How much weight can tailgate handle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How much weight can tailgate handle?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Reply
Unread 05-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
JeremyKay
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ottawa, Kansas
Posts: 3
How much weight can tailgate handle?

I have a 2013 JK Sport and am new to the Jeep world. So please feel free to chastise me now as I ask this question. Of course one of my first upgrades is going to be a mild lift 3.5"-4" and wanting to run 35" tires. I live in Kansas and there really isn't anywhere nearby to get me in any more trouble than that can get me out of.... Anyways, I'm seeing all these high dollar bumpers for oversized tires, but I've also found some kits for the factory tire mount for oversized tires. My real question then is this, what is the maximum combined weight of wheel / tire that the factory tailgate can safely handle? I thought I had read somewhere that it was 95 lbs, but I can't quote that as being 100%. Thank you.

JeremyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler
 
RockyClymer's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,395
First, a 3.5 to 4 inch lift is not mild for a JK, it can be considered excessive, esp for 35 inch tires and expect to shell out around $4k for a proper lift...do a bit of research at this forum and you will find that a modest 2 to 2.5 inch lift may meet your needs for a lot less money and hassle. IMO, if you hang a heavy 35 inch tire off the stock rear gate and wheel it heavy you can expect problems, but, there are some clever and inexpensive work arounds, again, if
you search, study and learn padawan.
__________________
08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
AngryRedBird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 591
True there are many who will argue this point because Jeep's owners manual indicates that 50 lbs is the max load.. while other sites have suggested that the max weight is more like 200 lbs.. But seeing how your asking about tires.. The 33's would prob be right at the limit.. after which I would consider a bumper spare tire system. So when you say 95 lbs.. your prob right in that respect. Lets just say I'm not willing to test this theory.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
JeremyKay
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ottawa, Kansas
Posts: 3
So would a 2"-2.5" coil spring lift be better than a body lift? I know that leaves it to preference, but I would like to be able to do some mild off roading. I also noticed that with a body lift, there's a gap between the body and stock bumper on photos I've seen. I do plan to eventually change out bumpers as well, but just can't see paying $900-$1000+ for a bumper with a swing gate added. The more I look the more 33's sound better and better. Thanks again, and I am already looking forward to having this Jeep paid off so I can afford another!!
JeremyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORCAL/NORNV
Posts: 4,437



Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
First, a 3.5 to 4 inch lift is not mild for a JK, it can be considered excessive, esp for 35 inch tires and expect to shell out around $4k for a proper lift...do a bit of research at this forum and you will find that a modest 2 to 2.5 inch lift may meet your needs for a lot less money and hassle. IMO, if you hang a heavy 35 inch tire off the stock rear gate and wheel it heavy you can expect problems, but, there are some clever and inexpensive work arounds, again, if
you search, study and learn padawan.
Righton-keep the faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKay View Post
So would a 2"-2.5" coil spring lift be better than a body lift? I know that leaves it to preference, but I would like to be able to do some mild off roading. I also noticed that with a body lift, there's a gap between the body and stock bumper on photos I've seen. I do plan to eventually change out bumpers as well, but just can't see paying $900-$1000+ for a bumper with a swing gate added. The more I look the more 33's sound better and better. Thanks again, and I am already looking forward to having this Jeep paid off so I can afford another!!
The JK/JKU, no matter what year--will support up to 38" tires EASY/w a 2.5" lift-

All the real clearance is in wheels/BackSpace/fenders/spacers-

All the REAL costs are in shocks/springs/axles/bumpers/regearing-

There ain't nomore free lunch's-

Good luck

JIMBO
__________________
Yellow Jeep No. 683
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...10-snow027.jpg
--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
AngryRedBird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 591
Aw crap Jimbox.. I missed the free lunch! well actually.. if we are camping and we know who you are upon request.. there is a free lunch waiting for you..
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today
 
DangFoo's Avatar
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,766
If you don't want the expense of a bumper-carrier, then I recommend the TeraFlex reinforcement kit. I have a JKU with bumper-carrier and then a JK with the Teraflex. I prefer the much cheaper Teraflex kit, because it eliminates the stress (sagging or popped welds) concern at a reasonable cost. The factory support arms are removed and replaced with a stronger mechanism that spreads the weight and is secured to the tub/body.

Some of the aftermarket bumpers look nice, so if you're going for aesthetics, then there's just as much argument for replacing the stock setup. Just offering a more cost effective option, which I believe runs about $450 (forget, as I'm traveling ... Quadratec sells them).
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORCAL/NORNV
Posts: 4,437
It's a good day in the neighborhood-


Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRedBird View Post
Aw crap Jimbox.. I missed the free lunch! well actually.. if we are camping and we know who you are upon request.. there is a free lunch waiting for you..
Heh Heh, well ARB--you'll have to goto the Northern Sierras and we'll try for trout for Breakfast, actually never have time for real lunch, but steak/corn/ pie for dinner-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
If you don't want the expense of a bumper-carrier, then I recommend the TeraFlex reinforcement kit. I have a JKU with bumper-carrier and then a JK with the Teraflex. I prefer the much cheaper Teraflex kit, because it eliminates the stress (sagging or popped welds) concern at a reasonable cost. The factory support arms are removed and replaced with a stronger mechanism that spreads the weight and is secured to the tub/body.

