How Much $$$? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
tylerd
2006 WK 

How Much $$$?

Ok,

I am hoping to get a new JK Sahara with in a month, and I was wondering if any of you could ball park the cost of building it up. I would like too..

Lift it, not a lot, but definitely want to lift it.
Bigger tires. Again, since I don't want a huge lift, probably want 33" tires, so what size lift would I need? Also, would I need new rims?
Finally, I would want a winch. I don't know if I would have to get a new bumper too or if I can just use the stock one, but I really want a winch.

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 04:22 PM
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

2.5" lift= ballpark around 200-400
33x12.50s will work without new rims so figure around 1000 bucks for that
a plate to mount winch around 60-200 depending on which one ya like
a winch 500-1200 depending of course
and if you decide to do a differ bumper 300-....
hope this helps
good luck, but look into a rubi if you are willing to go with the larger payments they are awesome
post #3 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
tylerd
2006 WK 

Ok, so if I went somewhat cheap, but conservative, it will be around 2,500-3,000. Not too bad. Just a lot of saving to do! I can't do it by myself, so I would have to have a shop do it, which will cost more. I have gotten lucky with the stock market right now, so maybe I will ask my Dad for a loan, invest it, and turn it into some money.

Need to get the Jeep first though!!!

Thanks wrestlerobx!

post #4 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

well with a decent set of tools and maybe a buddy to help out you could prbly do it yourself, I am not the most mechanically inclined person but i do all my own work and it generally turns out ok as long as i follow the instructions for the most part, this would size you about a grand or more after all is said and done
post #5 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 04:53 PM
motoxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerd View Post
Ok,

I am hoping to get a new JK Sahara with in a month, and I was wondering if any of you could ball park the cost of building it up. I would like too..

Lift it, not a lot, but definitely want to lift it.
Bigger tires. Again, since I don't want a huge lift, probably want 33" tires, so what size lift would I need? Also, would I need new rims?
Finally, I would want a winch. I don't know if I would have to get a new bumper too or if I can just use the stock one, but I really want a winch.

Thank you for your help.
get new bumpers, best upgrade that you can get. the stock ones are car bumpers
post #6 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
s1edneck700
2008 JK Wrangler 

do yourself a huge favor and buy a rubicon. everytime one passes me i'm blood sweat and tears over it. its worth the extra dough, take it from someone who is paying for his in college.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
tylerd
2006 WK 

I would love to get a Rubicon. But, I am only 16! My Dad is getting rid of his Navigator, because the monthly payment is insane. He is trying to get a new car and a car for me, since he won't want to drive me to football everyday this summer. I eventually have to pay him back, and I don't think HE will want to lay down the dough for something his 16 year old son will be driving back and forth to football, work and then school!

There is a used 2007 Sahara at a Lincoln dealer, and my Dad's friend owns, so he will be able to get an even better deal.

Hey, I am just glad to get car!! And eventually I will have the $$ to build it up.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
tylerd
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlerobx View Post
well with a decent set of tools and maybe a buddy to help out you could prbly do it yourself, I am not the most mechanically inclined person but i do all my own work and it generally turns out ok as long as i follow the instructions for the most part, this would size you about a grand or more after all is said and done
I have to find a friend that would be able to figure it out! Most of my friends drive their parents' Audis and Mercedes. They are more of the gamer type. I like to off-road, hunt, outdoors stuff. I will eventually save up enough to have a shop do it for me, and then I will buy it off my Dad.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 05:42 PM
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

i suppose whatever works for you

so i just checked your status and you are 16 right...im not want to be judgemental on age because im only 18 and pay for mine myself but thats a lot of money for someone still in high school. I really think that you should look into doing the work yourself because you will have some pride in your work and your jeep but hey that is just my opinion
oh and also it is the perfect time for you to learn how to do all the work yourself
post #10 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 PM
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you really wanna do it on a budget, stay away from the 2-2.5" lift. It'll fit 33's stock. You could add some daystar spacers (or a body lift) if you wanna lift it a bit to keep from rubbing at full stuff. They have some good articulation stock in my opinion. If you get some rubbing at full turn, then you could pick up some wheel spacers off ebay. I've heard reviews here that they're just as good, just without the name brand. And you could go buy a good 4-ton come-along and a couple tow ropes to replace your winch. Those'll all fit in the storage compartment in the back. I know because I have them.

I would also strongly advocate doing the work yourself, but that's just me.

I would think that every couple hundred saved helps a high schooler out.

I'm not saying you can't afford it, but when I was in high school I could not have afforded to drop $3k. This is how I would have done it if I had a jeep (but I didn't have parents that would buy me a almost new Jeep when I was in high school either). I got a hand-me-down '93 Impreza which I beat the hell out of every weekend.

- Fletcher: Oil Field Trash Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-27-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
tylerd
2006 WK 

Ok, I guess I will try to do everything myself first. Make a great life long hobby! My Dad can help me out a little bit, and if I screw it up, I can always have some one fix it for me. Thanks for the help. I will probably just get bigger tires for now, and not worry about the lift. Maybe do the spacers, or body lift. Definitely have to do my research.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 AM
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure what area you live in, but check into finding a local Jeep club. Those guys are always willing to help a brutha out. lol You can learn a lot about your vehicle by working on it yourself, and it'll pay off when you are out in the woods, out of cell range, and break down.

If you are looking to do this on a budget, I would stay away from the Sahara. Obviously, if money is no object, get a Rubicon, but the Sahara is mostly just cosmetic dress-up stuff that you don't really need. Save the money and buy an X and build it up the way you want it. If you look around, you can find an '07 X with the trailer towing package, which will get you the best gear ratio available that year.

2 XJs, a ZJ, a TJ, a JK . . . Now in an LJ!

RED JEEP CLUB #602
post #13 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
tylerd
2006 WK 

The only reason I would get the Sahara would be because there is a used one at a dealership, which one of my Dad's friend owns. My Dad is hoping to get a deal off of it. If we were to get a new one, it would be an X, no matter what. I will talk to him about the Rubicons though too, if we went new! I am getting excited about getting a car though. I am tired of taking the train to school everyday.

I have to look into the Jeep Club too. My Dad's IT guy at his company used to have a Wrangler, and he lifted it. I don't think he did it himself, but we could make a project out of it! I just think a 4 door Wrangler looks somewhat ***** when it is not jacked up a little bit!!

Thanks for the responses guys.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 AM
AFhockey31
2009 JK Wrangler 

just to chime in, good luck with whatever you do, but i must say CONGRATS to you on your maturity at your age.... i know most people MY age (28) that have to have the biggest thing, and you know youre just happy to get something no matter what it is.

good on you and props... someone needs to say it. what ever, which ever you get, youll be happy with. i bought a completely bare x and will be building it up. while getting a rubi would be nice, meh, for the price difference of a completely based out x, you can build something far more superior that extra 15k bucks haha
post #15 of 19 Old 03-28-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
tylerd
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFhockey31 View Post
just to chime in, good luck with whatever you do, but i must say CONGRATS to you on your maturity at your age.... i know most people MY age (28) that have to have the biggest thing, and you know youre just happy to get something no matter what it is.

good on you and props... someone needs to say it. what ever, which ever you get, youll be happy with. i bought a completely bare x and will be building it up. while getting a rubi would be nice, meh, for the price difference of a completely based out x, you can build something far more superior that extra 15k bucks haha

Haha, thanks man. Ya, I have been on the train and then a bus to school for the past two years, and it absolutely sucks. I am just happy to be able to drive myself around!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.