How many people carry extra fuel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many people carry extra fuel

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 01-30-2014, 03:13 AM   #1
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

How many people carry extra fuel

I have a OR-Fab carrier with can mounts. I have had the carrier for 2 years and still haven't gotten around to buying cans for it. I am thinking just going to the non-can version because I like the carrier but would like to bring the spare in closer to the body.

It got me thinking overall and I was looking at different rotopax setups. There are some cool ideas out there but I was wondering how many people actually carry fuel and use it. I have been lucky enough that I have only had one time on the trail where I would have liked to have had fuel with me. I guess in that thinking one time without fuel is one time too many.

Unread 01-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I carry only 2 gallons, inside in a rotopax container. I have never used it, even roaming around Utah/Arizona/Nevada etc. But I make a point to fill up frequently if I'm exploring somewhere unfamiliar.
Even if I never use it, I feel good having a couple gallons in case someone else needs it.
Ideally I'd like to carry 4 gallons or so outside, but that won't be until I get a rear bumper/tire carrier.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Gojo03
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the same setup with jerry cans. I picked up a couple cans at Jeeptoberfest and have used them a couple times. I got this so I didn't have to carry fuel inside the jeep again. Like for the boat or lawnmower! Every once in a while I'll put some in when I go wheeling, one time I wished I would have had some with me, but haven't had to use it on the trail.
Gojo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

I was trying to think of the departure angle and all the weight of two 5 gal cans and the heavy 37 on there. I did see a can style toolbox of sorts but that thing isn't cheap.

I like an idea I saw of mounting a 1.75 of water and gas on the inside of the tailgate. I never have my windows in anyways, especially when wheeling.
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Gojo03
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have hit my spare a couple times, now I try to take it off and throw it in back when I pull my discos off. The angle is much better without the spare. I haven't thought much about the weight. My front is heavier with the winch and bumper than it is on the back so maybe it helps balance it out more? Who knows. Most of the time the jugs are empty anyway. I think I lost about 1/4" on the lift when I put all that on the Jeep
Gojo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

I did when I had my JK. I carried 4 gal in rotopax

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Only IF i am on trails that it is needed. That is few.
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
cgflyer
2007 JK Wrangler 

I carried two jerry cans on the back of my 87 Wrangler while driving down the Alaskan Highway one January years back. Though the road is maintained, using the "Milepost" magazine that provides all the services along the way did not say that many fuel stops were closed in the winter. Late one night, running on fumes my options ran out, and thankfully I had the ten gallons with me that got me to the next service opportunity.

I still use the fuel can rig to go get the mower fuel and keep it out of the back.
cgflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

I will carry the 10 gal fuel caddy on my AEV tire carry
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:53 AM   #10
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

All depends upon where I am going - going with others - a thru trail or a dead end trail - If I am on a "dead end" trail when I get to the point that 1/2 of the fuel in the jeep OEM tank is gone - I turn around - the extra fuel - at least in my case - is not to go further but to serve as a reserve in case of an emergency. just because it was easy getting in does not mean it will necessarily be just as easy getting out. So in answer to your question I almost always carry extra fuel when I am going off road - how much depends upon my destination and who is or is not going with me.
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 02:46 AM   #11
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I keep 3 gals with me at all times.
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've had this setup for several years now and honestly it is one of my favorite mods (one of my first mods too).

There have been plenty of trips that have warranted having an extra 10 gallons on hand. I don't carry extra fuel every time, only on certain trips where I know fuel stations are few and far between.

I like others have found it convenient for carrying lawn tractor fuel home. This is probably how I utilize the carrier the most.

If you didn't purchase the cans already good luck finding them now. Blitz stopped making the metal cans. You can still get the adapters from OR-FAB to run the NATO style cans.
OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:14 AM   #13
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

People are just now marketing Blitz style cans. They are close to that same price of 100
Unread 01-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
I will carry the 10 gal fuel caddy on my AEV tire carry
Same here; I will only fill it if Iím going on a camping trip or plan on doing some serious exploring where Iíll be out from early dawn to late at night and there no towns around for miles to refuel.
Unread 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm about to mount a 3 gallon rotopax to my spare. Mostly because of a Big Bend trip I'm taking in May. It's so remote, I figure better safe than sorry.
Lenny7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.