How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Closed Thread
Unread 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #91
bakes101
2013 JK Wrangler 

Huh?
Never called them ignorant nor did I imply they were ignorant.
Simply stated I still heard the problem after a 2 day repair.
And ofc I would have to pay up to get a new model.
Wasnt a lemon law situation.
They worked with me pretty well on keeping the cost of the new upgraded one reasonable.

You have issues bud. Whats up with the CAPS lol?

Bottom line is that IMO the engine issue is alot more of an issue then what I think alot of people want to believe.
Either that or the service manager(and gm)at my dealership lied about the allocation of only one per week due to what they said was a nation-wide issue.

bakes101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #92
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Drove my 2013 unlmited off the lot today. That Penastar has some really good power, even for a 4-door.

Loving this thing

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #93
ccchris
2014 JK Wrangler 

49000kms on my 2012 and it thought everything was great. I waited to order my jeep to have the pentastar..
It's going in Monday for drive side head replacement. It had the engine light on a few times and the dealer flashed for mis-fire on cylinder 4 a few weeks ago but now they say it's the head..
ccchris is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #94
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoskah View Post
It's not casting sand. It's not the head at all. It's water trapped and boiling by the #4 valve seat. Chrysler thinks they understand the problem. They are building a new radiator cap and coolant tank that should fix the problem. The heads are nothing more than a bandaid!!!!
uhhh I have first hand experience with this and can tell you it is casting sand. Just the other day I replaced the heater core on a jk because of this. Coolant bottle full of sand along with radiator and heater core.

STAR case
Case Number: S1109000002

Release Date: 02/23/2011

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Poor heat from HVAC system

Diagnosis:
During verification if you find only one side (typically right side /passenger side) of the heater core is “hot’ (at least 150 deg F) the driver side/left may only be lukewarm, this condition may be caused by excessive accumulation of core sand in the heater core

Repair Procedure:
There has been some success with repeated flushing of the block with a chemical cleaner , in some cases removing the core plugs from the block and using a scraper to loosen any visible core sand. Replacing the heater core (and radiator, if it is determined to have a large amount of core sand in it as well) To prevent further contamination of the heater core, install a trap in the heater core supply hose, the one pictured above is made by a company named Gano Auto Coolant Filter Company phone 831-659-1961, The trap comes in two sizes small with hoses of 5/8” and large with hoses ¾” both have stainless steel filter screen inside the threaded coupling that can be removed an cleaned or replaced if necessary The heater core supply hose is 5/8 of inch (16.1mm) install the trap and flush the system until the majority of the core sand stops plugging the trap. If it plugs again at a latter mileage at least you will not contaminate the heater core and will have a trap to clean out
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #95
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakes101 View Post
Huh?
Never called them ignorant nor did I imply they were ignorant.
Simply stated I still heard the problem after a 2 day repair.
And ofc I would have to pay up to get a new model.
Wasnt a lemon law situation.
They worked with me pretty well on keeping the cost of the new upgraded one reasonable.

You have issues bud. Whats up with the CAPS lol?

Bottom line is that IMO the engine issue is alot more of an issue then what I think alot of people want to believe.
Either that or the service manager(and gm)at my dealership lied about the allocation of only one per week due to what they said was a nation-wide issue.
unfortunately this is true, we can only get one head a week.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #96
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

2012 Dozier. About to hit 3,000 miles. Automatic. I run this baby 75 miles an hour to work and back. I love to stomp it entering the interstate. Runs like a go kart on steroids! No problems but if I ever do have any my brother is a Dodge/Chrysler mechanic, unfortunately in another state.
zenman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #97
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine is fine, have had it about 8 months and 8k miles. Zero issues this far
Brightwhite is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #98
white_2003
1971 CJ5 

I have just done my 9k service. No problems to report.
Here's the service history:
500 mi oil change
1000 mi oil change
1000 mi diff, tranny, xfrcase oil change
3000 mi oil change, tire rotation, replaced air filter
6000 mi oil change, fluid inspections, tire rotation
9000 mi oil change, complete under carriage inspection along with fluids and steam clean, tire rotation

AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE DEALER SINCE THE DAY I ORDERED IT
'48 CJ2a currently under construction. (Wedding present)
white_2003 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #99
tiotaco
2012 JK Wrangler 

4000 carefree miles.
tiotaco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #100
cjsrebiff
2012 JK Wrangler 

Vibe

4000 miles with no problems. I did have an issue with a vibrating sound upon acceleration. It didn't happen all the time, but it was a bit annoying. Found it to be 2 pipes that run vertically behind the glove box (assume they are to the heater box as the are warm) were hitting together. I called the dealer and they had not heard of the problem before. So far fixed with a Ziptie.
cjsrebiff is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #101
JK4doors
2012 JK Wrangler 

12000 miles.....not a single issue w the motor. Sounds better now! Mileage is consistently 19 combined..... w my driving habits I'm really surprised....love it!
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #102
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_2003 View Post
I have just done my 9k service. No problems to report.
Here's the service history:
500 mi oil change
1000 mi oil change
1000 mi diff, tranny, xfrcase oil change
3000 mi oil change, tire rotation, replaced air filter
6000 mi oil change, fluid inspections, tire rotation
9000 mi oil change, complete under carriage inspection along with fluids and steam clean, tire rotation

AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE DEALER SINCE THE DAY I ORDERED IT
reason why you changed oil at 500 and 1000??

The dealer said they'll provide free oil changes for 2 years for me, but you think they would change it after 1000 miles?

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #103
TJsport33s

2013 JK Wrangler 

I have almost 3k miles and not the first problem. I would hope so! This is what I read on the Pentastar website:
Cylinder head failures (to mid-2012)

In June 2012, dealers reported that some engines had premature cylinder head failures, usually on cylinder 2. The problem seems rare considering the number of these engines produced, and nobody was stranded by the problem, which made itself known through the “check engine” light. Customers were generally given loaner cars while the issue was being resolved, though in some cases there was a considerable delay as Chrysler engineers sought root causes (which include “bad gas”) and an effective cure. A fix (hardened valve guides and seats) was engineered and entered production in June, and by mid-July, the backlog of replacement heads was being addressed, and all new heads were of the new design.
Most vehicles with this problem appear to be Jeep Wranglers, and a service bulletin was issued for Wranglers built before January 24, 2012 ([COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]MDH[/COLOR][/COLOR] 0124XX) seems to be designed to prevent “false positive” check-engine lights.
Any model year 2013 and newer car or Jeep or truck should have the new heads. A “Julian” build date of 2062 (the 206th day of 2012) stamped on the cylinder head shows that it is one of the newer types. The part numbers of the new heads are RL141353AC or higher (left side) and RL141352AD (right side).
TJsport33s is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #104
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok, so what about those of us with build dates between January and September-ish?
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #105
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

13000 miles and still running fine. The drivers side power window is clunky and noisy though!

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.