How much to replace Transfer Case Shift Cable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How much to replace Transfer Case Shift Cable?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 10-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
JKHammer

How much to replace Transfer Case Shift Cable?

Hey all...picked up my (new to me) Rubicon first thing this morning and already managed to break the transfer case shifter cable. I am comforted by the fact that this appears to be quite common.

The dealer I bought the Jeep from is 3 hours from me so I don't care to dick around with the warranty for something like this, at least I think. How much would this cost to be replaced at the dealer. It seems many have been replaced under warranty, but anyone had to pay?

Anyone have access to a Mitchell Labor Guide to tell me what to expect? Is there a better cable option? I must be talented as I appear to have broken both ends of my cable at the same time. It's busted at the transfer case and at the shifter apparently.

Thanks in advance.

JKHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What is usually broken is just the small plastic clip that holds the cable in a bracket right next to the Tcase - the bracket costs about a buck or so - I carry two spares with me just in case - the dealer wants to replace the whole cable - I guess they get more money for this - a lot of us just use a zip tie to hold it in place. I would have to question if the entire cable is broken...just my 2 cents.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
JKHammer

I questioned it too...and I am familiar with the clip...definitely broken on the transfer case end. I think it's broken on the shifter end too simply because I can grab the cable end from under the Jeep and move it back and forth with no resistance and no movement of the shifter.

Also if my wife works the shifter back and forth with me holding the cable end under the truck...nothing happens.....so me being the genius that I am....I figure it's broken..what do you think?

I have a part 2 to the question...I am currently stuck in 4 High range....should I be able to tap the lever on the t-case and knock it up into 2wd? Will it need to be in neutral or drive or anything like that?

I'd like to make it drivable again without being in 4High.

Thanks.
Unread 10-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

How hard or easy is it to break it?
Unread 10-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You could try and shift it manually into 2wd - usually I need to be moving though at a couple of mph as it can be hard to get out of 4wd.
How hard or easy? If you force it you will or can break it.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
perryhooah
2008 JK Wrangler 

I actually just did that a couple weeks ago. Was on a trail and the clip broke as I was shifting into lo range (as I wet through Neutral, so I was 'stuck" in neutral). I crawed underneath, braced myself on the ground, and used one hand to rock the Jeep a little (relieve pressure on the gears/line up next set) and manually shifted it so that I could drive it home (was in 4 hi). once home, got under it again, and shifted again into 2 hi so I could drive to the dealer for a warranty repair. was not hard, just have to be careful rocking the Jeep while under it (I used a chock block, but instead of pushing it tight against the tire, left a few inches so I could move it, but it couldn't roll away)
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Can someone take a picture of exactly where this clip is located? And a part number
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
perryhooah
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have not seen this clip, though I prolly oughta buy a few... like I said, just shifted it manually from underneath, so I would actually like to know as well!
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here are some pictures in another thread on the same subject > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/4...ml#post9463189

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
jpg0511
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I just had to bring mine in and they replaced the clips at both ends under warrenty. I did not even feel them break. just went to shift back to 2wd and there was no resistance. It is a pain to shift manualy because of where the shifter is but rocking the jeep helps. I would let the dealer fix it because the console has to come out to get to the shifter. Let them fix it and get you a spare clip while you are there.
92 XJ 6 1/2 RC lift plus 2in BB, 35x12.5 Mud Rovers m/ts Aussie front D30 and Powertrax locker C8.25 rear, Rusty HD steering, RC control arm drop brackets, Nates rear bumper, HD SYE, YJ brake lines, Transfer skid plate, Nates slim line front bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, converted A/C to onboard air, Rino lined Floor boards
06 TJ stock gone
08 JK Rubicon 3in Zone lift, 35x12.5x17KM2s 1.5 wheel spacers, Super Chips programmer
jpg0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
JKHammer

Ok...so I am not one who enjoys a life filled with patience so I decided to tear into this rather than wait for the dealer. Here is what I have found.....the clip on the shifter end is destroyed and literally almost dust in the console when I got it off.

I think this should be done to the Jeep engineer that designed this clip....it's pathetic.

YouTube - You know why!

Now on the transfer case end, my clip is still salvageable for now, but it's broken. I have it held on with a zip tie for today so I could get the Jeep back into 2wd, which I did.

I have the shifter end fixed with a washer and an e-clip but without the bushing the pin is sloppy and I don't really feel good leaving it like that even though it seems to shift fine. I am going to get replacement bushings for it and then see if my washer and e-clip will still fit. The bushing may still break in the future, but the cable would not be able to come off and should allow shifting, albeit maybe a bit clunky.
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
goofball
2013 JK Wrangler 

Has anybody came up with a different way to secure this? What a really poor design on such an awesome product!...
goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
txdutt
2009 JK Wrangler 

our transfer cable clip broke a few weeks ago the morning we were going to leave on a 900 mile trip towing the Jeep with the motorhome, managed to hold the cable in place on the linkage while the wife shifted it into neutral. Called the dealer in TX where we were going to stay and they got us in after we arrived & fixed it under warranty...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

if your breaking them.......well then you aint shifting it right! thats why its there to break...

they dont want you forcing it..there is no syncronizer
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #15
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
if your breaking them.......well then you aint shifting it right! thats why its there to break...

they dont want you forcing it..there is no syncronizer
so why isn't this transfer case saving design used on older Jeeps then?

I don't buy that its to protect the case from poor shifting habits at all. The JK's case has the same attributes as the NP231s used in the older YJs, TJs and XJs, a synchronized 4-hi gear and a non-synchronized 4-lo gear.

These had resistance to shifting too just like the JK's 241, but they used a steel rod and never had issues. The cases survived just fine.

The JK has a plastic clip on the linkage for the same reason it has a wimpy steering stabilizer, and cheap garbage ball joints and wheel bearings and other inadequately designed parts - Much too excessive cost cutting.

I was pretty disappointed by this design, the clip looks like a tie-rod end off of my RC car.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broaken , clip , JK Wrangler , transfer case linkage , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.