how much oil do you burn? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > how much oil do you burn?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
swoll50
2008 JK Wrangler 

how much oil do you burn?

i think im gonna take mine in and have the dealer check it out.

2008 JK, 21000 miles. i generally change my oil at 5000 miles and the last 2 times when ive gotten close to that point, when im coming to a stop light or anywhere else where the rpms drop back to an idle, the oil light will flash on for a few seconds. you bring the revs back up and the light goes off. i seem to notice quite a bit more valvetrain chatter as opposed to when it was brand new, too.

2008 Wrangler X - Steel Blue 3.73 - 6-speed - 35x12.50 Procomp Xtreme MTs - Olympic 4X4 Rock bumper - 2" XD Series BB

Blue Jeep Club Member #254
swoll50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What does the stick read?
Mine burns a little bit, but keeps enough to last ~5k per change
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
SilvRSpeedX3
2008 JK Wrangler 

My oil disappears too, over the summer it seemed to be 1qt every 1000 miles or so. Since its gotten cold im at a quart after about 2k miles. I have an 08 with 39k on it, seems to be a design flaw with the motors from what I've seen online
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
jbco
2009 JK Wrangler 

I am coming up on 19k on my '09 2 door and I do not burn any oil between changes at every 3 - 4k. I continue to have the dealer do it as long as they keep sending me coupons for oil changes @$17.95. I can barely do it for that myself. They use the Mopar filter and Mopar 5w-20 'synthetic blend' oil. Any time I have checked, the oil is very clean and I have never had to add a drop between changes. If your oil light is coming on at all, get it checked. If you are burning so much oil between regular oil changes that your oil light is coming on and you only have 21k miles, you either have a leak or a serious problem.
jbco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoll50 View Post
i think im gonna take mine in and have the dealer check it out.

2008 JK, 21000 miles. i generally change my oil at 5000 miles and the last 2 times when ive gotten close to that point, when im coming to a stop light or anywhere else where the rpms drop back to an idle, the oil light will flash on for a few seconds. you bring the revs back up and the light goes off. i seem to notice quite a bit more valvetrain chatter as opposed to when it was brand new, too.
Your statement makes me think you don't check the oil level. Do you ever check it?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
darg
2009 JK Wrangler 

The red light has actually nothing to do with the oil level. You would need to have such a low level, that the pump is sucking air to get a break down in pressure or the little bit oil left to circulate is getting cooked hot in an instant. I would rather guess worst case a bad oil pump or best case a hyperactive sensor.
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Your statement makes me think you don't check the oil level. Do you ever check it?
People who drain their oil for an oil change, and discover there is only a couple quarts in there, don't like that question.

Many have actually stated they don't believe they should have to check the oil level between oil changes.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Have I missed something? I’ve read this thread twice, quick though and it seams that the OP has never actually checked his oil level with the dipstick.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
nystrooper
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Oil problems

2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon with 42K miles. I was loosing oil at a quart every thousand mile. Blue smoke on start. Dealer replaced the engine. They had a small percentage of Jeeps with bad rings. Got the new engine, and now at 300 miles, my oil light started coming on. I stopped driving it and called the dealer. Turns out Jeep also has a batch of bad oil pumps out there in brand new engines. It's back at the shop today for repairs. Good thing I was still covered by the powertrain warranty.
nystrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

22,000 miles. I don't burn any noticable oil between changes. I check it every second or third fill up just because of threads like this.

No modern engine should burn oil at anything under 150,000 miles.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
swoll50
2008 JK Wrangler 

I worded that wrong. yes, i check my oil. Seems I burn about a quart every 5000 miles, which is still high, but not like some of yall. I think this is probably a sending problem since it only occurs at low revs and corrects itself with a load on the engine.

2008 Wrangler X - Steel Blue 3.73 - 6-speed - 35x12.50 Procomp Xtreme MTs - Olympic 4X4 Rock bumper - 2" XD Series BB

Blue Jeep Club Member #254
swoll50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
insanitize
Jeepin Old Man

2007 JK Wrangler 

60000 + mile on my 07 JK unlimited I change the oil every 3000 and I've never used/leaked burned much oil.
v8 some mods. lifted
and other assorted old iron
insanitize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
NorthRiver

My 2010 doesn't use any that my eye can detect on the dipstick. 11,000 miles on the clock.

I laugh at the guys that say "mine doesn't use a drop". Dudes must have some seriously calibrated eyes to be able to tell if its used a drop of oil.
NorthRiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

6500 on my 2010 and it was still full at the 6k change. My dealership runs $20 special on occasion as well. I normally do oil changes myself but I don't mind paying an extra 5 bucks to have someone else do it.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've run synthetic in mine when it was bought used at 16k. Since then I've had to add a quart every 3k miles. I then generally change my oil at 5k miles and generally my level is still full. I'll have to see this winter if lower temperatures affect my oil usage. I haven't talked to a dealer about it but from previous discussion my usage isn't outside of the normal range, just annoying.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.