How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Closed Thread
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #451
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just heard back from the dealership. They're installing a new ignition coil first thing tomorrow morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it really is just an ignition coil, but I'm very skeptical at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
I have not seen so many of one make on the roads since the famous Ford pinto..................lol The Wrangler has to be the most sought after vehicle out there imo.
I have a theory about this. I think as a Jeep enthusiast one just notices other Jeeps more than other vehicles. I'd be willing to bet that there are way more Toyota Camrys on the road than CJ/YJ/TJ/JKs. The Camry is just such a boring, marginal, "Ill have plain white bread and a glass of room temp tap water for dinner" kind of car that you just don't notice them. But, camry is out there in full force... making man after man turn in his beloved man card in exchange for fuel economy, perceived reliability, and practicality. My boss for example... no man card, but has a baby blue camry. He loves it, nearly as much as he loves scented candles and chinese food. Says its "the best car ever". How sensible of him. I love what you do for me, Toyota.

Jeeps past 01 XJ, 08 JK, 11 KK
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #452
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHammers View Post
Just heard back from the dealership. They're installing a new ignition coil first thing tomorrow morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it really is just an ignition coil, but I'm very skeptical at best.

I have a theory about this. I think as a Jeep enthusiast one just notices other Jeeps more than other vehicles. I'd be willing to bet that there are way more Toyota Camrys on the road than CJ/YJ/TJ/JKs. The Camry is just such a boring, marginal, "Ill have plain white bread and a glass of room temp tap water for dinner" kind of car that you just don't notice them. But, camry is out there in full force... making man after man turn in his beloved man card in exchange for fuel economy, perceived reliability, and practicality. My boss for example... no man card, but has a baby blue camry. He loves it, nearly as much as he loves scented candles and chinese food. Says its "the best car ever". How sensible of him. I love what you do for me, Toyota.
lol
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #453
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHammers View Post

I have to say the dealer must be.... a fool. to just change out a spark packs and hope you go away? It is MUCH cheaper to check for leak down to KNOW. Then to start the part shuffle. this reminds of what the dealers were doing back in 012. sparks packs , new lifters.....then finally ahhh replace the head.

to the guy that thinks its just a few. you drink the cool aid too. This issue was so bad that over 500 a week were coming back. Lots were filing with jeeps needing heads, no parts.........Jeep blamed it on anything from "bad fuel"(as if every state in the union had bad fuel. they blamed it on E10, driving styles... fact is this cost them a small fortune and has been well covered up. Google the issue it is not just Jeep but Minivans all platforms. Just hit the Jk early enough to still be in warranty. I still stand by the fact its a piss poor design to cast the exhaust manifold into the head. time will tell who is wrong and who is right.

If it passed the leak down then the heads are fine. Then it may a bad spark pack. But these engines you have to remove the intake to replace plugs, weel they say the plugs will go 100k. If that is true they are built better than the heads..................................
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #454
HAFICON
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine is fine.. Not a single tick (anymore) Had the head replaced about 2k miles ago amazing how much of a power gain I got back.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/blues-jeep-build-lots-pictures-1509366/[/url]
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #455
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I have to say the dealer must be.... a fool. to just change out a spark packs and hope you go away? It is MUCH cheaper to check for leak down to KNOW. Then to start the part shuffle. this reminds of what the dealers were doing back in 012. sparks packs , new lifters.....then finally ahhh replace the head.

to the guy that thinks its just a few. you drink the cool aid too. This issue was so bad that over 500 a week were coming back. Lots were filing with jeeps needing heads, no parts.........Jeep blamed it on anything from "bad fuel"(as if every state in the union had bad fuel. they blamed it on E10, driving styles... fact is this cost them a small fortune and has been well covered up. Google the issue it is not just Jeep but Minivans all platforms. Just hit the Jk early enough to still be in warranty. I still stand by the fact its a piss poor design to cast the exhaust manifold into the head. time will tell who is wrong and who is right.

If it passed the leak down then the heads are fine. Then it may a bad spark pack. But these engines you have to remove the intake to replace plugs, weel they say the plugs will go 100k. If that is true they are built better than the heads..................................
Remove the intake to replace plugs? Wow no thank you. They can have that. To me those are throw away engines. Really no such thing as even reusing the heads in a rebuild if other engine problems occur. Whats crazy is the 3.8L is not far off in power up to 4,000 rpm anyway. Where is the gain really if this little dude is so world class? My brother in law is a parts manager and Chrysler had brain washed them into thinking this engine was the best ever produced by Chrysler period. It wasn't a month later Jeeps and other vehicles started pouring in with head problems as well as timing chain guide problems too. He told me at one time they had 35 vehicles waiting for heads not just Jeeps either. If you are going to get away from the 3.8L and pay the amount of money for a Jeep these days they better have a CRD engine or small V8 otherwise its pointless especially with this engine not to mention guys who are wanting to trade a older JK for the newer one thats just retarded for the money involved.
Unread 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #456
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

In reading threw this thread I have seen the term..... service history....... mentioned...

