How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Closed Thread
Unread 07-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #46
AppSt59Dave
2012 JK Wrangler 

had mine since last September. 7k. No problems other than spending too much damn money on mods.

Unread 07-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #47
GSHOOP
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have had a tic in mine shortly after i drove off the lot. Just took it as a noise from having a motor without manifolds. I have just hit 10k. Other then a ticking it runs great.
GSHOOP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #48
nanoage

I just hit a little over 10k miles and my check engine light just came one. I am going to take it into the dealer on monday.
nanoage is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #49
Redangus2523
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 Sport, 4,677 miles first oil change today. No ticking. I am unimpressed with 5w30 engine oil though, this stuff is like water. I can hear some valvetrain noise (nothing bad), I feel like a higher viscosity engine oil would make it quieter. Getting 19.5mpg with 32" BFG Duratracs 3.73's. If I could keep my foot out of it I could probably get 20mpg.

No ticking like this video though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmQwkPE_CQ0

E-brake handle is garbage, mine always pops free when I have it locked on. I have an odd rattle in 4th and 6th gear when the engine is under heavy load, I'm waiting to see what develops.

I had various fasteners that were loose when I was changing the oil and checking the air filter. I am NOT thrilled about finding that.
Redangus2523 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #50
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012... August 30th 2011 drive off the lot date. No ticking. 21mpg highway. 15mpg around town. Mileage remains about the same. No issues! Use synthetic oil after initial oil change!!
durable1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #51
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHerman View Post
For people who have owned jeeps before, this probably won't turn them against the brand. It is a shame about the first-time owners that will be soured by this experience and will never get to find out how great an experience Jeep can be.
People seem to forget the Pentastar did not debut with the '12 Wrangler. It's been around for a while. It was in the Grand Cherokee along with almost a dozen other Dodge and Chrysler vehicles back in 2011. None of those vehicles have this problem. The ticking issue is obviously not systemic, being specific to Wrangler and within a narrow production window. For whatever reason, someone or something screwed up a batch of engines. It sucks, but sometimes it happens.
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #52
blackmomba
2012 JK Wrangler 

Got mine back today after having the head replaced. She runs 100% better, and I couldn't be happier. Haha oh and make sure you don't have mud in your alternator...doesn't look good when you tell them you haven't been off roading...
blackmomba is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #53
tcunningham1979

Mine was a first day build for the 12's. She's got 16k and is fine. She does have noisy injectors but nothing like some of the ticks I have seen in videos. I think some people hear the injectors and get over paranoid thinking their Jeep is falling apart after hearing stories from those with the problem. The ones with the actual problem would definitely know.
tcunningham1979 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #54
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
People seem to forget the Pentastar did not debut with the '12 Wrangler. It's been around for a while. It was in the Grand Cherokee along with almost a dozen other Dodge and Chrysler vehicles back in 2011. None of those vehicles have this problem. The ticking issue is obviously not systemic, being specific to Wrangler and within a narrow production window. For whatever reason, someone or something screwed up a batch of engines. It sucks, but sometimes it happens.
The heads are different on Wranglers from what I've heard.....

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/1.../page__st__200

Post 211 FYI
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #55
Apollo821
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just broke 3000 miles, no problems here!
Apollo821 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #56
jeepester12

4500 miles here no issues
jeepester12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #57
YjStrangler92

Is that the 3.8 liter? Or its replacement? I read an article about the first jk's consuming a quart of oil about every 3000 miles. a friend of mine was looking at trading his expedition in on a 4 door jk, but I wasnt sure if that was a good idea. I think they should have left the old 4.0 in there.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #58
jeepester12

to my knowledge old 3.8 its strong and runs great for me no issues to complain about
jeepester12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #59
JSingr

just passed 5000 miles with no issues..knock on wood
JSingr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #60
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

As much as I like the power of the pentastar,

mines at the dealer as I write this for a new oil pump.... I wonder how much damage THAT did to the engine in the long run.......

chrysler sucks, my fords and GM's never had the serious mechanical problems my two dodge trucks and my two jeeps have had. brakes, diffrentials, engine, electronic problems. I lemon lawed my 05 ram because it kept eating front gears.

I wish I could put a good ole' chevy 350 in my 2012 wrangler.
just getting started.....
MoreMud is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.