How much is an 08 sahara 4dr 135k mi worth? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How much is an 08 sahara 4dr 135k mi worth?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

That mileage is at least twice what it should be.

Every person selling a car, especially one with high milage, will claim it's all highway miles.

I bought my 2007 new and I am a tad shy of 65,000 miles, which further demonstrates the ridiculous miles.

To me, once past 100,000 miles, a vehicle loses substantial value kind of like the way a new vehicle loses value immediately after being sold.

There are far better deals out there.

Unread 10-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
That mileage is at least twice what it should be.
No kidding. I have a 2007 and it has only 46,000 miles or so. A year older and almost 1/3rd of the miles!
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
wedgetail

wow, you guys deal in low miles! Round here most people get rid of their vehicles at 350 - 400k km with a lot waiting till 500k. I know that's km but i'm still surprised you are so concerned about just distance travelled. I think other factors are hugely important like services, type of miles and even how long it's been sitting undriven.

I'd take a vehicle that's done 150k with regular long distance driving with services every 5000 km over one the same age that has a sketchy service record having done a quarter of the km. The work vehicles (hzj75 landcruisers) i maintain on this farm have all done about 270k km, but if i had to choose between one of them and one on 500k from in town for the same price I'd choose the latter easily, it probably would have been driven for a lot less hours. I think an extremely useful buyers aid for 4wds would be an hour meter. You can knock up masses of hours driving slow (<10 mph) in "extreme conditions" (dealer's term) but have little to show on the odo. Or knock up heaps of miles with a high average speed and have less vehicle ware.

Maybe this jk has a very high average speed... Does it have a full service record? What is the oil like? How worn is the driver's seat and door rest? How do the axle bearings and suspension bushes and UJs check out? Does is present well? If all ok I wouldn't write it off.

Having said all that the shear miles DO lower the market value a lot
wedgetail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
wow, you guys deal in low miles! Round here most people get rid of their vehicles at 350 - 400k km with a lot waiting till 500k.
I probably will too - it's just going to take a while. Last year I drove about 6,000 miles (:

Quote:
Maybe this jk has a very high average speed... Does it have a full service record? What is the oil like? How worn is the driver's seat and door rest? How do the axle bearings and suspension bushes and UJs check out? Does is present well? If all ok I wouldn't write it off.
Sure. Those are all important issues - along with "how many miles does it have?"

If I can get something with half the miles (and everything that entails) at the same price, of course that's what I'm going to get.
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #20
wedgetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Sure. Those are all important issues - along with "how many miles does it have?"

If I can get something with half the miles (and everything that entails) at the same price, of course that's what I'm going to get.
Yeah absolutely - the miles are certainly a big factor. But they aren't the whole picture, in fact maybe not even the most important one. And high miles alone wouldn't be enough to get me worried.
wedgetail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow *L* my wifes car bought new in 2010 Scion Release series 7.0 just rolled 8,000 miles. Dealer appraised it the other day at 13K (new was 22,000) car has seen more of Garage time than anything.. Me on the other hand my 2012 JKU bought in Feb2012 is about to hit 10,000. Jeeps really hold there value unlike Scion.
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #22
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
Yeah absolutely - the miles are certainly a big factor. But they aren't the whole picture, in fact maybe not even the most important one. And high miles alone wouldn't be enough to get me worried.
If it were the old 4.0L I would not worry a bit, but on any V6 engine I would steer away.
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue

If it were the old 4.0L I would not worry a bit, but on any V6 engine I would steer away.
Any v6? I don't know about that. I've seen so many ford 4.0l v6 engines (ohv) running around with well over 200k miles with basic routine maintenance. Actually I own one and drive it 50% of the time, while I'm at work. This is the fourth one that I've personally owned with high mileage. Same with the old 3.0 v6.

A Chrysler/jeep v6 though, I agree. I wouldn't be interested with that mileage myself.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

True.. "Any" beign a nice way of not tring to start a 3.8 vs. 3.6 argument but you are correct with the Ford engine. That being said with that many miles if the 3.8 is stil running good I wiould consider it but price would have to be a bit lower.
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

It's not just the engine though. With that many miles, I'd really be concerned about the transmission dying at any time - not to mention all the other wear items.