If I was going to buy a used late model ( 2009 + ) Wrangler, either from a dealer or from a private party, how do I obtain the service history?

For example as I drove by a local dealer today I saw a red unlimited in the showroom and it said 2012 on the windshield...how would I know the service history?
Thanks!
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #457
Wubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

I did google it. They made 1,500,000 of the engines, and the highest number of failures I can find is 7500. Published by media, not some Internet forum user.

Still better than NASA.

If you say it's more, cite a reference. Otherwise, how do I know you know?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #458
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ask the service advisor, get the vin, walk over to a service writer ask him to pull it up and show you, a vehicle sale depends on it. If he doesn't, walk away.

But even with that, my specific jeep which was in over fourteen times in twelve months, 4 for repeats, one repeated five times, still only looked on paper as three oil changes, and a bad lock on a door. The service folks know how to rewrite the orders as they process them out. You have to look line by line in each writeup.
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #459
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post
Ask the service advisor, get the vin, walk over to a service writer ask him to pull it up and show you, a vehicle sale depends on it. If he doesn't, walk away.

But even with that, my specific jeep which was in over fourteen times in twelve months, 4 for repeats, one repeated five times, still only looked on paper as three oil changes, and a bad lock on a door. The service folks know how to rewrite the orders as they process them out. You have to look line by line in each writeup.
Good info!
Thank you.
Unread 02-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #460
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have to say the dealer must be.... a fool. to just change out a spark packs and hope you go away?
No.

The dealer is not hoping I'll go away. I've spent a ton of money there over several vehicle purchases, donate to the owner's ifopa barbecue fundraiser, work with her husband at my job, and pass along a lot of word-of-mouth free advertising for them. Its not like its costing them for my Jeep to have warranty work done.

For what its worth, I picked it up yesterday. They replaced coil pack #2 and its running like new again.

If it breaks again, I'll take it back & we'll go from there.
Unread 02-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #461
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I have had a few Jeeps
0622121632a.jpg

Unread 02-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #462
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Chill man...........................

Your incorrect dude, How is it I had 2 of these Pentastar engines with out one problem? The 2012 Wrangler was just fine and my 2013 is even better...............

Lemon laws are here for a reason. Some engines just are not built correctly.

Also FYI!!! if you do choose to burn Flex fuels in your VVT motor, you best treat that fuel or yes......its going to tick!

Whats so surprising?

Studies prove VVT engines need good fuel and very good oil.
Unread 02-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #463
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

A friend of mine bought a 2012 and just had the driver side head replaced. It started with a miss in cylinder 6. The dealer I use is where she went and they didn't give her a single problem. They also provided her a rental for free.
There are some dealers out there that know what the problem is and fix it right off.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
Unread 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #464
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=94beachxj;20188793]Chill man...........................

Your incorrect dude, How is it I had 2 of these Pentastar engines with out one problem? The 2012 Wrangler was just fine and my 2013 is even better...............

Lemon laws are here for a reason. Some engines just are not built correctly.

Also FYI!!! if you do choose to burn Flex fuels in your VVT motor, you best treat that fuel or yes......its going to tick!

Whats so surprising?

Studies prove VVT engines need good fuel and very good oil.[/QUOTE

I never said that troll, Jeep claims its E10(standard fuel for most pumps today) you know what e10 is son? its not flex e85.

to the rest only 7500? that is a joke published by Jeep.

First off few people that have a 2012+ jeep ever even come to this site at all. the numbers just dont add up. looking at Just these here then do the math.

sounds like health care numbers being tossed around by the CBO and Mr O.
Unread 02-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #465
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon View Post
In 2012 Jeep made over 700,000 wranglers.
Uhm, no. The Jeep Wrangler assembly line in Toledo has a capacity of 150,000 Wranglers per year, maybe can be pushed to 160,000/year at max production, and has been maxed out every year since 2011.

It *is* true, however, that Chrysler assembles more than 700,000 vehicles with the Pentastar engine every year. On the other hand, the Wrangler version of the Pentastar has a couple of unique castings due to the relocation of the alternator compared to the other applications so (shrug). Who knows?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.