How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Closed Thread
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #61
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMud View Post
As much as I like the power of the pentastar,

mines at the dealer as I write this for a new oil pump.... I wonder how much damage THAT did to the engine in the long run.......

chrysler sucks, my fords and GM's never had the serious mechanical problems my two dodge trucks and my two jeeps have had. brakes, diffrentials, engine, electronic problems. I lemon lawed my 05 ram because it kept eating front gears.

I wish I could put a good ole' chevy 350 in my 2012 wrangler.
Hmmmm... My GMC Sierra was a horrific steaming pile of crap. My first VW TDI Jetta never went a full year without a major mechanical faliure.

Both of my JKU's have been mechanically perfect so far.

A sample of one does not make a trend. Neither does a cross section from a discussion forum!!!

I do believe there is a place that shoehorns 350's into Wranglers. I say go for it!!

paul84043 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #62
Rivet
1968 C101 

Well I had an early build (with the elusive Sahara Tan color). Got delivered August of last year and at 8k miles the check engine light came on. Then the thing started to spiral down the tubes from there. Finally after a hundreds of phone calls and months later, the Jeep is gone. So unless Jeep offers a diesel option I wont be back for a new one anytime soon. Ill just stick with my Buick powered Commandos.
Rivet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #63
bfraser9655
2012 JK Wrangler 

picked mine up in late march and not a single issues with it- 5804 miles on it now
bfraser9655 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #64
mountainkahn
2012 JK Wrangler 

About 5500 miles on mine, bought in late April, no problems... yet
mountainkahn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #65
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

7900 miles, still works perfectly.
ferninaz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #66
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet
Well I had an early build (with the elusive Sahara Tan color). Got delivered August of last year and at 8k miles the check engine light came on. Then the thing started to spiral down the tubes from there. Finally after a hundreds of phone calls and months later, the Jeep is gone. So unless Jeep offers a diesel option I wont be back for a new one anytime soon. Ill just stick with my Buick powered Commandos.
That really sucks. I just cannot believe that chrysler wouldn't do right here considering the fact that there are a number of owners who have this problem. Good luck!
LIJeepJC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #67
BManz
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMud View Post
chrysler sucks, my fords and GM's never had the serious mechanical problems my two dodge trucks and my two jeeps have had.
I've got a 2011 Grand Cherokee, Hemi 4x4, and it's been the most trouble free vehicle I've owned yet. One of my company's Hemi Ram 4x4s has 200,000 miles and runs like a Rottweiler on Red Bull. The Pentstar has an issue that is being resolved and is no different from any other manufacturer. I think it's due to some casting variance that made them design more margin in (the new head part #) to cover for imperfections that occur when casting modern complex heads. It isn't all Pentastars so this is a manufacturing defect rather than design issue as far as we know.

As for GM being better? LOL. Can't say the same for the GM vehicles I've had as they seem designed to eat alternators, cranks sensors, starters, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. just outside the warranty period -- suppose one could argue GM's junk is well-designed from that corporate profit point of view but not from the driver's seat, IMHO.
BManz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #68
derek92384
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mfg 11/11 with 7k on it. Knock on wood.
derek92384 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #69
Spike6901

9k HARD miles

My JK gets to drive in Houston traffic everyday and has been all over the mountians of Colorado and west texas deserts so I would say it has 600 miles of offroad use or more.

I have not had a single problem.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #70
basto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
Is that the 3.8 liter? Or its replacement? I read an article about the first jk's consuming a quart of oil about every 3000 miles. a friend of mine was looking at trading his expedition in on a 4 door jk, but I wasnt sure if that was a good idea. I think they should have left the old 4.0 in there.
I just traded my 2010 Rubi in on a 2013, it had 50k trouble free miles on it. I love the power on the pentastar vs. the 3.8 and if it is as reliable I will be very happy.
basto is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #71
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by basto

I just traded my 2010 Rubi in on a 2013, it had 50k trouble free miles on it. I love the power on the pentastar vs. the 3.8 and if it is as reliable I will be very happy.
Saw that in a ora mag by 4wheel parts. So what liter engine is the penstar? I still like my reliable 6 cylinder. 238,300 miles. The guy I got it from had mud caked all throufh the frame. Took a week to clean it all out.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #72
offcamber

Usually the problem doesn't start until around 12,000 miles. Mine ticked but ran fine until then. Head replacement fixed it but now at 20,000 miles, the tick is starting to come back on the driver side and the previously silent passenger side head is now almost as loud as my original drivers side head was. I'm guessing I'll be getting both replaced in the next 5,000 miles or so. I think it says a lot that the thread for those without problems is 5 pages long and there are multiple threads on multiple forums all over like 20 pages each. Doesn't say much for the "good" ones.
offcamber is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #73
JeepAA1ke
2012 JK Wrangler 

600kms and ...um...still going strong

image-780024113.jpg
JeepAA1ke is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #74
metaldemon7
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just did my first oil change at 2000 Miles. So far so good. 2012 sport with a build date of Jan 2012. There were some flakes in the oil filter, but it was the first change. Minor mechanical noises are all I hear so far. At least doesn't rattle loudly like my XJ has done for the past two years, and still does.
Only issue so far was a fuel sender when the low fuel light came on. (PO463-Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input) Took it to the dealer, and they dropped the tank. Checked all the connections, and put it back together. They didn't erase the code from memory though. I guess they did that so the check engine light wouldn't come back on. I erased it as soon as I got home, the light has come on four times since without a check engine light. It must have been a connection
metaldemon7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #75
WiChill
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just completed a 4000 mile family trip. Last week, 4 people loaded down ran down to ARK non stop from WI. Than we ran along the gulf coast. High heat lots of head winds a few days. Air running the whole time. Our 2012 Unlimited used no oil, worst MPG was 17 Best tank was 23. It worked out great for the the wife and my 2 teenage sons and I. Very happy with the Jeep and we really enjoyed the gulf and the wonderful people

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.