The bottom line is that unless it is FANTASTICALLY CHEAP, you're almost certainly going to get a better deal on something else.
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

My comment about the miles was not to say that I would never consider a vehicle with over 100,000 miles. The point is I would not pay nearly the same price as a vehicle sold for new if it already has over 100,000 miles. The mileage reduces the value substantially, but does not reduce the value to zero. Besides the engine, there is the transfer case, differentials, driveshafts, wheel bearings, all of the rotating accessories on the engine such as air conditioning, even bushings, etc. The entire vehicle is high mileage, not just the drive train. We all know that ball joints on a JK are garbage for example, so the excessive mileage means they are closer to failure than a JK with less than half those miles. There is also the argument that there are plenty of other JK's and indeed, Jeeps for sale. They are plentiful. There is no need to pay an excessive amount of money for something when you can get the same thing but in better condition and less miles for the same or less money, unless of course you have money coming out of your butt and have more dollars than sense. For that kind of money, you can get almost get a basic brand new sport, with the better engine I might add, not to mention a warranty and no worry about a history of abuse.

I bought my JK new in July of 2007 because most of the Jeeps in my area have been mudded and rolled so much that they have become one of the vehicles that buying used is risky. My last Jeep was a 95 YJ. I bought it used around 1999 only to find out later that it had been severely rolled and abused, so much so that when I replaced the soft top that was falling apart with a hard top, it would not fit because the tub was twisted. I had to get creative with C-Clamps to get things to pulled square enough so the top would line up enough to drill holes and bolt the top on in a bind. It was that experience that made me swear off used Jeeps and used four wheel drives, but not necessarily used cars.
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have 100K miles on my 2008. They are hard miles w/ ~ 20K off road. My JK is well maintained, well modified & very well maintained. I looked at trading it in & starting over w/ new Jeep. But, the 2 dealers I went to only offered $18K for a trade in. So, you are right when a vehicle hits 100K miles everyone looks at it differently. My jeep runs great. I have the engine for life warranty. Now, I don't know if that will be honored or not; but I'm keeping my jeep for now. If my engine or trans dies and they are not covered under warranty for whatever reason, I'll replace them. There are lots of slightly used ones around because a lot of people swap in Hemi's. I know, too much information.

So, if you are worried about the miles on the jeep you are looking at, don't buy it.
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #28
TJsport33s

2013 JK Wrangler 

The resale value of these Jeeps is just too high but I guess the demand keeps the price high. In my opinion and like others have said such as Prot, why pay that much money for something that is potentially wore out. If you are paying cash then you are in control. If you are going to finance look at the total cost of the vehicle and I bet you would save money if you bought new or at least newer with only a few thousand miles. If you are financing, before you get it paid off you most likely will have some major expenses or want to get rid of it to avoid spending big money. Then who will want your old one. Someone will and the cycle repeats as the market for Jeeps is crazy.
TJsport33s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #29
saddis
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
No.

Yes.

No doubt. But I wouldn't pay more than $3K for any TJ. To me, it isn't worth any more than that. To someone else, one might be worth $100K.

It all goes back to what I said - it's worth exactly and precisely what someone is willing to pay for it.

By a similiar notion, someone can "appraise" something at whatever price they want, but until it actually SELLS at that price, it's only worth what someone is actually prepared to give you upon acceptance of their offer.
I know you said YOU would'nt pay more the $3,000 for a TJ, but when my 06 X was stolen this past dec. My insurance company paid out almost $22,000! I did not have extra ins on it either.
Just sayin!
Unread 10-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #30
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddis View Post
I know you said YOU would'nt pay more the $3,000 for a TJ, but when my 06 X was stolen this past dec. My insurance company paid out almost $22,000! I did not have extra ins on it either.
Well, like I said - worth exactly and precisely what someone will pay.

I was thinking about this when I was driving around today, and I concluded that even $3000 is too much. I really shouldn't pay more than $2K for one, if that.

And, just an update on my previously posted mileage. I noticed today that I have 48K miles, not 46K. My - how time flies! (:

I wonder if I could report my 2007 JK stolen and get $22K for it.......hmmm...that'd be nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.