How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Closed Thread
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #391
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank

I apologize if I'm being ignorant here, but what the **** are you talking about?
Lol
Ok it's not just me who doesn't understand his jibber jabber.

This isn't like Chrysler made the engine 20 years ago and ethanol is a new thing. They built it for the current market. I don't like ethanol fuel or other things being shoved down out throats, but it's here and judging by what I see globally, not going away. If every other manufacturer was having issues building new cars to run on our fuel it would be a different scenario.

94beachxj
I don't understand the entitlement comment. If you think I have a problem with entitlement you're a complete moron. Nothing in my post has a shred of entitlement in it at all.
Go ahead and put your tin foil hat back on and blame everything on government conspiracies. Sounds like you have an issue with accountability.

Unread 01-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #392
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
Thanks for posting how your pentastar did after going Syn. I have been waiting and chomping at the bits to get Ams-oil in the crankcase. But so far Chrysler has no syn oil or any after mrk oil that meets the manufactures specs.

I will wait. Taps is only best heard on a on a bugle, not a engine..............
Pretty sure I read on the bottle of Pennzoil Platinum synthetic that it exceeds all Chrysler Manufacturer specs.
This quote taken from their website;
"•Pennzoil Platinum® 5W-20 exceeds Chrysler MS-6395,"
http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pe...Specifications
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #393
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM1964 View Post
Pretty sure I read on the bottle of Pennzoil Platinum synthetic that it exceeds all Chrysler Manufacturer specs.
This quote taken from their website;
"•Pennzoil Platinum® 5W-20 exceeds Chrysler MS-6395,"
http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pe...Specifications
I am aware what Pennzoil says about their brand of oil. BUT....Jeep's
owners Manuel states to use Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil. Also with an ILSAC standard of GF5 is recommended.

Pennzoil will not honor any premature damage on your engine, nor will Chrysler if you do not follow proper instructions.

I think Amsoil is the best oil made, but Amsoil will not back my pentastar engine if it fails. Neither will Chrysler. So I am going to wait. And is your engine still tapping? I would be concern about any tapping or ticking.

Thanks.
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #394
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
....Jeep's
owners Manuel states to use Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil. Also with an ILSAC standard of GF5 is recommended.
Thanks.
Quoted verbatim from the 2013 jeep wranglers owners manual on page 568 under the heading of "synthetic motor oils"
"You may use synthetic motor oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed."

And just to clarify my engine has never started tapping, you have me confused with another poster in this thread.
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #395
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Lol
Ok it's not just me who doesn't understand his jibber jabber.

This isn't like Chrysler made the engine 20 years ago and ethanol is a new thing. They built it for the current market. I don't like ethanol fuel or other things being shoved down out throats, but it's here and judging by what I see globally, not going away. If every other manufacturer was having issues building new cars to run on our fuel it would be a different scenario.

94beachxj
I don't understand the entitlement comment. If you think I have a problem with entitlement you're a complete moron. Nothing in my post has a shred of entitlement in it at all.
Go ahead and put your tin foil hat back on and blame everything on government conspiracies. Sounds like you have an issue with accountability.
I am not much of a poet or good speaker. So I apologize that my post are a struggle to understand. My point is on the Pentastar failing. I am at a point of protesting about the bad fuels at the pump being a major factor on the failure of this VVT engine! Try to run a lawn mower in the cold weather on corn gas for example. I understand that many feel / think fuel of any kind doe not reach critical engine parts. I can only disagree with those. But to those like me that understand fuel does effect the engine in more ways than the fuel system, should at least hear me out. I have owned 2 jeeps with the pentastar engine. I always use good gas. Real gasoline most of the time.If unable to reach a gas station with 100% gasoline, I treat the fuel with stabilizers.I am confident this is the primary reason I have had no engine failures thus far. i like to share the things that work for me to help others. If it offends you all I am sorry.
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #396
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

Also quoted on page 567 in the same manual under the heading "Engine oil Selection"
"For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395"
Pennzoil platinum and ultra synthetics both meet these standards and surpass them for that matter.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #397
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

" Nothing in my post has a shred of entitlement in it at all. "

I beg to differ.

I do not think its the Manufactures fault/responsibility of what kind of fuels work best in our vehicles. How can you hold any car manufacture under the gun to make a combustion engine to work at peak performance on fuels that cause moisture, water, crud, rust in critical components?

Unleaded fuels is what is required in the pentastar engine PERIOD! When you use fuels that are modified with corn,meth, etc...... that should be on the owner, you not the car manufacture. So yes it is entitlement to suggest the Manufacture is to be responsible for a owners neglect. Sorry but its common sense. If you make a poor choice you get poor results. Your idea that the Car manufacture is responsible for a owner's neglect, is a form of "entitlement" ...

BTW.....Why do you think there is a Warning sticker on every gas pump that has any % of corn in the tanks in the ground?

IF You use crap materials you get crappy results.
Again its not Chrysler's fault!

Peace
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #398
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Also quoted on page 567 in the same manual under the heading "Engine oil Selection"
"For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395"
Pennzoil platinum and ultra synthetics both meet these standards and surpass them for that matter.
Wish I could trust that info you got there. But the guys at Chrysler still tell me its best to use dino oil in a VVT pentastar. I really want to use syn oil but this engine is so different than my other older jeep engines, I am not risking it. The guy that posted about his engine tapping after he switched to syn oil, is enough to keep me staying with dino oil.
Once you damage a motor like that, its no turning back.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #399
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

First you tell me that the owners manual states to use only " Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil"
I show you were the owners manual states exactly the opposite and qute that manual for you then you state "the guys at Chrysler still tell me its best to use dino oil in a VVT pentastar" Which is it?
I have my doubts but if you say so then be happy with dino oil.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #400
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
First you tell me that the owners manual states to use only " Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil"
I show you were the owners manual states exactly the opposite and qute that manual for you then you state "the guys at Chrysler still tell me its best to use dino oil in a VVT pentastar" Which is it?
I have my doubts but if you say so then be happy with dino oil.
My owners Manuel does not have that clause about syn oil.
For both the 2012 and 2013 I showed you what is required. Conventional oil.
I am not using any syn oil on this weird motor till its been affirmed by the manufacture. I hate the fact Ams- oil will not back their product on my Jeeps.
So I am not going to take a chance .

BTW do you you have a different type Manuel. ? I do not see anything in mine about using syn oils.

There has to be something in the VVT of this motor that has caused all the uncertainty on the syn oil thing. I guess.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #401
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
blah blah blah
You're arguing for the sake of arguing and you're trying to argue a point that makes absolutely no sense.

The Pentastar head issue has nothing to do with the fact people are using evil ethanol-based fuel, Obama, entitled Americans, the Wrangler specifically, or the fact that just because you're using Super Pure Awesome Mega Gas, you're in the clear.

Can bad gas cause engine problems? Of course it can. Could ethanol be causing the issues present in these engines? It might be. Should it be? Absolutely not.

Please, just quit while you're behind.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #402
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

Page #567;

Page #568
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #403
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I do not have that book.....wow. Guess my dealer short changed me.My Manuel does not look like yours,I think I need to take a trip to town! lol

But I am not going to switch to syn till I find a proven syn lubricant thats able to meet the VVT requirements of this pentastar.

Have you ever heard of this oil? I am going to do more research on this VVT special oil. Thanks for the owners Manuel pic.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #404
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Driven by Gibbs?
index.jpg

Unread 01-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #405
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

Your warranty is with Chrysler, meet Chrysler's needs not anyone else's.
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.