When you start using that you should continue for the life of the car. Save some money and just use regular oil. And for the greasing question if theres a zert fitting then you should grease every oil change since your already under there. I don't remember if you should lift the tires off the ground or not but i know you should only put a little grease. To much and you will bust the seal and it will run all out. Stop before you see it coming out the sides.

#39 ·
I just wanted to say thanks to ZonaJeep. The great post and step by step allowed me to do my first oil change ever. My girlfriend kept asking who that man was under that Jeep turning a wrench.

:thankyou:
Glad to be of service. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.