How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Closed Thread
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #406
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
You're arguing for the sake of arguing and you're trying to argue a point that makes absolutely no sense.

The Pentastar head issue has nothing to do with the fact people are using evil ethanol-based fuel, Obama, entitled Americans, the Wrangler specifically, or the fact that just because you're using Super Pure Awesome Mega Gas, you're in the clear.

Can bad gas cause engine problems? Of course it can. Could ethanol be causing the issues present in these engines? It might be. Should it be? Absolutely not.

Please, just quit while you're behind.
It does not matter if I am correct or wrong on this matter. Because your going to do what you want to do as well as i at the end of the day. If this topic upsets you, then I will quit sharing my idea and studies on this matter.

But in closing, studies I find on the result of Blended fuels as gas-a-hol, have proven over and over to cause these results in modern combustion motors Unburned hydrocarbon emissions , from this fuel,and molecules in the engine that do not burn or burn only partially,could be the cause of ignition misfires, low compression, oil leakage past the rings or valves, or excessively rich mixture? Now is it true that the majority of the codes flashed on these pentastar engines are in the neighborhood of misfires? I see a common bond here.

With this lil tid bit of the info,and other info i read over the pas 3 yrs I will go.

Peace.

Unread 01-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #407
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wait. Now E10 is the reason the roads are littered left and right with broken-down pentastars?
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #408
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Edit. NVM, reread and complied. Carry on!
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #409
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber
The earlier builds thing is a myth. You normally don't start getting the MIL/check engine codes until about 10,000-12000 miles. Mine ran great even when it was erroring out. The clue is does it tick or not. If you go to the dealership and start a half-dozen of 2012's, you will here ticking on 3-4 of them. That ticking will get progressively worse until eventually you get the P0302 error or something similar. The Jeep will still run fine, but you will notice a slight hit in fuel mileage. I know someone with a Feb build date that just had a head replaced. They only recently determined the cause and I don't think they have implemented a fix in production yet. My driverside head was replaced a few months ago and mine is starting to tick again. I'm guessing that around 25,000 miles, it'll start to throw codes again.
I have the 3.6 pentistar in my 2012 caravan and recently got a misfire code - the dealer replaced the head to fix it now I get sucky mileage and less power...started at 35k

In doing research this affects jeep/Durango/ and any auto with this motor also I read that it is due to bad castings of the head..

Sent from busted up iPhone
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #410
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Research? Yes my favorite word! As well as Trial / error.

I as a Former Ford/ Chevy man, I have no beef with Chrysler! After GM and Ford stop backing their product, I was very happy to go to Chrysler! I have had 4 vehicles made by Chrysler since, I am much better off imo. The only concern I have had with Mopar in the past was the 2011 Ram express. Something was never right about the down shift on that truck. However it never threw codes, so hey score one for Dodge. I am very concerned about the recent recorded complaints on the 2013 new redesigned heads throwing codes I put 30 k on my 2012 Jeep with out a hitch. Why is it that my jeeps 2012/2013, has not thrown codes after 20 k plus? I say lets keep searching ! Peace.
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #411
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj
Research? Yes my favorite word! As well as Trial / error.

I as a Former Ford/ Chevy man, I have no beef with Chrysler! After GM and Ford stop backing their product, I was very happy to go to Chrysler! I have had 4 vehicles made by Chrysler since, I am much better off imo. The only concern I have had with Mopar in the past was the 2011 Ram express. Something was never right about the down shift on that truck. However it never threw codes, so hey score one for Dodge. I am very concerned about the recent recorded complaints on the 2013 new redesigned heads throwing codes I put 30 k on my 2012 Jeep with out a hitch. Why is it that my jeeps 2012/2013, has not thrown codes after 20 k plus? I say lets keep searching ! Peace.
Research = googled , chrysler forums and talking with tech who replaced the head.

Unread 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #412
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Research = googled , chrysler forums and talking with tech who replaced the head.

Good advice.

After looking around for more Chrysler tech talk, I found this post....."A word to all about the flexfuel usage. Read your owners manual (download it from the internet) and the User's Manual. There are some things you need to know before filling up with E85.
The 3.6 is a winner! "
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #413
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?
Mine is OK since the head was replaced.
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #414
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb

Mine is OK since the head was replaced.
Did u notice any power loss?

Unread 01-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #415
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play
Did u notice any power loss? Sent from busted up iPhone
Now that you mention it, maybe 10% or so but I do have 51k on it now.
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #416
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Wait. Now E10 is the reason the roads are littered left and right with broken-down pentastars?
Yes that is to those that test this crap gas in a lab.
I am not going to harp on the harm this fuel does to engines anymore on this thread.
But I will post this scientific study.
"Ethanol is more corrosive and burns hotter than gasoline, properties that could cause some engines to stall, misfire and overheat,"

/035205_ethanol_gasoline_engines.html#ixzz2qP8qwtX0

I have been paying strict attention to the accounts in here on the signs and symptoms of the Pentastar failures. Did that quote MISSFIRES ring a "bell"?

Look if my positive testimony on the two jeeps I had in the past with "real" gas does not turn your opinion. Let a scientist at least speak his mind.
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #417
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes that is to those that test this crap gas in a lab. I am not going to harp on the harm this fuel does to engines anymore on this thread. But I will post this scientific study. "Ethanol is more corrosive and burns hotter than gasoline, properties that could cause some engines to stall, misfire and overheat," /035205_ethanol_gasoline_engines.html#ixzz2qP8qwtX0 I have been paying strict attention to the accounts in here on the signs and symptoms of the Pentastar failures. Did that quote MISSFIRES ring a "bell"? Look if my positive testimony on the two jeeps I had in the past with "real" gas does not turn your opinion. Let a scientist at least speak his mind.
The link isn't a link.

There aren't any flex fuel wranglers.

Plenty of 3.6 wranglers run E10 without issue.

You're beating a dead horse.
We get it, you don't like ethanol.
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #418
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
The link isn't a link.

There aren't any flex fuel wranglers.

Plenty of 3.6 wranglers run E10 without issue.

You're beating a dead horse.
We get it, you don't like ethanol.
Yea your correct there on the dead horse. thang bro.

I lost my job a week ago so I'm a bored/broke dead beat..................now.

However I just got hired by a new company! So I will not be in here as much as of late.

btw.... Its not as cool or fun being a "dead beat" as proclaimed! lol

Work is a good thang!
peace.
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #419
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:

Yea your correct there on the dead horse. thang bro.

I lost my job a week ago so I'm a bored/broke dead beat..................now.

However I just got hired by a new company! So I will not be in here as much as of late.

btw.... Its not as cool or fun being a "dead beat" as proclaimed! lol

Work is a good thang!
peace.
Good luck on the new job

Unread 01-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #420
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Glad I have a 3.8L.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.