Some of the aftermarket bumpers look nice, so if you're going for aesthetics, then there's just as much argument for replacing the stock setup. Just offering a more cost effective option, which I believe runs about $450 (forget, as I'm traveling ... Quadratec sells them).
I've heard of a lotta success from that Teraflex kit and some not so good, I think because of to big/heavy tirecombo-

My Bumper cost $260 and the "DownForce eliminator" about a buck-



They're never perfect, we just go down the list of eliminating problems-

Goodluck

JIMBO
__________________
Yellow Jeep No. 683
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...10-snow027.jpg
--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler
 
RockyClymer's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,395
JIMBO had your bolt/nut solution in mind as the clever solution.
__________________
08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
duneslider
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Riverton, Utah
Posts: 606
I have had a heavy 33 or a 35 on my tail gate for almost 8 years now and I haven't had any problems. I have not been dragging my spare on stuff either though. I don't think it would hold up at all if you drop down on a rock.

So, I bet you will be fine running a 35 on the back if you are careful not to drop down on stuff.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORCAL/NORNV
Posts: 4,437
Everybodys gotta story-


Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
I have had a heavy 33 or a 35 on my tail gate for almost 8 years now and I haven't had any problems. I have not been dragging my spare on stuff either though. I don't think it would hold up at all if you drop down on a rock.

So, I bet you will be fine running a 35 on the back if you are careful not to drop down on stuff.
So to be safer, drive only on NEW freeways and never hit any "POTHOLES" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
JIMBO had your bolt/nut solution in mind as the clever solution.
Thanx RC, it doesn't provide much WEIGHT support, but eliminates vertical vibration and "JIGGLES"-

5 years of off-road use--no tailgate trauma !

jimbo
__________________
Yellow Jeep No. 683
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...10-snow027.jpg
--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
duneslider
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Riverton, Utah
Posts: 606
Have you seen any failures from having a 33-35 on the tail gate? I have heard a lot of people say you shouldn't do it but I haven't seen any evidence of issues. My tail gate isn't deformed and there is no sign of metal fatigue?

Sure, I have seen a few post of guys who have hit the tires on the rocks and that will mess up the tail gate.

Mine doesn't make any noises and doesn't seem to jiggle much, if at all.

Don't get me wrong, I think a heavier duty carrier is good but I really haven't seen any evidence that the stock tail gate can't handle a 33-35" tire. All I am saying is that I haven't seen an actual failure, just my cousin's uncle's neighbor says it will fall off while you drive on the highway yet nobody has pictures.

The stock rubi wheels and tires are about 75#, I have 35x12.5r15 so I am at about 60 per tire and 20-25 per wheel. So, 80-85#. I think the 17wheel combo is 10-15lbs or more heavier though so probably getting near 100#. Maybe that is why I have been fine all these years. Maybe mine will fall off on my drive home on the freeway today.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
67alecto
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKay View Post
I live in Kansas and there really isn't anywhere nearby to get me in any more trouble than that can get me out of....
Looks like Kansas Rocks is about 90 minutes from Ottawa, KS:

http://www.ksrockspark.com/

Plenty of mischief to be had there.
__________________
2007 Sahara Unlimited
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORCAL/NORNV
Posts: 4,437
OK, so I guess we'll assume that you won't take any advice unless you've personally OBSERVEDIT !


Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Have you seen any failures from having a 33-35 on the tail gate? I have heard a lot of people say you shouldn't do it but I haven't seen any evidence of issues. My tail gate isn't deformed and there is no sign of metal fatigue?

Sure, I have seen a few post of guys who have hit the tires on the rocks and that will mess up the tail gate.

Mine doesn't make any noises and doesn't seem to jiggle much, if at all.

Don't get me wrong, I think a heavier duty carrier is good but I really haven't seen any evidence that the stock tail gate can't handle a 33-35" tire. All I am saying is that I haven't seen an actual failure, just my cousin's uncle's neighbor says it will fall off while you drive on the highway yet nobody has pictures.

The stock rubi wheels and tires are about 75#, I have 35x12.5r15 so I am at about 60 per tire and 20-25 per wheel. So, 80-85#. I think the 17wheel combo is 10-15lbs or more heavier though so probably getting near 100#. Maybe that is why I have been fine all these years. Maybe mine will fall off on my drive home on the freeway today.
Have you ever actually been in an armed bank robbery ??

If not, then why believe that is A BAD IDEA ?

You're advising to go ahead and put larger tires on the stock spare tire carrier, no matter what the advice of the avg to heavy 4 wheelers on this forum advise, because you haven't personally experienced it ??

I'm afraid I can't condone/agree with YOUR advice--but that's just me !

JIMBO
__________________
Yellow Jeep No. 683
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...10-snow027.jpg
--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Have you seen any failures from having a 33-35 on the tail gate? I have heard a lot of people say you shouldn't do it but I haven't seen any evidence of issues.
Actually there have been at least a couple of posts/threads with pics showing tailgate damage from larger spare tires in that range. Most have been from popped spot welds.

Iím not sure but most likely they were due to not properly using the correct tailgate bump stops. In that case the tire will vibrate constantly, there for damaging the tailgate and/or cracking the OEM tire carrier.

I ran a 35 along with heavier than stock wheel without issues for quite a while on my dear departed í08 JKUR but I also had the correct tailgate bump stops installed too.
__________________
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.