how much oil do you burn? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > how much oil do you burn?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
JeepersCripes
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had to replace 2 07 engines in the past year (97k miles). Just dropped a 2010 (with only 1k miles on it) in it and doesnt seem to be burning as much. I am pretty pissed as Chrysler seems to know this is a problem, yet hasnt done anything about it. I know, I live in a fantasy world.

My mechanic told me that with the 07 engine, you have to change the oil every 3k miles.

JeepersCripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

3k oil changes keep oil companies in buisness. If I'm not mistaken, the manual says 6k between oil changes, and that was probably written by a corporate lawyer worried about covering the company from warranty claims.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #18
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepersCripes View Post
I had to replace 2 07 engines in the past year (97k miles). Just dropped a 2010 (with only 1k miles on it) in it and doesnt seem to be burning as much. I am pretty pissed as Chrysler seems to know this is a problem, yet hasnt done anything about it. I know, I live in a fantasy world.

My mechanic told me that with the 07 engine, you have to change the oil every 3k miles.
That's only because he knows most people don't check the dip stick between oil changes, and 6,000 miles is too long to go without checking.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
Sunburn
2007 JK Wrangler 

It's not a dipstick issue when the factory installed your rings upside down or had poor qc somewhere else. Your engine is guaranteed to fail.
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think running out of oil is most definitely a "dipstick issue".
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:04 AM   #21
Krieglok

I have a 2007 JK and I have had an oil loss issue starting around 55k miles. I currently have just under 70k miles on it. I check the oil every two weeks and notice the level dropping each time I check it. I would estimate it is using just under a quart every 1000 miles. I change the oil myself around 4000 miles.

The jeep runs fine and there are no oil leaks on the outside of the engine that I can see. I had a tune up done and the mechanic(not a Dodge dealer ) said the number three cylinder had an oil soaked plug. It was firing ok but the plug had oil on it. No check engine light, no smoke at the tail pipe and the jeep runs well. I asked that the PCV and EGR be checked as it sometimes can be a cause of high oil consumption if one of them is defective, Honestly, I dont know if the 2007 Jeeps have them or not.

I have a couple hundred miles left on my extended service plan. I am debating living with the oil use if the engine will contiue to work at least till 100k miles or taking it to the dealer to see if they can honestly address the problem. It seems to be an issue discussed extensively on other sites around the web. Any one have real answers on this?

TJ

2007 redrock auto JK 4dr(Hers), 2007 rescue green stick JK 4dr (His)
Krieglok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #22
ricku

As I asked in the other thread, what kind of oil comes in it from the factory ? Viscosity ? Real or synthetic ?
ricku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #23
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I am adding this to the engine oil threads:

The engine number is located on the rear of the block, just below the cylinder head, on the drivers side. There will be two sets of numbers. The first set is the engine number, the second set nearby is the last 8 digits of your VIN.

The second character in the engine number represents the manufacturing plant.

S = Saltillo
T = Trenton

Check your engines. Maybe we can see if the plant location has anything to do with engine failures.
Unread 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #24
Sunburn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I think running out of oil is most definitely a "dipstick issue".
Why does it seem like you have something to loose here? This is an enthusiast forum, not shareholder website sponsored and sanctioned by Chrysler.

If you really want to play the game and listen...then let someone flip a ring in your block; then you can be accuse of forgetting to check the oil, operator error, negligence, lack of maintenance, etc.

To everyone else who has issues, keep the blown engine, take it apart with a video camera and micrometer. You will get paid for your effort.
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #25
bigapplephx
2009 JK Wrangler 

Oil Consumption

09 JK Unlimited Rubicon, 11,500 miles.
3/4 of a qt low after 4300 miles. I use Mobil 1, 10w30.
bigapplephx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #26
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Not a drop between 3k oil changes.
Mobil 1 5w20 and Mopar filter.
I'm at about 23k right now and have driven it like I stole it since day one.
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #27
2010JKNJ

2010 JK Rubicon Unlimitted with 41,000 miles: When the jeep was brand new off the lot, it burned about a quart of oil between my 3k oil changes. I would add a half a quart at about 1500 miles. It progressibly got better and has only been about a quarter of a quart low at my 3k oil change. Its been holding like this now for the last 10,000 +/- miles. I never told the dealer and have always used Penzoil 5 20 with a fram filter. I also drove the jeep hard from the first mile off the lot. Too me, this is acceptable.
2010JKNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.